1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft simplifies EULA language, ditches grace period

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Aug 2012.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Its probably not such great news really. Normal EULA's are basically unenforceable in a UK court because they are considered an unfair contract (at least in Scotland), the company has an army of lawyers setting the terms you just have your self and cant be expected to read it all, thus praying to your deity that you've not just signed over your house.

If the new terms have in plain english anything you don't agree with you can either return the software (good luck) grin and click agree, depending how simple the terms are they EULA may actually become enforceable.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's how evil works. Here's a rather nice analogy that applies in this situation: if I take a whizz in a cask of wine, it's now a cask of whizz. Doesn't matter what the relative volumes of whizz to wine are, does it? The presence of the whizz ruins the wine.

Likewise, the fact that you're stealing software means that you're in the wrong. I don't like Windows, so I don't use it. Going back to your "people would return a defective item" justification: yes, they would, and would therefore stop using said item. You've repeatedly said that it's OK for you to steal Windows because you rarely use it and you don't like it. Here's another way of looking at it: surely it's OK for you to stop using Windows altogether because you rarely use it and don't like it? If you use it so infrequently that you can justify not paying for it, that wouldn't inconvenience you, surely?

I'm sorry, I thought your point was "it's okay to steal Windows because I don't really like it and there are other options which are better." Did I misinterpret?

Ahahahahahaaa! Wow, I've gotta say, that's is the *best* strawman I've ever seen. "The fact you don't agree with me stealing other people's hard work means you're as bad as a homophobe! HOMOPHOBE!"

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Again, that falls under the "you get what you pay for category" which is a false philosophy in the software world. Put aside 3rd party developers (such as driver developers) and windows doesn't offer a whole lot more than other OSes. Their developers didn't work any longer or harder than the devs of other OSes.

*sigh* again, stealing something physical is very different from copying something virtual. That's like comparing shooting someone in the arm versus calling someone something very insulting.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sorry to bring this topic back to its side line, but remember World of Goo, This excellent game, super well reviewed game, that was 10$, and even less in some medium, was pirated like no tomorrow. The studio decided to have the game be sold from "pay as much as you want, starting for a penny". The game got even more pirated.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I can feel Godwin's Law looming just on the other side of the horizon...

6. schmidtbag

Ever heard of distillaton?

We're running in circles again - Windows actually serves a purpose for me, just a very indirect one. As soon as I can ditch Windows entirely, I will and I don't bother pirating it again. I would gladly stop using it altogether when I get the chance.

No - this proves my point how you hear things the way you want. From the very beginning I said that I will pirate Windows because there are better options. I never suggested this applies to everyone or should apply to everyone. My opinions are not everyone's.

If it were really hard work, I wouldn't feel the need to pirate it. MS devs are for the most part just drones listening to some management person who thinks his ideas are better. I'm sure many MS devs are skilled and hard workers, but if they really had their way, Windows would be a much better OS.

Keep in mind I don't have this same gripe with Macs. I personally find the OS useless to me, but I think its a nice OS and I don't find it deserving of piracy.

7. GoodBytes

Lies. Because the people that make Windows and other software, are the people that work on Linux as well. They need food on the table.

One is physical damage and the other is psychological damage. Both hurt just as much, in fact psychological damage hurts even more, leading to sever depression, and in some cases have people commit suicide. If a person comes to you and insults you, and go "Ok wtv", and you move a long, now some one else does the same... and more, and more... and now everyone around you non stop insults you. No mater how "manly" you are, you will crack and possibly cry (normal), and if it continues, you'll fall into sever depression where medication intervention can't help.

Now you were saying that stealing software is like insulting someone, well the consequences are far worse. No money coming in, that means no one will study in such field, meaning no open source software, meaning no more electronic devices of any kind, not even medical, as they are no software developers. So in the end of the day it's thief.

Based on your reactions I can see that you did this kind of stuff for a very long time, and now accustom as being the norm, this is wrong.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You distil whizz? Wow - never buy me a shot of whisky.

SO PAY FOR IT.

I never said they were - I simply said that you justify your theft in that manner. Which you do. So, it turns out that I didn't misinterpret. Thanks for the clarification.

Christ. I literally cannot comprehend how your mind works. I mean, literally. These are people, with families, and houses, and mortgages, and the same hopes and fears and dreams as you. These aren't just faceless drones - these are REAL PEOPLE. That comment smacks of sociopathy, which I won't accuse you of because it's a horrible condition but still, dude. Damn.

I would ask one tiny favour before I stop this off-topic trainwreck: answer the following questions with just "yes" or "no," without saying "rarely," "sometimes," or "but":
    Do you use Windows?
    Have you paid for Windows?

9. schmidtbag

10. schmidtbag

Well since you asked so nicely...

So if they care, they'll do a good job and stand up for themselves. When that happens, I'll pay. They're clearly doing what someone else says just for a really high paycheck.

If you had the money to get that Veyron, would that be considered worth every penny of your money if you never drive it except maybe once a month, but instead you drive your Astra?
    And yes, I have paid for windows before, more than once.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Dear lord...where is the report thread button? I swear piracy should be a banned topic like religion is.

You aint ever going to agree so stop derailing the thread, please.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Agreed. Putting on my bit-tech hat for a moment:

No more off-topic posts for or against piracy. From anyone. That includes you, Gareth Halfacree, you unrepentant swine you. Further off-topic posts will be deleted.

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

EULA could be one sentence long, I'll still skip it.

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Off topic, but you'd better ban yourself for 24 hours Gareth. You've used a big font see? :lol:

Agreed though, and apologies that my post advocating the acquisition of Windows via legal means blew up into such a hackneyed debate.

15. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Schmidtbag: you are either a; a silly boy (boasting about pirating software on a public forum, Srsly?) or b; a very silly boy, which seems much more likely. Please accept my well meant advice to stop being daft, there's a good lad, say no more, shake hands, what you say old chap?

Personally, I'm not too fussed about the loss of activation period because I always do it right away, a new operating system isn't really that much of a big deal to me as long as my games work, I run on 7 but would quite happily have stayed on XP, except that 80quid really isn't much to pay for something that is in constant use and will last for a couple of years. EULAs do need to be simplified, what's the point of laying out t&c's if no one actually reads them.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Aug 2012
  16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

they just need to change the law, to piracy equals theft, so theft charges should be brought against pirates.

on topic, even easy to read eulas will be ignored as people want to use the software, they will just click accept. and deal with or not as the case may be, the consiquences when they arrive.

17. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Thanks Nexxo, was just about to reword that but you beat me to it XD

You guys seen Human CentiPad btw?

Last edited: 21 Aug 2012
  18. GoodBytes

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/windows-8s-new-licenses-simpler-saner-better/

19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The issue is with the fact that there is now no version for a situation, when you build your own PC and change a motherboard few times before new Windows comes out. Or is this situation covered in the new System Builder licence (that if it is still your own PC, but with motherboard changes, then it is ok to reuse the licence) ?

20. GoodBytes

We have to wait and see more details, but it does say that for System Builders license, that it you can install it on a virtual machine... so I assume it won't be tied to the motherboard. We have to wait and see for more details to know for sure.