1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft responds to Yahoo!'s rejection

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Feb 2008.

1. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Microsoft wants Yahoo! I suspect for two reasons. Even if Yahoo! isn't top dog in the internet searching business anymore, they once were. They aren't slouches. They knew what they were doing and probably still do. There is also name recognition. If MS eats Yahoo, then it'll probably send a metaphorical chill down other competitors backs. In addition it gives them more strength to fight "Teh Google" (sic) and that is what I suspect the true goal is. I believe that for whatever reason, rather then developing internally a search/gateway/etc development team, they want to just snatch up Yahoo! and their talent and manipulate it from their into their own image.

Google is probably one of Microsoft's few 'true' competitors, except for maybe Apple. In the way that MS and Apple fights computers, MS and Google fight for the interwebz. At least this is how i see it. Any corrections or errata may be appended in a reply. :p

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Ads. Google owns online advertising, and Yahoo is next on the dogpile. MS hasn't been able to get the online advertising revenue thing figured out, and so they are doing what MS has always done, buy talent.

Yahoo also comes with a huge user base who use the sites (chat, flikr, blogs, messenger, etc etc, and who look at ads. I think MS is seeing that they can't survive as a monopolistic software company forever and so are diversifying into other areas.

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

yahoo is going to get taken over, if they like it or not

Tags: Add Tags