1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft reveals Windows 7 release date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Jun 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Bit Tech/CPC needs to start a boycott/petition for all Vista owners to get a heavily discounted upgrade to Win7

3. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Cool. I quite like the RC so far.

4. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

This is welcome news to me as the RC seems to run sweet as a nut, especially when compared to the abomination that is ME2. However, have any of the manufacturers advised whether or not they intend to ditch Vista completely and supply only Windows 7 yet? Hopefully at least some of the larger concerns will! While they may be essentially the same under the hood I personally have had far fewer problems with Windows 7.

5. Vode

Vode What's a Dremel?

I see people saying this, but I don't understand why they would possibly do something like that, or why you feel entitled to it. Yes, I own my own copy of Vista, but I don't see why I should get Windows 7 any cheaper than the next person, Vista was an excellent operating system in itself and I got what I payed for.

6. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I can't believe there is still this ******** torrent of hatred for vista.

It's a great operating system, it just got bad press cos OEMs were putting it on machines too slow to run it...

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Vista was ahead of its time, just like Crysis, that's why it got bad reviews.

using Vista SP2 now, boots faster than Hackintosh, very responsive and perfect. will be switching to Win7 and buy a SSD come October, but not sure what's all the hype about? it's essentially Vista with UAC turned down and a Mac styled task bar.

8. Gundam God

Gundam God What's a Dremel?

If the upgrade was say £10-£20 then sure i'd probably get it. Since it won't be I see no reason to move from Vista which is a great OS way better than XP.

I see myself sticking with Vista until a proper new windows is released.

9. <Blake>

<Blake> What's a Dremel?

i sense gundamn god and wuyanxu, aren't running vista on a netbook... or windows seven for that matter.

10. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

Windows 7 is pretty much the SP3 of Vista. I'm not complaining, but I'm glad I did not go through the growth pains of this development.

Now I get the benefits of a lack of sourness in my mouth from buying Vista and move on to Windows 7 from XP.

Yeaa for me, I'm not apart of the Vista good/bad arguments.

11. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

I still love my Vista 64. Not sure what all the bad feedback about it is, never had any issues with it.

Might goto Win 7 at a later date, but content with Vista for sure, do not regret getting it...

12. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Don't get me wrong, I like the feature set added in Vista and have used it at home but from a support perspective it's a serious PITA. There are enough differences to make the average user panic when pretty much anything unexpected happens yet enough similarities that they feel that they ought to know what they're doing. Windows 7 looks different enough (even though it isn't) that they're likely to ask first before clicking "Yes" at random. Well, I can hope anyway!

As far as Vista on my own system was concerned it took a few months for me to get it working the way I wanted and was pretty much OK with it after that but it certainly wasn't the "install and forget" OS that many claimed.

13. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

I don't get this Vista backlash either, any launch issues (Most of which had to do with third party drivers) have long since been corrected, it works and runs great, just shows how uninformed most are. I have zero issues with Vista 64, had it since launch, wouldn't pay me to go back to XP.

14. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I run vista on both my laptop and my server, and it just WORKS! I have absolutely zero problems, but I do have UAC and Defender turned off, but thats it.

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I like Vista.
    I didn't like it when it first came out because driver support was all over the place. After SP1 though it was as good as XP for me, if not better.
    Win7 on my laptop is simply awesome. I've never seen this thing flying like that! No, not even with XP!

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I'm still running the 64bit beta (build:7000) and it's been pretty stable, I've got the RC but just not got round to installing it yet.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

nothing wrong with vista, it's mostly a seat and mouse interface problems.

18. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Vista works better than Linux for me. It also crashes a lot less than XP did for me.

The thing I don't get is Linux people bashing Vista for the UAC - when I tried Linux, it used to annoy the hell out of me having to sudo -su every damn time I wanted to do anything meaningful! In my experience with Vista, the only times UAC has popped up has been for actions that would have required sudo -su in Linux. In a related sense, I like the added feeling of security of knowing that if a virus tried to load and/or install itself, I'd get a prompt saying "virus.exe wants access to your computer" click cancel and bye bye virus...

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Happy I chose to skip Vista here. It's not that I'm a hater or anything. I know it had issues on release, but what OS doesn't? I just decided I'd skip an OS since XP does everything I want it to and my setup is customised and pretty the way I like it.

Win 7 is removing some features I'm very accustomed to and I'd say fond of, but it seems like it'll be the OS that starts to make XP out of date - so I'll switch to it. Plus it's always got that neato XP virtual mode which should allieviate some potential complaints, once win 7 is established and stable.

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Same here, I could have gone with Vista when I built but I kinda figured they were going to release another OS in a year or 2

Tags: Add Tags