1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft reissues Windows 8.1 Update 1 via WSUS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Apr 2014.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I knew this was going to happen (because hey, this is Bit-Tech! :p). I was trying to explain the difference between an application that does something on the computer, and an application that does something to the computer.

It is simple: let an application do something to your computer = accept the risk. Don't feel confident to? Don't let it mess with your computer. If you do allow it, it's on your own head.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And that sentence is a much better way of doing that than confusing the matter by trying to claim that not all applications are programs or vice-versa!

3. Nexxo

Whoa, I'm not. All applications are programs, but not all programs are applications. Now I agree that you can argue that an installer or, say, registry cleaner is an application that makes changes to your PC.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, you did. You perhaps didn't mean to, but you did. Your post began:
    (My emphasis.)

That was my complaint with your post: every single one of those UAC dialogues refers to an application asking permissions to make changes to the operating system. Thus "those are not applications" is, in fact, untrue.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Between an application and a program ? not really, but i do see the difference between software that does or doesn't want to make changes to the computer. But seeing as something like notepad.exe would cause a UAC prompt I'm not sure judging what does or doesn't make changes to the computer works.
    You mean like Notepad.exe ? or Calc.exe
    And that brings us back around to the details i posted to refute GoodBytes original claim that UAC "is a system to provide a serious level of protection which so far has not been by-passed since it's introduction in Vista (good work Microsoft)" And i still refute the claim that UAC can't be disabled or by-passed.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Notepad and calc does not prompt UAC, even when UAC is set at the highest level.
    I am still waiting for that video...

That is just something you choose to not believe, despite the facts

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I find it funny but not surprising that such an argument, with so much finger pointing has ensued and yet there has been not a single suggested solution to my original problem. That Office would not install once I updated to 8.1 due to it's statement that I needed to be an Admin.

8. GoodBytes

Turn on UAC, restart, and run the setup.
    And you said that you switched to Win7. So does it mater?

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Then explain...
    [​IMG]
    And
    [​IMG]

And if you think I'm going to make a video just because you refuse to believe that UAC can be disabled or by-passed, you are going to have a long wait as I'm not inclined to go to the bother for someone who shows such a lack of manners.

Perhaps if you weren't so offensive and rude to people, telling them they are idiots, and how they "were just trying to find an excuse" and "your parents are stuck with WIn7 due to your close mind set." you may find people react more positively to your demands.

If you want further proof have a browse through Microsoft's patching history for every time they mention elevated privileges, because every single one of those security flaws could have bypassed UAC.

10. GoodBytes

Those are pictures you got from the internet. Not your system.
    There is a content behind it. For example, the notepad one could be instructions to write a files in a Windows system folder. So to that, one way, is to run Notepad as elevated credentials. The calc one, was probably the user showing the UAC dialog box how it looks like, and just happened to to pick this program.

I have not insulted you, nor called you an idiot.

11. SchizoFrog

Done, didn't make a difference, next suggestion please or is that the sum total of your attempts at being helpful?. As for it mattering, of course it matters. There is a serious problem to be resolved for future reference.

12. Nexxo

Didn't mean to. I stand corrected. :)

Does that happen on your PC? Because it never happened on my Vista or Win8 install.

It can't without user consent.

But that doesn't help schizofrog.

You're right. Let's try the following:

Open command prompt in Admin mode. Type: net user administrator /active: yes

See if that helps.

Alternatively, something may have screwed with the permissions of the Start Menu folder.

go to:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

right click Programs folder, go to properties, go to the security tab, click edit

click the "Everyone' group, check full control. make sure the boxes are all populated with checkmarks, hit apply, then OK, then OK

now open the Programs folder

if the folder "Microsoft Office 2013" does not exist, then create one;

open "Microsoft Office 2013" directory

inside of it, create "Office 2013 Tools"

now try to install office again as Admin.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2014
    G0UDG likes this.
  13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Selective memory much ? Let me refresh it for you...
    If that is not calling someone an idiot IDK what is.

And you have still failed to address all the other means of by-passing UAC or disabling it, such as all the security patches Microsoft have issued that address what you are claiming has never been done. And all the other articles i provided giving details on how it is possible to by-pass or disable UAC.

14. SchizoFrog

Thanks Nexxo, I shall make a note of those suggestions and try them out at some point soon. Oh, and it is Office 2007 by the way. :)

Ultimately though, I don't see why I should have to play around with cmd prompt and other complicated methods just to install software made and authorised by Microsoft themselves.

