1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft seeks to standardise the HD Photo

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. airchie

airchie New Member

If its good and there's no license fees etc then I'm all for it.

Is it going to start having some sort of DRM in it in future you think?

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I think jpeg should stay for a little longer, its BMP i dont like, could we be able to wave good bye to bmp do you think?

Sam

4. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Well I cant retake my photos from the last 10 years so Jpeg will be with me for a very long time. Im all for it for a standard but I just hope that in 10, 20 years that I can still view my jpeg and the operating system still supports it, then im fine to move over the HD photo if the next digital camera i buy uses it which wont be for a few years yet as i only bought my 6mp Fuji F10 last year.

5. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

MS could just kickstart it by sticking support into IE6/7 and selling cheap licences for the latest photo/web packages or if they really wanted to make a difference they'd make it free (Har Har)

6. Darkedge

Darkedge New Member

BMP has it's place, but programmers need to stop being bloody lazy and using it as a default format so it's only used when really needed, not just when people are muppets.

what is wrong as PNG as a replacement for JPG?

7. Skutbag

Skutbag New Member

If it's quality you want, then RAW is the only way surely? Memory cards are so gosh darned cheap now it's hardly like size is an issue...
    Sounds like a waste of time, would rather have JPEG v2 that was a more universal industry standard kind o thang.

8. Nature

Nature Member

A pox on your crabs (and, or) ducks.

9. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

Miss-spelled Microsoft near the end :p

New standard sounds good, and if it's more efficient then JPEG, then sure why not. I hate it when JPEG dulls out pictures I convert into it to put on the net >.<

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

so its going to have a .HD extension or somethin? lol

byt he general rule of thumb, if its better, then im all for it..

but one of the post above mentioned DRM on pictures media possibility and that kinda scares me lol

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 New Member

Think it'll be more like .hdp (HD Photo)

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I don't think it's needed just yet. PNG works fine for now, and if a replacement with smaller file sizes was brought out that would be perfect.

13. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

i agree on the file sizes i have alot of large jpeg files that i am running out of places to store on a laptop

14. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

PNG isn't really optimized to beat JPG. Will HD have an alpha-channel?

15. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It said 32-bit colour in the article so I'm assuming that means 24-bit colour and 8-bits for the alpha channel.

16. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

True on the quality, shame it isn't a standard. Different Canons have different format RAW files. :wallbash:

17. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I don't know about you, but I really don't want to wait for my browser to load a page full of 20-30 MB images. Raw is simply too big. And as smashie pointed out, there isn't just one Raw format out there. All the various camera manufacturers have their own proprietary formats. Raw formats are great for, well, raw photos that will be worked and processed and fiddled with.

What people are looking for here isn't necessarily the best quality image, but a better quality final output with equal or better compression than the current JPEG.

-monkey

18. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

It's about time jpeg was replaced. It's a pretty terrible format and its only remaining advantage is that it can compress photos pretty well. PNG is great for pretty much everything other than photos. Its lossless compressions is just too inefficient for photos.

With Microsoft backing this new format it has a better chance of becoming standard. Lets face it, open formats just don't work. Why do people use gifs when PNGs are much better and free? Why do people still spend loads for the right to encode mp3s when OGG is better and free? Microsoft will hopefully push the format out enough to get enough manufacturers to take it up.

19. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins New Member

Wasn't there something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000 ... now I'm no expert whatsoever on image formats, but I don't quite see why we need yet another image standard. (Coming from M$ at that.)

20. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

HD Photo is better than JPEG-2000. It's also designed to work well with portable devices. It also offers lossless compression so it's a good potential replacement for PNG or even RAW. How could you not see the need for a new image format when this offers all of those things?

Tags: Add Tags