1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft to flummox Sony with HD DVD release date?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 5 Sep 2006.

1. Garside

Garside New Member

2. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

I'll probably mostly ignore BD/HD DVD untill DVD vanishes or unless the prices drop rather rapidly.
    Im guessing most people will also ignore it because alot of people (atleast in the UK) don't have HD TV sets yet and to get the benefit of HD/BD-ROM you kinda need one and to most, why bother when DVD/regular TV sets work just fine?

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I don't understand why Microsoft are "flummox"ing Sony.

Surely its Toshiba thats flummoxing not Microsoft, Microsoft haven't unveiled a release date...

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

What does this have to do with MS? The article is about a Toshiba drive being released days before the PoS3, or am I missing somthing here?

Either way, too little too late.

5. Garside

Garside New Member

Well the implication is Toshiba release their new player two days before Sony's PS3. Toshiba don't want to go head to head with Sony, my assumption is therefore, that Microsoft is possibly pulling the strings...

6. [Rx]

[Rx] New Member

Microsoft unveiled a HD-DVD drive to go with the Xbox 360 at E3, therefore it is going head to head with Sonys Blu Ray Technology

Also the UK is getting more HD Ready TV Sets you can now get a Samsung HD Ready 32inch CRT for 500 squids

7. DougEdey

Toshiba already have Blu ray players out don't they?

Maybe they are going against Sony themselves as they are pissed off with Sony stealing the lasers.

8. Garside

Garside New Member

9. riggs

riggs ^_^

Thing is, and I'm sure many bit forum readers have the same opinion, the PS3 is a games console first, movie player second. If the PS2 DVD playback quality is anything to go by, the PS3 will be an awful video player - I mean, it's $400 less than a standalone BR player, you'd think they must've used cheaper components?

If anything, consumers should be comparing a standalone HD-DVD player @ £400, to a standalone BR player at £1000.
    For anyone serious about image quality, the PS3 shouldn't even be considered yet, since we know nothing about its video playback capabilities.

I, for one, will be buying neither HD-DVD or BR. I don't own a HD TV (not worth it), don't care about having the latest and greatest equipment, nor do I believe that the 2 formats can co-exist. I'd much rather wait and see which format wins the war than be an early adopter and risk 'wasting' a bucketload of cash.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it is to little to late, two days before BRD is to late to make any dent in the BRD sales.

11. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

just wondering, will Bit-tech review any of the Blu-ray and Hd-DVD hardware? like the first set's of boxes from both sides and including reviews of the movies compared to the dvd versions?

12. DougEdey

Rechecked it, I read an article from Dailytech which said about the Toshiba player but it turned out that they meant it to be a Pioneer one. Whoopsie.

Anyway, Toshiba were rumoured to have planned a Hybrid remember? And they had to quash that.

13. DarkSurge

DarkSurge New Member

what about the fact Toshiba are selling the player at a loss? there have been plenty of reports on the web about it and since when does Microsoft tell Toshiba what to do.

14. Djpuk

Djpuk New Member

With Microsoft backing HD-DVD so heavily you know it will gain some traction but even with this player at £400 it is not enough to shift me from the idea of buying a PS3 with Blueray that can do a dual role for the same price.

I agree with riggs that if PS2 is anything to go by then don't hold your breath for the PS3 being a great Blue Ray movie player but the economics of it surely make it a no brainer to go for a PS3 and Blueray over separate devices or adding a drive to your Xbox?

I mean how much space do you have under your TV to fill anyway?

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Yes, but that's not what the article, or at least the title, says. Supposition is fine, but in the end this is a news item about a Toshiba product and MS shouldn't be mentioned in the subject because they MIGHT have had somthing to do with it. :nono:

16. Temet Nosce

Temet Nosce New Member

That is a good point, but a rather weak one aswell.. lets not forget that a Playstation 3 will surely be very hard to come across, especially before christmas, with only 2million units being available worldwide at launch. I can see them being in very high demand, and if you must have a next gen movie player before/for christmas and cant get your mucky mitts on a PS3 then the HD DVD player sounds like a pretty good buy.

17. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I'm guessing soon will be a good time to buy a cheap dvd player.

18. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

And a £20 player from Asda isn't cheap enough already? :confused: :p

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

While I won't touch either player for... umm... quite a long time, I'd pay EXTRA for the hd-dvd simply so none of my money goes to Sony.

That aside, the image quality of the two should be the same, seeing that they both have 1080p video on the disc. Of course, none of the current HD-DVD players output above 1080i, but the progressive scan source material is there for when the players arrive. And by then, they'll be relatively cheap I'll bet.

20. Sinner666

Sinner666 New Member

Useless to anyone with a SD TV.

I'll wait till I can get a HD/BR player for $99 and HD/BR movies for $15-$20. Thats considering I've moved to an HD set by then.

Tags: Add Tags