1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft: We invented avatars

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Nov 2008.

1. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

I can only hope he was referring to Nintendo

Last edited: 10 Nov 2008
  2. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Wasn't the avatar created in the ultima series in Ultima 4 "The quest of the avatar" in 1985?

Great game BTW :D

3. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Doesn't matter whether you thought of it first --what matters is how well you executed the idea. Just ask Xerox PARC. ;)

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Too true.

Avatars are actually of religious significance: an avatar is the earthly manifestation of a god. The Greek and Hindu gods are both renowned for using avatars - so, MS, you're a few thousand years too late to claim you invented the avatar :p

And devdevil85, I think he's probably poking Sony with that comment ;)

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

You see, that's funny b/c:

Halo 3 = 16 maximum players online (w/ chargeable service)
    Resistance 2 = 60 maximum players online (w/o chargeable service)

Also, COD4 360 = 18 maximum online (w/ chargeable service)
    COD4 PS3 = 24 maximum online (w/o chargeable service)

MAG = 256 maximum players online (possible chargeable service)

I don't understand how Sony is "just getting to where [MS] was in 2002". Both offer a Video service, weekly updates, DLC, etc.

Really, the only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that you can't do on PSN that you can with XBL is talk to friends outside of the game that you are playing. Other than that everything's the same (please correct me if I'm wrong). Also, in terms of people saying PSN is slower, I call BS. I say this b/c I've played COD4, GTAIV & Warhawk online and only a couple of times (depending on people's internet connections who were hosting the game(s)) were they laggy so maybe 2% of my experience with PSN has been bad and I've had my fair share of experience with them considering I own both GTAIV and Warhawk....

Both versions of COD4 (360/PS3) have proved to be laggy at times, so I can't say one is better than the other either; though it's safe to say XBL is probably more stable considering there is less people that can play, but again idk....

Last edited: 10 Nov 2008
  6. TreeDude

TreeDude New Member

COD4 only supports 18 people on the PS3. Get your facts strait. Also comparing different games that came out years apart is not fair. While XBL may cost a bit, you get what you pay for. You get a much larger online community (which you remain connected to, no matter what game your playing) and the best stat tracking around. Not to mention a far better selection of exclusive titles.

7. hodgy100

hodgy100 New Member

thats opinion though isnt it....

I bought a PS3 because I prefer the games on PS3. The only xbox 360 exclusive games I like Gears of war and mass effect, and i can get them both on pc (bar Gears 2)

8. Red 5

Red 5 New Member

Tron had the first avatar. He was inside the software!

Beat that if you can.

(Puts feet on coffee table, places hands behind head, lays back and farts majestically)

(Then awaits being proven wrong)

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

"We had our best programmers on the PS3 [version of Call of Duty] and it shows," Infinity Ward studio head Vince Zampella has bellowed. He's been explaining why Sony's edition has a bigger online capacity (24 max players vs 360's 18) and, according to those with cyborg-eyes, improved visuals.

LINK btw: http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/call-...3/a-2007112111543578009/g-2007042715365068067

My facts are straight (it's "straight" btw). What other games can I compare Resistance 2 to in regards to total number of online players? If you have any please provide some. From what I know, COD4 (idk about 5) is the only game on XBL that supports up to 18 players. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, could you please prove how the stat tracking is "better" (doesn't that depend on the game itself that you are playing)?, and in regards to "far better selection of exclusives" (just as hodgy100 said, that is your opinion and I think both systems offer just as many "good" exclusives.....

10. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

This isnt even on topic.

Why on earth did he decide to point this out? It's trivial at best, Do people really care who invented something like that first?

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

Sure it is. Did you even read all the forum posts? I have not gone off topic. I questioned the guys statement regarding [some company who he wouldn't name, but one that Flibblebot said was Sony] being where [MS] was in 2002. I stated my reasoning as to why that would IMO be wrong.

12. PhenomRed

PhenomRed New Member

Comes across as an arrogant tosser

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Isn't Xbox LIVE games all on P2P servers?

While all 1st Party Sony games are on dedicated servers. hmmmmmm..........

Anyways, wasnt PS2 the first console to have online voice chat, friends lists, download content (SOCOM)?

either way, both PS3 and 360's online are so similar it really makes no difference between the two. I just prefer not to pay $50/year.

14. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Yes, someone at Microsoft claiming they invented something is a perfect reason to damn the whole company to hell. :p

Lol, I yawned at how unimportant claiming the rights to an online avatar is.

But you can't deny Microsoft has the best online experience in the console market.

The next generation of consoles, however, will give the Xbox a run for their money with online communities.

Though I must say, I'm really interested in seeing how Playstation Home pans out. It looks really interesting.

15. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

wait, wait, wait, is he saying that the character in "the sims" was an avatar? in that case aren't all playable characters in all games avatars? i hardly think the sims was the first game to have characters.

whoever this guy is, he comes across as a pathetic little wiener, desperate for a little bit of attention so he can prove to himself that he is important. shame on you bit for giving it to him.

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

My vote goes to populous for being the first to use 3d avatars.

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

No better yet, Gauntlet..

No Ikari wariors..

Hell every late 70's arcade was sooner then Microsoft with their black/white dos

Tags: Add Tags