1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft patents advert-based CAPTCHAs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Grrrrrrrr!
    I don't blame the marketers, they have to keep spammers at bay and it is a neat idea.
    But its gonna be SOOO annoying.

I blame the spammers that force companies to use things like CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

If i am visiting a website that requires me to do this - i will no longer visit the website. simple.

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

So MS want to prevent spam on forums by spamming my web browsing experience with more adverts.

5. loner1994

loner1994 oc newbe (sort of)

i have a fealing that this will just trun people away from all sites that have these new captchas

6. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Why don't they use random questions? They seem to be very good.

7. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Smart from the marketing perspective, will be met with anger from most else..

8. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Microsoft are the anti Google.
    "Don't be evil" vs "Be evil and milk consumers as much as possible"

What's so wrong with reCAPTCHA, it helps save our heritage by digitising old books?

9. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

These concepts to keep spammers out is good. Twisting it to be yet another ad is bad. As has already been stated, I'll just stop using the site.

In fact a few sites I've been visiting for years, mainly niche topics, have recently gone to a pay for access model. About the same price as a cheap magazine subscription. My first thought was anger... but then I realized that the sites have good information (better than almost all others on the same topic), get lots of updates and the admins have worked diligently to keep it spam free. Plus the fact I do subscribe to a few paper magazines so why should I feel differently about a site that gives me the same "entertainment" or even more for a comparable price?

I see this model becoming more popular, especially for niche sites that don't want to get involved with ads and such.

10. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Another example of how MBAs and anything computer should be kept far far apart!

Yours in Anti-Advertising Anti-Captcha Crap Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Ditto

That's not true at all. Microsoft bring a lot of innovations to the market, they just don't always have the best way of implementing certain things on the first go-round, but they always refine their ideas to match what the consumers want more closely.

12. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

wow.... that's utterly brilliant .. marketing genius if you ask me.... not that I'd enjoy such a thing however :) hopefully they refine it in such a way that it doesnt end up sucking

Tags: Add Tags