1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Microsoft PC Hardware Day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Sep 2007.

1. xyz_sport

xyz_sport What's a Dremel?

The thing I like most about the Presenter mouse is that it's comfortable to hold upside down, and thus easier to use those functions... From what the Memory 8000 looks like, I doubt you could hold it that way.

BTW, They also made the Digital Sound System. It's pretty good, actually - too bad they stopped supporting it.

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i wish they made a real force feedback game pad.....

3. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

honestly, i just want a corded MX Revolution.

4. IccleD

IccleD What's a Dremel?

I still use a Microsoft Optical Trackball, occasionally a Microsoft Strategic Commander & up until recently a Microsoft Keyboard. The keyboard had an accident with a cup of coffee, and was replaced by a G15, but only because I liked the idea of the Macro Buttons and LCD display.

I can't fault MS Hardware, I've never had any problems, and if I'm honest, all the above are at least 5+ years old and still work like new.

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I like the shape and feel of MS hardware, but I did have one keyboard go wacko.
    no drinks spilled on it or anything, but now the arrow keys do other things and the win key doesn't, etc.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Probably the pins got knackered or theres dirt inside the shell. Take all keys off, give it hoover and then pop em all back in and I'd have thought it would be ok..

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm.

>where we tried to think of any specific piece of hardware made by Microsoft which wasn’t a mouse or keyboard.
    >A later revision of the game ruled out webcams too, after that addendum we were stumped.

and two pages later:

>since the Sidewinder line effectively died off.

Microsoft also built Joysticks and steering wheels (both with a good price->quality ratio). And I think I remember a Game commander something, like a non-moving mouse with ten buttons for AoE or the likes ;-)

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have a microsoft mouse, that is about a year old. The scroll wheel only works in one direction (I have now idea how it manages that) and the right click is intermittant.
    With the new mouse, have they gone back to a clicky scrool wheel? Smooth ones are rubbish for games (and pretty much anything else IMO)

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

high five! ms natural keyboards Cheesecake

in fact MS peripherals are all pretty bloody good, just the logitech MX series of mice was much better then the intellimice of the time
    although both logitech and MS' new mice are pretty dire imo

10. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

I would have finished reading the article. But I got distracted; by the fact that you couldn’t remember they made the sidewinder joystick. Of all the devices to forget, how did you forget that one? They have as mentioned made the finger print reader, the steering wheel, and a few other random devices along the way, I could also be so picky as to point out the microphone as well, while not the most complex device, still a peripheral.

As a side note, they have made some solid keyboards and wireless mice. They aren’t really tagged for enthusiasts so much, well aside from the new sidewinder and the MS Razor collaboration. But for the HTPC and general user they work quite well. Though I usually do point people towards logitech, they seem to have more features with less cost on a lot of devices. But I wont discredit MS for some good designs over the years, especially with their keyboards.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I never owned a sidewinder, which is why it didn't occur to me, that's all. As soon as we got into the event, I slapped my head and said "Oh, yeah".

Tags: Add Tags