1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mindboggling Mystery of the Many MMO Mice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Korvus, 26 Sep 2013.

1. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Sooo Thanks to some friends and some timely discounts I appear to be heading back to MMOs...

I used to have an original Razer Naga and while good, it had it's issues and eventually failed :sigh:. I eventually replaced it with a deathadder when I stopped playing MMOs which in time too failed :confused:. I'm currently using a corsair M60 which is doing well...

I kinda want a Naga again, but my previous experiences with Razer left a sour taste in my mouth, and this whole cloud software driver spyware thing doesn't encourage me either :worried:.

That said I'm pondering over three choices - the Corsair M95, the Logitech g600, and a Razer Naga of some description :eyebrow:.

Anyone have any experience with said mice/preferences etc? Cheers in advance :)

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

Razer mice are made like crap.

I used to have one (can't remember the name of it now) and the buttons started squeaking loudly when pressed about a month in.

I then bought a 2007 Boomslang as I loved the original but only because it was £40 with a free Tshirt. It hasn't really worn well. A lot of the finish has come off and it suffers with constant problems where it will forget all of the settings or the scroll wheel stops working.

They're also a pig ignorant company for support too.

So yeah,I would avoid Razer. Over priced junk. Logitech or Corsair should see you well. I had a Logitech keyboard once that just refused to quit no matter how much I hammered on it.

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Sorry, but I've never had a problem with Razer mice. You may have just had a bad experience. Any of those mice are good though.

Also, Alienware doesn't exactly speak "reasonably priced, quality, high performance products" either. I'm very sorry to say it, but you really shouldn't insult a company just because you may have had a bad experience. Just because you didn't get on with them, that doesn't mean they're not a good company with great products. I've had my Razer 3 years and it doesn't squeak, slow down or fail in any way.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2013
    siliconfanatic likes this.
  4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

No they're simply made like crap. I've been through two,one of which should have cost an eye watering one hundred and thirty pounds.

The box it came in was lovely. Open it up, metal cannister. Then the mouse comes out and you go "Oh..."

Now the original Boomslang? was as solid as a rock. Heavy too.

Any 'gaming' product is usually cheaply made and highly priced.

As for Alienware?

1. I've never, ever, bought a built one from either Alienware or Dell (I've always sourced the cases myself).

2. When it comes to build quality their cases are miles ahead of pretty much any case I've ever had. And trust me, I've had a few. I used to change cases monthly.

3. I guess it depends on how you look at what they cost. Dell have bought prices down and made it possible for some one to own a half decent gaming rig without spending other worldly amounts of money (see also - Falcon Northwest, the defunct Voodoo, and OriginPC).

Alas, when all is said and done it's just a case. Nothing to get hot under the collar about. I paid £200 for my case, 1200w 80+ Silver PSU with two DVD drives. Any case and equivalent PSU would have cost me more.

5. Darkwisdom

That does not mean you can get off on plain insulting them. Many people I know hate Alienware and have had bad experiences. That does not mean Alienware are a bad company. I like alienware and think their cases look great; albeit slightly too pricey.

Same goes for razer, or any other company. Don't condemn them just because of your own personal opinions.

Also, I don't use any drivers with my Razer Imperator. It plugs in and plays without them. The DPI switch buttons work without them too. I think the drivers are only needed for macros when it comes to razer mice. Or you feel a compulsion to use the cloud save feature.

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

Alienware used to be hilariously over priced. Now granted they use top shelf components (well, did, pre 2007) but yeah, I had good LOLs many times over their pricing. I priced up a Celeron D with 128mb ram and they wanted $900 for it. I built the same spec (though obviously inferior board and case) for $280. THAT is bad :hehe:

It isn't 'my opinion' on Razer dude. It's facts from owning them. If I didn't own them (like about 99% of people who bash on Alienware) then I wouldn't be best suited to comment on it. Right now both OP and I seem to have made the exact same discovery - IE - they're underbuilt and made like crap and don't last.

I'm still using one now but like OP having been burnt twice I certainly wouldn't return to them. Not my opinion on their customer service either. It was worse than XFX's.

7. Darkwisdom

'Doesn't last' doesn't make them bad in every respect. I've heard bad things about corsair mice, do I think any less of their company? Nope.

8. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Depends what level of mmo gaming we are talking about. Theres plenty of players who can map the entire game to there mouse and play like that, Id personally not like that but each there own.

Logitech seems popular with people I raid with who use there mouse alot for the different things. ( mostly tanks though who use a mouse as main raid tool ) As mobile dps not sure id want to have to use the mouse for anything but target enemys and moving the camera.

9. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

I bought a CX430 PSU. It was crap, I blamed Corsair for cost cutting. It also didn't 'do' the 80+ they labelled it with. Who else should I blame?

