1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Microsoft Surface thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrorbyt, 19 Sep 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not necessarily. These customers could have specifically been drawn to Best Buy just to buy the thing because it has been so hard to actually try it IRL.

I'm not sure Microsoft would feel the need to stoop that low. It seems not to have been too bothered about selling masses of the device, just to test a new way (the Apple way) of doing things. Apps will come regardless because Windows RT shares the same kernel for that with Windows 8. And Windows 8 is going to succeed by sheer dominance of the PC platform.

Bitcasa has just released a cloud app for Android and Windows 8/RT, with an iOS version to follow in January. Think about it for a second: they released the Windows app before the iOS app. I wonder if this is going to be the start of a pattern.

2. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

What is bitcasa when its at home

3. Nexxo

4. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

More cloud storage stuff. Seems a touch unrealistic though for a new start up to offer some of its goals for such a low price.

5. Nexxo

Well, I'm typing this on a Surface, at my local John Lewis store right now. All I can say is that it looks like a quality device, certainly not heavy, not weird in portrait mode (you can see a whole webpage and still have room for the keyboard at the bottom), and the touch cover works uncannily well. You can rest your palms on it and still type. You can rub the keys with the flat of your hands and it won't register. You can pummel it with your fists --no problem. It only registers taps with your fingers and these don't have to be hard. I can honestly say it types nearly as fast as on my desktop keyboard. Oh, and it registers whether your keyboard is deployed or folded behind the device, in which case it automatically brings up the screen keyboard. This automatically disappears when you redeploy the touch cover. The material seems neoprene on the keyboard side, and felt on the outer cover side. The hinge is rubbery and nicely flexible and folds around the back without forcing it. Of course closing the cover turns off the device and opening it activates it. No magnetic shut --Microsoft missed a trick there.

The screen is a bit lo-res in portrait mode but no worse than the iPad 1 and 2 were. The magnetic charger plug fits firmly but is a slight fumble to snap home. It has a nice white LED in the top to indicate contact. The front camera also has a white LED. Quality of the cameras isn't great; more for functional recording than aesthetic pictures.

The whole thing seems quite responsive. I'm experiencing no significant lag anywhere. Not as snappy as the iPad? The iPad can't multitask. The Surface can, and does --very nicely.

EDIT: Desktop works well but its usual icons and buttons are bit finicky using one's fingers. Pinch zoom would have been really useful here (pinch zoom works fine in the browser). Still, nothing I can't handle and track pad works fine, including multi-touch gestures.

Text input does handwriting recognition. It is uncannily good. OneNote allows you to scribble on the notepad.

Just tried logging in on my Hotmail account and setting up for the first time worked quickly and easily: I saw my home PC Start screen and even my home PC desktop wallpaper which is not part of the default set (spooky). Skydrive was readily accessible. Deleting my account and all its files and settings was even quicker.

I'm REALLY liking the touch cover. The more I work with it, the easier it gets. It's near-telepathic.

EDIT EDIT: As for the price: for the same £550,-- you can buy a Samsung Ativ RT. Basically the same spec but in a flimsy-feeling plastic case and without touch cover or kickstand (which really sounds and feels as satisfying as they say). No wonder the other manufacturers are upset with MS.

Last edited: 23 Dec 2012
  6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

7. Nexxo

I must say that I have experienced none of these reported bugs on my device.

8. GoodBytes

DisplayLink has released a dock station of sorts for the Surface Pro:
    [​IMG]
    No price information yet.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

they could be used for multipoint servers 2 :)

10. GoodBytes

The Windows Club did a nice compilation of Ask Me Anything by the Surface Team chat.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/surface-pro-faq

Here is a shorten version:
    I am surprised that no one showed any picture of the UEFI/BIOS screen of the Surface Pro. Although I don't expect anything like OEM computers, I am curious to see how it looks.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2013
  11. Nexxo

On the latter question I can confirm that the speakers of the Surface RT are louder since the last firmware update. There are also noticeable speed improvements in the OS.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I wonder did they put a filter on them or did they increase the allowable power going through.

13. Nexxo

Probably did a sound enhancement. There are all sorts of clever ways of manipulating perceived volume.

14. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Im seriously debating a Pro or similar X86 convertible device or a laptop but I honestly cant choose what though. Is the surface pro still currently the best bet? (when its released)

15. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

When has become IF, if you live outside of the USA. As like the zune before it Microsoft does not seem to want to commit to any european release date. On there website its been comming soon since December last year.

Surface pro is not available anywhere else so is impossible to recommend if you live outside of the USA.

You need to ask yourself what you would use the touch features for and if you can buy a better spec laptop for the same cash which id imagine you can.

If it does release im expecting a £799 price point without keyboard. You can get some pretty decent ultrabooks for around that price point with better specs and battery life to boot.

16. GoodBytes

Actually its already available in Canada.
    Microsoft mentioned the when it will be released for Europe.

Clearly Microsoft doesn't have proper distribution channels. 'cause if I am not mistaken it was similar with the XBox consoles at first. Perhaps that is why Microsoft was interested in Dell, and lend them money (possibly in exchange for knowledge and experience related to the mater, l among other things).

In my opinion it will be out in end March or at worst early April.

17. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

I'd be tempted to buy a Surface RT, if it would be based on the Atom Z2760 rather then the Tegra3. Having the possibillity to run x86-software on the Surface RT would be a huge sellingpoint imho, and I think Microsoft took the wrong turn by opting for ARM.

Additionally, as the Surface Pro is packing an i5 it would make it far easier for Microsoft to have all their devices x86-based.

18. GoodBytes

It looks like you have not used an Atom CPU before. It's sllllllloooooowwww. You'll have a better experience with ARM.

19. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

I've tried the Atom SoC in a store, where they had an Acer W510 lying around, and it performed very well.

Anand tested the same device with a whole lot of benchmarks, and it actually outperforms a Tegra3.

20. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Man I want the Pro to be released!