1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft plans cheap XP package

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

So they're stopping XP standard in 2008 but making a new edition untill 2009?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Seems like.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Is it just me or does that seem like a waste?

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

nah starter edition has been aroound for a good while now. what's new is the licensing package and the low price.

tbh i dont see this displacing piracy or open source, especially in east asian countries.

6. quack

quack New Member

Well Microsoft wouldn't exactly be making a fortune out of the countries this programme is for, and they'll still be supporting XP until 2014 anyway. When SP3 gets released, that'll be extended another 5 years. :)

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

$3 is still a lot more than a pirated version when you live on only a few dollars a week. Barely seems worth it, would free not be a more suitable way of getting people hooked licensed. From there try and change the mind set which says better to pirate than bother with a license.

8. inflatable

inflatable New Member

If you you live on only a few dollars a week I doubt you can afford a PC or even have any need for it.. So what's the point?

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think this is good in the way it is cheap for us, but it is still expensive for some countries and linux would be a better bet.

10. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove New Member

hehe ofcource it's an attempt to get into growing markets, just like apple used to sell their mac's cheap to education institutions (don't know if they still do). But considering the fact that say half the people here on Bit-tech (who are ofcource tech savy :D) still can't be bothered to console hack their way through Linux, how are you going to expect people who have never touched a computer to know how. (yes yes I know I'm going to get flamed about how easy Linux is to install now, but I'm sorry it just does not beat windows).

All in all i think this is a great initiative sure MS might be fishing for new markets but in the mean time they will at least help people who might otherwise not get helped.

11. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark New Member

y'know, Bill, there are low income areas in your own country. The public schools here in my city are so poor that I hear the home schooling rate is approaching 25% for the high schools, because the public schools just aren't teaching anything. Maybe Bill should start in his backyard if he wants to save the world; there are plenty of stupid americans.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Pfft, we can't even be bothered to upgrade to Vista!

Last edited: 19 Apr 2007
  13. jezmck

jezmck Well-Known Member

QFT. ;)

also, giving people computers doesn't make them any less stupid.

14. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove New Member

LOL true true :lol:

15. Swafeman

Swafeman Active Member

Im going to import a copy

hehe

16. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

So, if they can do this for other people, why not do it for everyone?
    The reason people generally pirate is high costs, lower the cost across the board and more people will purchase it. Of course there will still be those which are cheap buggers and do it anyway.

17. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

If these nations grow up on Linux then, when they become major economic powers (and that time is coming), MS dies. This is only available through MS selected channels - NOT to individuals. Therefore:
    That is all.

18. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

If you'd read the article you'd note that it's for governments who purchase computers for educational environments and so it would be the countries as a whole buying the software, not its individual citizens.
    Seems like a fair enough plan to me...the open source software out there is pretty good but having a slimline XP instead trains the users to the Windows environment which they're more likely to encounter in employment. It's good to see projects like this and the OLPC initiative gaining more steam. I can see the ethical question of this over Open Source alternatives, but at £1.50 it's incredibly cheap for Windows and Office, and to be honest I'm not one of those who thinks that everything should be Open Source...it just doesn't work.

<A88>

19. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Who cares about the emerging nations, I want Office for £1.50.

20. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

So, this shows that MS could give away XP for £1.50 now. Why do we still have to pay through the nose for it? TBH if i could get genuine XP for £30 I would... Instead i still have to fork out ~£150 for retail. I wonder why people pirate!

Tags: Add Tags