1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft will not apologise for Xbox bans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Nov 2009.

1. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

While I agree that piracy does not always equal hurt sales, I also believe it hurts the gaming industry more than the movie or music industry simply because games are more expensive and have less longevity.

MS has every right to do this. They are protecting their assets. Would everyone rather they take a card out of the RIAA playbook and star a suing spree?

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I would buy a $50 Xbox, Live or no Live, so thank you MS.

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

+1

4. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Because they banned the people playing a game that wasn't released yet? Well this article doesn't say it, but I read somewhere that they banned all the people caught playing MW2 before it was released.

5. El Rando

El Rando I know what a dremel is

Respect for Microsoft.

6. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Fair play to MS.

7. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

I thought people already got banned from XBox Live for playing pirated games.
    And COD:MW2 being played before the release date with a real copy, thats not the users fault really, its the sellers breaking their sell dates.
    It's unfortunate for the people whom bought a second hand one to find their Xbox only works in offline mode, they would need to check before they hand over money. From the respones I see here, there's no one crying that they have been banned from XBox Live, or too ashamed that they have. LoL. I dont own an XBox (it doesnt do BluRay does it?), I do have a PS3 media player, and sometimes it plays SF4 or GH:Metalica.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

these people arent really ms customers anyway so i dont think ms care what they buy. they did buy the 360 originally but stole everything else and the margins on consoles are thin anyway

i think ms were damn right, if there is a way to get rid of pirates, do it. its a shame they cant disable the 360 fully

if you mod your 360 to use pirate games just stay off live seems a simple way round it, guess some ppl are too gready

9. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

heres a story from yesterday on the bbc news webiste
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10000000/newsid_10002900/10002915.stm
    poor me i modified my xbox to use pirated games and now ms wont let me play the game i robed on thier online system, boo hoo

i dont feel in the least sorry of any of these people, the game industry has basically one avenue for revenue, games sales, other industrys, music, film have other ways to make money, concerts radio royalties, dvd sales tv showings rentals

10. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

I have mixed thoughts about the banning. In one hand MS is indeed losing money from people with modded boxes since they don't buy games, but in the other hand if you ban me from Live for having a modded console then you're cutting me from giving you money in the only way you can get it from me (paying for the Live service itself and me buying stuff on it). While my point there is true, I also understand that if they don't do something to discourage pirates then everybody would do it and they would have a bigger problem; plus right now if you get banned you need to go out and buy a second console from MS (or third if you got the RROD with a previous one) which in turn gives MS some money back.

Whichever the case is, I do understand however that MS have all the right to ban any and all consoles they can detect that have been modded and gamers should not feel abused by this. As long as they send you to jail just for modding the console (pirating games is another issue) then it's all fine with me. The same thing goes for people who bought second hand consoles that were modded/banned beforehand; it's a shame but it's not MS's fault so they shouldn't be responsible for making up for it.

11. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Lol, what a tit... Should have posted his adress so microsoft could go round his house and kick his ass too.

12. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I believe they had said that people who got the game early legitimately just got an error message saying they couldn't play until the 11th or w/e the release date was.

How is it disproportional? You violate the terms which you agreed to abide by when signing up, you broke them willingly and then cry because you got the consequences that were clearly stated would come should you break these terms? Lol.. Take responsibility for your actions and quite whining like a ***** that you have to suffer consequences.

(you meaning generally btw.. not directly "you")

13. armerdan

armerdan What's a Dremel?

I don't have any opinion about weather or not it's good or bad that Micro$oft banned thee users deemed to be pirates, I'm SURE that some of them were and that some probably were not doing anything wrong. I agree that there will be about 100,000 360s on e-Bay for "a steal" that mysteriously don't work with X-box Live.

On the other hand, we're talking about |-|@><0|2$ here so lets be realistic shall we, it'll take them about 2 days to write a piece of code that will change the MAC address on the 360s to anything they want it to be. If they can't figure that out they'll get a cheap Linksys WRT-54G router and set up NAT / port forwarding where all traffic is sent through this router where it will appear as though that's where it originated but really it's getting passed from the 360 and the return traffic will get forwarded to the 360. I'm not a hacker but I could probably figure it out. I'll bet there will be clear instructions on the forums within a week.

14. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

They can't be banning by MAC because you can manually chnage the MAC of an Xbox IIRC, either way....they've got an undetectable firmware for Lite-On drives on its way.

I think if they really want to deter people they'd operate the same policy they did for modded original xboxes, they got bricked (the console powered on and just say flashing green and organge) and the xbox live account banned....now that'd deter people, and did...until the undetectable mod chips came through...

15. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Taking the console off live is one thing, and seems a legitimate action, but corrupting hard drives, removing media center extender support, removing ability to install games... thats different, and seems inappropriate.

if apple bricked all jailbroken iphones so they could never go on the internet again, what would people think about that?

16. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

I hear they can even ban you for using an unofficial hard drive. To me that sound like total BS considering that Sony allows users to upgrade their hard drive if they so desire. I think MS needs to step back and do away with their overpriced proprietary crap and use a standard 2.5" laptop drive like Sony does.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

ross1 alot of people would say its what you get when you do things apple doesnt want you to do

and 2 days later it would be unbricked

welcome to iphone crackfest

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

They do, it's just encased in the little box thing they made for it.

19. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Terrible analogy.

There are two things to note about modified Xbox 360 consoles. Firstly they only do one thing and one thing only, that's play pirated games (or 'backups'), there is no 'home brew' scene yet (e.g. XBMC) or Linux support or imported games functionality. Secondly, modding an xbox360 is not a simple task (although not incredibly difficult either), it's not a disk swap or just putting a special cartridge in. So there is no excuse for people to say "Oh I just wanted to try it out once". You deliberately did it and you spent time doing it.

As for your iPhone analogy, it just doesn't fly. When you buy an iPhone, Apple makes money. If you never used the App store, Apple probably wouldn't care (yes they would like you to, but it isn't vital), they already have your money.

The Xbox 360 is a loss leader, Microsoft do not (and probably never will) make a profit on the console sales. If it wasn't for people buying retail games, the Xbox and Playstation would not exist (I'm excluding the Wii because it's last gen hardware, cheap to manufacture and has made a profit since launch).

If Microsoft is 100% sure the affected consoles have been modified to play pirated games (which I'm sure they are), and the owners are stupid enough to connect to Xbox Live with them, then they deserve worse IMO. They should be grateful that Microsoft didn't completely brick their consoles.

20. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Well said NuTech, it's easy to forget most consoles if not all are sold at a loss.

Incidentally there is a fix already to fix the 360 banned consoles ...

I would assume after all the news headlines that MS won't let the fix last long or it'll suffer major humiliation.

Tags: Add Tags