1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft reduces Vista prices

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Well, good. Though I doubt it will effect what I'l pay for that copy of oem home premium 64 I intend to buy when I have a use for it much ;) but then it won't effect my decision on when and if I buy by much either .. :)

3. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I'll take my $20 student copy, thanks ;)

4. Orlix

Orlix What's a Dremel?

My main reason for not adopting Vista is that I do not see a benefit of having it vs the time needed to install everyting again. I would not do an upgrade as I have had bad experiences with it. I would do a clean install.

5. Kufwit

Kufwit What's a Dremel?

Who buys retail these days, I get OEM and pass the system on as a whole when I'm done with it.

Besides thers no way I'm splashing out £70 for a performance hit, no matter how shiny the interface. XP all the way till something more than Crysis needs it.

6. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

why did i know this wouldnt apply to oem before i even clicked on the link

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I splashed out on Vista (OEM) for the new system (I had to buy that or another XP OEM) and I'm starting to regret it. The extra security features might be good in an office situation but for the careful home user they just get in the way. Aero bling doesn't make up for a slow Start menu (5 clicks to open most programs) and half-finished Mail programs.

A price drop is only to be expected, XP got cheaper after the initial rush had died down. Even now Vista prices vary a lot, depending on where you buy - £52-£91 for HP OEM by a quick look at Google Shopping.

8. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

No thanks, I'll stick to XP.

9. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

It may be $80 cheaper to upgrade to Vista Ultimate now, but your still going to have to fork out £100+ for a DX10 graphics card to make it worthwhile. Maybe when there are more games that require Vista.

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Still on XP until I get tempted (ie, have spare monies!)

11. Hydra

Hydra Dude.

Great, now just lower XP to $50, and we're all happy :D

Noob question: What's OEM?

12. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

I'm on my switch over to linux phase laptop dual boots and desktop is ubuntu I doubt I'll ever use vista and time will tell if I use windows ever again after I finish my switch.

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Welcome to the dark side, David!

I think you'll discover a couple of things, one that you don't use Windows much after you switch and two, that and OS is an OS is an OS, they all do pretty much the same thing, you just find the one you prefer.

14. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Original Equipment Manufacturer OEM

:)

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

OEM versions are considerably cheaper copies sold to people who are
    • Building a system from bits, usually to sell but for yourself counts

• Providing technical support for that system
    Activation ties that DVD serial number to that motherboard, upgrade the motherboard and you may need a new copy of Vista. Or hopefully, Win 7 ;).

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'll stick to XP

17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Agreed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Who needs Aero anyway when they're running Milkdrop as their desktop wall paper. :)

[​IMG]

Click for biggy! Beautiful stuff.

18. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Completely unrelated: Aero's are shite. Dell tried a laptop like that in 2000 with the Latitude LS. It flopped. Same goes for the iPod. Apple is a company of experts that know how to make mediocre look stunning. There's not a great difference between them and those daytime TV make-over artists.

XP works for me, what's the use of good memory management when it gobbles half of your available ram to do it?

19. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Imho its not that surprising that it uses a bit more memory than XP does really.

Whats really is surprising to me though is how many people to this day still confuse the memory management's pre-loading of commonly used data for quicker access (and releasing instantaneously if other date needs to go in since the new data can over-write the old with no intermediate steps required and thus no real slow-down) with it gobbling up half there memory. :eeek: ;)

20. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Quite frankly Vista feels a bit like the whole WinME/2000 period repeating itself. Two OS's that made me go back to using Win98 until WinXP SP1 arrived. Hopefully by the time Windows 7 arrives there'll be a greater impetus and genuine need to upgrade to a new (better) OS.

Tags: Add Tags