1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Microsoft to Acquire Skype for Over $8 billion

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kovoet, 10 May 2011.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

With nokia starting to use windows based software soon and microsoft buying out skype this is going to be an interesting couple of years

2. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Part of the reason Skype (ebay) is selling because it is strugling to make money from its premium services..given most of its users use the free talk option for calls.

I can see Microsoft wanting to change that to some sort of package deal - free calls for x per month like mobile phone contract.

3. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Makes sense; seamless video-calling integrated into the OS?

Windows Live video blogging anyone?

TSB

4. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This isn't good news. MSN is useful but flaky as all hell (and always has been); and for some reason I just have this worry that instead of using Skype's technology to improve MSN, Microsoft are more likely to use MSN's technology to 'improve' Skype.

Plus, what's Skype for Linux going to be like after this?

Skype was losing money before this, so perhaps Microsoft can turn it around but I can't help but think it's going to be at the user's expense.

5. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

odd choice but they're rich and skype is a big brand

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Meh, Skype was going down hill since Skype 3.
    Skype 5 is awful. It check your computer specs and goes "Oh you don't have a 2.0GHz processor.. it's only 1.8GHz, so, I am not even going to even try HD video webcam, while I know it used to worked perfectly fine when you had Skype 4.. oh well... too bad for you!"
    Not to mention the requirement of better internet access on both side to allow video chat to work... this is a problem when you communicate far far a broad, to countries that don't have 120Mbps internet access. So I am stuck to Skype 4, like many.

Hopefully Microsoft will change this.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Same here. My friends and I upgraded to 5 when it came out, then rolled back to 4 the same day.
    Skype 5 is an abomination.
    4 on the other hand is pretty reliable for the most part and much, much better than MSN for both cam and voice chat (both of which MSN is generally terrible at); so my fear is that Microsoft will screw that up further somehow.

8. Torin

Torin What's a Dremel?

Big worries enjoy the quality and stability of skype over MSN
    Wonder what they will do to make money from it.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Nha.. if anything they integrate Skype to MSN, to have 1 program.
    Skype stand alone will stay stand alone... but will have more ads to make it profitable (investors demands, Microsoft has no choice)

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

it's official, BTW.

I am surprisingly unwaived by the news...

11. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Skype does seem to do a very good job on call quality, so I can understand why they might be interested. At the same time, despite being someone who makes their calls to landlines from a computer (and has no landline and a PAYG mobile), I've never found the Skype prices to be a good deal. At the price MS are paying, I can't see these prices dropping any time soon either.

I just hope nothing gets messed up in the computer-to-computer department! :O

12. Ronaldo 9

Ronaldo 9 Minimodder

I wouldn't worry about anything getting messed up. Microsoft have obviously thought about this acquisition for a long time and feel that it is a good addition to the Microsoft family. They have big plans for this and one can assume they are directly linked to windows phone 7 and the future Windows 8 with proper tablet support.

13. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Gah...

I actually ditched MSN a few years ago as it was quite frankly, a bit ****.

Just been sat with skype for ages now, with most of the people I want to IM on it and calls too which negates the use of TS/Vent/Mumble for me for the most part.

Very interested/intriged/worried about what they intend to do with Skype. When they take over, do they get the whole userlist too? Surely they have to ask each individual (by way of update) for that kind of privvy?

Shame really, Skype seemed to be a reasonably good independant company. This kind of independant mainstream goodness is getting swallowed up by the big boys and making it all wishy washy.

Hope something good actually comes out of it for use Skype users rather than MS trying to integrate it with MSN.