1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft plans Windows 10 preview upgrade path

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The idea of upgrading to a new OS without doing a full, clean wipe and install leaves me cold.

..I'd have that nagging feeling that it just wasn't operating at full efficiency, in that way only a full clean install can.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Its a good move. Going from preview to release will be no more troublesome than updating with a service pack.

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

This is excellent new. I would never to an upgrade without a clean install ex. win7 to win10. Upgrading from win10 consumer preview to win10 retail/OEM should be like installing sp1. I will likely install this the day it releases and if it's any good buy it the day I can get it with a student discount.

5. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

I like this idea.
    I've got the win 10 preview running on a basic browsing/media machine and it's not the kind of thing I'm going to be formatting very often so being able to just upgrade to a full release version sounds great to me.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I don't understand your perspective on this. You are going from a pre-release version of 10 to a retail version of 10, not upgrading from a version of 8 to 10 so it's hardly 'upgrading to a new OS'.

Personally I don't see this as a massive stumbling block any way. Yes it makes things a little easier but hardly a deal breaker, not for me any way.

7. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Agreed.

8. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

+ONE

9. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Good move by Microsoft.