1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft reveals Windows 8 editions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 17 Apr 2012.

1. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

I'm running the Windows 8 CP on my netbook and Metro is just a complete abomination (I am used to it and it is still completely crap with anything other than a touchscreen).

I hope Microsoft give the option to either remove or turn Metro off for the desktop in Windows 8, but that probably wont happen.

Windows Media Centre being a paid for add-on is probably a sign of useless Metro apps taking it's place.

2. Byron C

Byron C Over-reacting and over-analysing since 1982

Sounds like a useful idea - remains to be seen how useful it is in practice though... That's one thing that *nix certainly got right: treating every storage device as one big file tree.

Me. Lubuntu flies on my laptop, but Win7 still chugs a bit now and then.

Linux drivers are much better than they used to be. There are still some issues with WiFi cards, though they are getting better, and really random pieces of hardware. Of course it's not going to be as diverse as drivers available for Windows, but it's a hundred times better than it was.

3. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I was also wondering the same thing. I do not see the point to upgrade.

And the only reason for someone to upgrade from Vista SP2 (stand alone installation not upgraded vanilla or SP1, that matters) to W7 was the stigma of the 'Vista'. As releases their only difference was one came with DX11 installed. Other than that. Exactly the same. (Vista vanilla & SP1 are different animals....)

4. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

I would've been against dropping 32-bit but the extension of support for the two versions before covers that, so they could drop it for 8.

Not sure how similar the Xbox Live interface will be to the final Windows 8, if it's like that then only a repeat of the £40 offer would get me to buy the new Windows and I suspect sales matter more to MS than being a heavy hardcore user of the OS, if they're bundling Office into the "Ultimate" version and trying to imply that there will be a saving on Office 2013 and Win 8 separately.

5. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I really wish Valve would release Steam for Linux then I wouldnt care about Windows at all.

No plans of upgrading to Win8. Maybe not even Win9 if the push more into this tablet functionality bs. Mouse and keyboard Cheesecake.

6. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

this, like it or not, i believe Metro is staying since the only reason people don't like it is because of how it looks (well.. it is the UI) compared to Vista's awful slowness. Metro the only difference in 8?, hmm, for me 8 is way way faster, the reason that even though Metro isnt a big thing with me, I might still considering upgrading to it, aside from storage spaces, that nifty boot from USB, faster network speeds, and other new features "aside" from Metro IMO.

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'd turn this argument on its head and say the reason _NOT_ to upgrade to Windows 8 (on the desktop) is the Metro UX. And I'd also claim this to be a pretty strong argument.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yep.
    The improvements and additions made to Windows 8 are nice but they are not enough to balance the half-baked Desktop-Metro transitions and the annoying fullscreen SS.
    It is a bit sad, for PCs, Windows 8 with a choosable UI (Aero or Metro) would be a nice upgrade over Windows 7, the forced Metro UI kills it.

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

^Agreed. Makes no sense to upgrade to something which on a desktop platform is LESS functional than the previous version. New Windows are supposed to show progress, not set us back a few years.

Tags: Edit