15. SchizoFrog

P.S. Bit-Tech, I still don't like being bounced in to the forums each time I comment. :(

16. Nexxo

It's certainly not what is supposed to happen. Most of the time I have an effortless install, but I too have occasionally run into problems. C'est la vie d'ordinateur... :)

17. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

really what was the point of doing a war in this topic (cant imagine how many pages there are on the forum view)

and to clear things up
    turning off UAC makes all programs run as admin with no prompt for admin its up to the program to call for admin but if UAC is off then the app is all ready running as admin level all ready (unless the account is a standard account), also system level changes the app must understand it needs admin so if it does not call for admin to make UAC trigger then you get the normal fail to save changes bla bla message if the app is very old, if UAC is off the program was all ready started with full admin rights so it can do whatever it once

calc or notepad should not be showing yellow on a certified program(unless its been modified)

-------------------------------------------------------------

somewhere in the upgrade to windows 8.1 something broke

next time when you do the upgrade to windows 8.1 you Only need to install 2 windows updates to make the upgrade show in the app store (currently its KB2871389 and KB2917499 but that may change > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/why-can-t-find-update-store )

personally its faster to install start menu classic and let the customer deal with windows 8 updates unless they have a i3 cpu maybe i do the updates (i just advise them to do the updates,if they ignore the upgrade nag box its not my issue) this is what i do now as loading windows 7 on a windows 8 laptop i found to be annoying (as they make sure they use parts that windows 7 has No drivers for on windows update any way)

you can install windows 7 and be done with it or load a "copy" of windows 8.1 (or windows 8.1 update 1.... once a slipstreamed version come out) and make windows activated, it can be installed under same time as windows 7 install

i do hate MS for NOT letting you install a fresh free copy of windows 8.1 on a OEM laptop that has a windows 8 OEM BIOS KEY, you have to install windows 8 then upgrade it to windows 8.1 and then install windows update 1 how stupid, (takes about 7-3 hours depending if its a shity amd E type bobcat cpu that some users are getting or if its a intel i3 cpu,, the E type cpus HATE .NET)

windows 7 i just use a slipstreamed disk(use the Key on the system) that has most of the updates till 0-3 months ago so i only have to install 5-15 updates i can have a system fully ready in under 1 hour (from blank pc no OS)

if MS keeps up with this i can see us all running macs so the UI stays consistant, windows 7 was an improvement and listened to there user base and was a massive improvement all windows had to do was do what they did under the hud on the currant mess on win8 and slap windows 8 on it (official version would be 6.2 or 6.3) they would of been sold lots and every one would of been happy (they could of added an app store or optionally the metro app interface)

windows 8 is like ok we will screw over 80% of are user base and make drastic UI change that makes 2 UI's in one OS, with the main one that most users basic features been removed (start menu and other things) and then Screw over corp customers with mandatory updates, i would dread to use windows 8 in a corp set up the cost to re train there monkeys to do Very basic tasks (how to get back to desktop when your stuck on a green screen) would cost them a lot of money compared to just moving to windows 7

Last edited: 19 Apr 2014
  18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Because this is Bit-Tech :confused:
    And only 2.

19. Nexxo

:p

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

but not dedicating it to a user who could not install office after a failed windows 8.1 upgrade

the problem with window vista was Drivers problems (and superfetch making high disk i/o and system restore/shadow copy service) with windows 8 is UI change and broke a load of stuff as well and high disk I/O usage sometimes (windows update and metro update seems to be competing making a temporary UAC launch deadlock for 2-15 mins until it finishes whatever it is doing)

i have found it very rare to find a windows 7 computer to poo on itself unless it was user inflicted or hardware issue (force power off when doing windows update, has a 50/50 chance of braking something if you do that)

all i am saying is if they made windows 8 as an upgrade to windows 7 (like what they did from vista to 7) make it all flashy like apple does with their minor updates + features that the user does Not have to use (every 2-3 years), all they had to do was under the hood fixes like vista to 7 and add an Optional App store job done, you do Not just do a Drastic UI change in one pop, windows 8 is like going from well windows OS to a blackberry playbook (hidden gestures)

i am still contemplating if i should bother with windows 8.1 "+what ever update we are on now" on my new system i am going to be buying hopefully soon, but as i can deal with it and i have an SSD its not as much an issue personally to use windows 8 (once startisback or start8 or start menu classic is installed that is)

Last edited: 20 Apr 2014