As I said dude, a mouse, chit, ANY mouse that costs £130 should be built to £130 standards.

As it stood? just an over priced product. I ended up with a fake Razer once and it lasted longer than the first genuine one I had.

Gaming product = about two tons of hyperbole,two semi naked women standing holding it to prove to us that it's manly, cheaply made and certainly worth nowhere near what they charge for it.

I recently priced up some LED strips that were made "For PC enthusiasts" as the label stated. £9 each. I then went on Amazon and found exactly the same LED strips (right down to the 3M backing tape) for £2 each delivered.

I'm sorry, but £130 for a mouse is quite frankly bonkers. Look at the Roccat Kone for another example. £55 at launch, loads of people's scroll wheel collapsed and fell in. That's probably because they cost around 50p each to make in China.

10. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Just a heads up for anyone reading this thread: I have been using my Naga 1st gen for almost 4 years without any trouble. Best mouse I have ever owned, and it endured quite a bit of LAN abuse. Same goes for the Razer Keyboard I own. I have convinced a couple of friends to get Razers as well. None of them had any problems. At all. They driver software: Either you love or hate it, but the products work fine without it.

But then I remember AA has been moaning about Razer at every chance he got...

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

andy your anecdotal evidence totally convinces everyone

12. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Well-Known Member

Personally I haven't used a Razer product due to price and what I heard regarding quality. I quite like the Logitech, the MMO mouse is epic with the amount of buttons. But why not just put the money into a decent keyboard with macros instead of a mouse with the buttons on it.

In regards Alienware that is for a different thread. I heard some lols recently regarding upgrade policy and being unwilling to do so. Well my friend simply upgraded and flashed custom bios as Alienware did not support the upgrades to the laptop.

Suggesting buy a complete new one. How about no.

13. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

Sorry you'll have to forgive me for having the where with all to like, use things such as search engines.

Go and Google for "Razer double click problem".

Emphasis added, because that is basically the general consensus on Razer products. Built like crap, too expensive.

14. Darkwisdom

The double click problem happens on more than just Razer mice dude; don't single them out just because you dislike them.

15. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

I'm not. I'm singling them out because they are over priced junk.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...n=2,ui=tl..0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.usG3iERXu70

And those are just the people who made a video and uploaded it. So it's hardly an isolated incident is it?

The big fix was apparently taking it apart and putting either WD40 in it or Vaseline.

I'm not being funny man, but on a £50 mouse? If it were a £2 Tesco job then yeah, I could roll with it.

I complained to Razer. They took about two weeks to come back, completely ignoring my problem, only to say "Please contact the place of purchase".

What sort of support is that? that's XFX treatment.

At the prices they charge their support should be exemplary. See also - Corsair (because even though I bought a crap PSU their support is the thing of legend) EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte.....

16. Darkwisdom

All gaming mice are technically over-priced junk. We pay the premiums because we're gamers and feel like we need the advantage the high dpi rating gives us. It's not just razer; it's all mice. Corsair, logitech, mad cats etc. It's all over-priced really, and as far as i've seen; unless it's a mouse over £100, the build quality is all about the same.

Also, you paragraph too much where you don't need to. You only need to start a new paragraph when the subject is different. It makes it harder to understand what you're talking about. (grammar nazi here)

17. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

I make what I type easy to read. I type it as I like to read it. This is hardly the queen's English here, it's a forum. As for the DPI rating? every time I switch mine the mouse goes nuts. Mad catz = crap. Not had any Corsair peripherals. Logitech? well from the experience I've had with them I can't complain. However, that works both ways. If some one decided to speak up about a bad experience? word of mouth is still vitally important to me.

I would absolutely love to come here and sing Razer's praises. But I can't, and I feel that I should speak of my experiences (as we all should, good and bad).

18. Darkwisdom

There's speaking of experience, then there's just insulting a company's reputation and merchandise. Fine, what you had was bad. That doesn't make them all bad. MY razer is still in perfect condition pretty much and Aterius Gmork said his Naga was still fine as well; I would buy a Razer again and I strongly recommend them. A couple of people's opinions don't make it good advice or fact. Also, where I am just as bad in that respect in this particular thread; all you did was badmouth Razer rather than saying "yeah, I had one that was bad for this reason, I think you should get this one because.. ". You didn't input anything particularly useful; you purely vented your hate.

Now i'm going to step away and say; OP should get a different mouse brand like Logitech and try his luck, perhaps your experience will be more pleasant. I apologize for the argument rather than helping you with your original issue.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2013
  19. Boorach

Boorach Member

I have had my Razer Deathadder for about 6 years and i love it. Has had thousands of hours of gaming abuse without a hiccup. Maybe the older ones were built better?

20. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

Yes they were. My original boomslang took an absolute battering.