1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Microsoft Surface thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrorbyt, 19 Sep 2012.

1. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Canada/ USA is kinda same deal the Zune got.

If its early April and haswell rumours are true you could vist America and buy the surface pro2 with haswell before we see it in eu.

Xbox EU launch was 2 weeks after USA / Canada and before Japan/ Asia.

Microsoft if it wants to sell in numbers needs worldwide launch in the 10 major markets for computer products. Not just USA / Canada.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That will not become clear until the Tegra 4 and later go up against later iterations of the Atom. Keep in mind that the Atom exploits technology that the ARM still has to get into. When it does, it may leap ahead again.

Until you run legacy x68 programs, at which point it starts to slow down. Try something worth running like Photoshop, and it really struggles and battery starts draining at an alarming rate. It is not the magic CPU you're looking for.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Canada had the Zune? I had to get it from the U.S.
    Canada only had the Zune 80, 120 and mini, for a few months, then pulled out as the Zune HD was announced... and that didn't saw the light of day, except in it's final month, where you could order it online only at Microsoft specific website that has no links anywhere on Microsoft site. And there where huge rumor that Microsoft was working the Zune HD 2. Which made people just wait... Zune HD 2 never came to be, and many month later, we have Windows Phone 7.

I don't think the Surface Pro 2 will be out until the end of the year. And possible even early next year.

Yup, but it's not easy as a phone call, sadly. Let's say you get several manufactures to produce the product, separated world wide, to be able to setup a network (let alone prepare, negotiate, and sign contracts with the manufactures, get representatives there, get monitors to make sure the work is done properly, to get trucks/boats/train to deliver the product to store shelf, and be in the talks with retailers in pushing them to buy your product, and sign deals and contract with them. Then, lets not forget, that, this is all assuming that the product that is being manufactured is all perfectly produced, everywhere. I do know that is something that even Dell struggles at times. If you look at monitor revision ('cause that's being given), every region has a different revision number for the "latest" one.
    I could have revision A09, and you have revision A25, both are identical in every where down to firmware, but the manufacture at your area probably had manufacturing trouble and had the change the mold as the machine they have, doesn't do the same expected shop than from another factory, despite having the same manufacture process. Who know, maybe factor A got the ProductManufactureX5000, and the factor B got only the X4000 models as they could not afford the 5000 model, I don't know, just a guess.

Also, you have manufactures skimming out on you, to increase profits behind your back. Dell experience this once with a laptop, where the paint was coming off the laptop,. It was shipping out. It affected only a few areas, 'cause it was from 1 manufacture that decided ti cut corner and use ultra cheap paint (possibly also heavy in lead or other crap), to increase profit.. so you need to make sure that this doesn't occur. Same for the internals, and also make sure that labor is well treated, 'cause that doesn't end for you well if it's found that, this is not the case.

When you have contact, experience, and not willing to throw a huge amount of money as you don't care about efficiency or being organized and just go "Make it happen, I don't care what, damit!", then you have what Microsoft has now.

4. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

They can do it with the Xbox so it's not like they don't have such deals in place though.

5. GoodBytes

For the Xbox, Microsoft just threw a huge amount of money at it, also Microsoft was rushing the release of the console, so it ended up being not well tested, and had huge manufacturing issues (red ring of death rings a bell).

If the Surface had this issue, then Microsoft is screwed. So I guess they want to take their time, and do things right. I am sure that it will be faster with the Surface second gen series, and even faster or no delay, with the 3rd gen.

6. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi All,

I haven't been around for a while but have dropped back through and spotted this thread. I picked up a surface pro in New York a couple of weeks back and I must say I like it. This is the one with the full-fat (low voltage) i5 processor, as I guess everyone knows.

Like most people here, I like to tinker, and most tablets just wont' allow that. The Pro lets me plug in any sort of windows peripheral - mouse, gaming headset and the likes, as well as any of my normal bits & pieces - benchmarks, steam games (HD4000 permitting), etc. I have a 64 GB micro SD in there that performs pretty reasonably.

Takes a little while to get used to the windows gesture/UI system and the difference between desktop and metro, but I'm a happy camper!

Last edited: 28 Feb 2013
  7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Damn I want the Lenovo ThinkPad Helix now!

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

A new advert for the surface..

You would have to be mad to leave a surface on the counter for a display, it would be stolen in no time at all :hehe:

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Wow is that microsoft surface on the counter?

YYYYYYOINK!

Runs away

10. GoodBytes

It's like a Zune... no one will steal it. That's the power of Microsoft security systems :p

But in reality, if I am not mistaken, it has a lock hole system. And like any computer, TV, or speakers, etc. marketing shot.... no wires... ever. Then you go home with the new product, after buying it, and you have a crap load of wires everywhere rendering everything ugly.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Microsoft new Surface shipments to reach 3 million units in 2014, sources estimate.
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130923PD201.html
    Is Microsoft betting big on a saturated market ?

12. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Do you know, I was actually thinking of buying one. I thought the portability of it, coupled with a half-decent keyboard as opposed to an onscreen nightmare that you get with other tablets, and microsoft connectivity might actually make it useful for work.

Now I see the advert, it looks tiny. Screw that idea.

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am really tempted to get the pro 2 but will have to see what the reviews are like.

14. GoodBytes

go at the store and check out the Pro 1. I was like you, but it works.
    The default DPI is 150%. It seams that most people put it 125% to balance screen space and visibility. I had no problem reading settings it the DPI setting at 100% (normal), and reading the small text, although at this level you definitely want to use the pen (or mouse) to do some more serious navigation in the desktop mode. I was able to use the ribbon bar, navigate folders, and move a window around, with my fingers, but closing button was a bit too small, had to switch to my pinky or obviously the pen.

As I see having the pen in my hand in any case, I liked that setting. Tiny indeed, but works. The device is small, but I would not call it tiny. It was like a big netboot. For me, personally, the keyboard seamed fine when I tried it.

I think it's the best thing you can do. Spent a moment with it at your electronic store near by, if they have it. Check it out. While it is the version 1, the device is exactly the same as the 2. Version 2 has just longer battery life, a bit faster integrated graphic GPU (HD4000 to HD4400), and most likely at best 10-15% CPU performance boost. (Ivy Bridge to Haswell).

15. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

At £639 for the Surface Pro plus £110 for a keyboard, the Pro seems like an utter rip off. The only way I'd get one is if work bought it for me.

I'm going to look for a laptop, I think.

16. GoodBytes

Yea it is on the expensive side, but it you think about it. 12inch convertible tablet, a few years ago.. the ones that you didn't have to fight with pen, was 3000$ (well in Canada) and utter crap battery life, and performance, and was much heavier.
    Definitely the display and digitize pen is what makes it pricey. I mean there is no denying Microsoft makes a nice profit it, but that's a bit expected.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

the wife bought a surface RT 64gb with keyboard over the weekend for under £300 and she`s very happy with it - updated to windows 8.1 and its does far more for her than her old galaxy tab 2 did.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I am currently using a Fujitsu Siemens Stylistic ST5112 with windows 8.1, I get between 4 and 6hrs on my 7200mAh battery (8-12Hrs as I have two)

It uses a stylus though not touch.

And you are right it is heavier, lol

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The Truth About Microsoft's Sold-Out Surfaces.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/18/microsoft-surface_n_4461984.html