1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft to slash its PC Store software take to just 12 per cent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 30 Apr 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Of course it does.

Epic can take a small cut because they've flat out admitted they're running a loss leader store which isn't going to be profitable for years. Microsoft can follow suit because they're a multi-billion dollar corporation with interests far outside just digital distribution of games. Valve? Not so much. I'm certainly no fan of a 30% cut, but it's not that far out of line with traditional publishers of books etc - who can take significantly more than 30% - and permits Steam to provide all the services they do. Would I prefer Valve to take a smaller cut? Yes. Am I a Steam fanboy? God, no. I prefer to buy things on GOG if I can, simply because I can download the installer and don't have to worry about DRM, but at least with Steam I can actually see some sort of reason for where the cut is going. My experiences of the Microsoft store (or, rather, getting Forza Horizon 4 and Forza 7 installed - I had to "install" Forza Horizon 4 four times before it finally decided to accept it was installed) have been far more troubled than any interaction I've had with Steam. I have no experience with the Epic Game Store because despite wanting the Kingdom Hearts games on PC, I refuse to support Epic's predatory business practices.

Tags: Add Tags