1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft unveils Windows 8 keyboards, mice

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 30 Jul 2012.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think you need some sleep, as what you just said made no sense what's so ever, and don't connect in any way.

2. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Actually, it did. There was an article here just last week about MS bringing back the Light Pen. And that wedge mouse looks terrible, but I'm not a claw-grip sort. Also, I hate touchpads. And small mice.

Then again, I have no plans to install Win8, so I'll have no need for a touchpad.

3. Mrmelon98

Mrmelon98 When's a Dremel?

Microsoft are appealing to technophobic people (who don't see the beauty of hardware) by making the peripherals look like something out of the Tate modern. This leaves out functionality of the mouse. They might as well have got a sculpture and stuck a laser on the bottom.

4. GoodBytes

Did you use the mouse? Did anyone used it? No! So how can you talk about comfort.
    I used laptop mouse. The best I found is the Logitech VX nano. It's nothing like my desktop mouse due to it's small size. Do I care? No! Why? Because I don't do long work, or play games with my laptop. If I did, I would get a desktop mouse. This is for casual usage. Like using Office here and there.

5. GoodBytes

So how do you use a laptop on the go?
    I guess you prefer the red mouse point from Lenovo keyboard.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

No, no one has used this mouse. But people have hands which interact a huge amount of objects on a daily basis. We have used various other mice as well. We should have a reasonable intuition on an objects comfort by looking at it. I can't imagine how to even grip that device. The wedge shape would mean a really awkward pincer grip between the thumb and ring finger

A mouse that shape is just never going to be comfortable to use for any period of time and its small size won't add to its comfort. However if they just made it into a stationary touch pad like you get on a laptop it would be small, comfortable to use and effective enough to complete most tasks that you need a mouse for.

7. GoodBytes

Actually, a touchpad is terrible. Even Apple's touchpad's. It doesn't come close to the precision that you get from a desktop mouse. This Microsoft mouse seams to bring a both.. touchpad and mouse together. While not excellent, for sure, for a tablet purpose, it's fine.

For me, I see perfectly how to hold it. in fact, with all the laptop mouse I used, you are forced in a claw grip. So in any case, you don't touch the area that is supposed to be for your palm, but isn't. Microsoft just cut that part out.. that no one uses... to make the mouse more compact.

You hold the mouse in a claw grip position, where you thumb and ring finger hold the mouse on the side, where, at the about, the battery compartment is , and you have your index, and long finger on mouse button area/touchpad. Get a laptop mouse, and see how your hands are put, and you'll see that Microsoft design makes sense.

It's strange that no one complained about Logitech cube mouse. I guess its a curse that Microsoft has.

8. theshadow2001

The logitech is also rubbish. It only allows one finger operation. The pincer grip looks awkward, again it's too small to use comfortably.

A touch pad doesn't live up to the accuracy of a mouse. But I can easily operate a computer at a similar speed with a touch pad as I do with a mouse. But as you say with this mouse

a touchpad would more than suffice for what little mousing activities are left.

9. GoodBytes

You have no precision with a touchpad. It is not sufficient in any way. It's there because it is better than nothing. But for actually using the computer it's not. A mouse provide the accuracy needed, and is more comfortable. From what you are saying, it seams to me that you are guessing and assuming on everything, including your experience with a touchpad. And if that is not the case, then you better tell me what touchpad technology you have on your laptop, as I think that company made the best touchpad in the world (or a manufacture error that lead to the best touchpad in the world), that provide a great experience as would a mouse.. any mouse, and people should definitely buy this laptop. I would have never guessed you could game with a touchpad.

10. theshadow2001

I use a synaptic touch pad version 7.2. I use circular scrolling, the tap to left click and tap and hold to drag functions. It works fine. In fact I have used it to add a couple of lines in paint to a picture I have found!

[​IMG]
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=2029&pictureid=28555

When the ring finger and thumb are brought together they meet at quite an acute angle to the index finger highlighted along the black line. The wedge mouse would require the thumb and ring finger to pinch along the red line this leads to an awkward and unergonomic grip since it's more natural for the ring finger to be more forward of the thumb while the middle and index finger are pointing forward

No you can't game with a touchpad. In fact its one of the few things you can't do with any reasonable effectiveness on a touchpad. That said if you're going to game you're not really going to use anything other than a proper mouse.

I'm not saying a touchpad is better than a mouse. I'm saying its better than a mouse that forces unergonomic grips.

You have to admit that ergonomics have been cast a side to make way for aesthetics in the wedge mouse.

11. GoodBytes

Obviously the index finger plays a part. And that picture is just stupid. You don't hold a mouse like that, else it would be in angle.

What I am saying is that the ergonomic of the laptop mouses is 100% useless. as you don't place your palm (unless you have kids hands). Microsoft made a smaller circuit, and wanted a smaller mouse. So they made this mouse. Simple. They remove what you don't use. It might not LOOK ergonomic. But it's not like you are using any of the other part of the mouse.

12. theshadow2001

The picture isn't showing how you hold a mouse it's showing that when you grip or pinch with your ring finger and thumb it follows a natural path that is at an acute angle to the index finger. Having your thumb and ring finger grip something which is perpendicular with the index finger i.e. along the red line forces the hand into an awkward position. This is how you would likely grip the wedge mouse. With the thumb on one side of the cylindrical element and your ring finger on the other side.

You can't just throw ergonomics out the window because you don't use the palm! Your fingers follow a natural path to grip an object. When they are forced away from this natural path it can become uncomfortable.

13. GoodBytes

yes but larger you open your hand, the less the angle is. The mouse is large than a AA battery, which at that level, is a bit larger than a laptop mouse, so the angle is fairly flat, like your hand position on a large laptop mouse, or desktop claw grip mouse.

14. GoodBytes

15. theshadow2001

Yeah maybe you're right...

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    We may have different definitions of what "not bad" means:
    And no back-forward buttons.
    All that for just $70... :rolleyes:

17. GoodBytes

Logitech laptop mouse are 90$. Bigger (still claw grip), has back and forth buttons thaugh, no Bluetooth, uses 2.5Ghz wireless adapter.

[edit]Ignore that, Logitech drop the price of their mouse to 60$[/edit]

Tags: Add Tags