1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft Research launches Path Guide indoor navigation app

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 17 Jul 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I thought the strength of the earths magnetic field changed over time, does that happen really slowly so wouldn't effect things much or would the guide leader have to re-walk the route every few years.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Let me put it this way: when was the last time you had to send your compass needle in to the shop for recalibration?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well that explains why my compass recalibration shop went bankrupt. ;)

Seriously though i thought a compass works on N + S regardless of the strength of the magnetic field, whereas this seems to be using the strength of the field.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

DISCLAIMER: I've done no researcher further than reading the Microsoft Research announcement. However, it seems to me that minor - and they will be minor - variations in the Earth's geomagnetic field would be swamped by major variations in the local magnetic field due to things like air conditioning motors being on or off at any given time. In other words: I'm hoping Microsoft has a solution for variations in the magnetic field, which they may well have by the fact they talk about using other sensors in addition to the magnetometer.

Might download the thing myself, give it a go. See if it'll guide me up the stairs to and from the office with my eyes closed. Update the post from hospital if not.

Corky42 likes this.
Tags: Add Tags