1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Minecraft offers and educational uses?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MSHunter, 16 Apr 2019.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Well-Known Member

I am looking into offers for PC version of Minecraft and educational uses.
    My 7yr son really wants Minecraft for the PS3 (our only console) and
    has been very diligently saving up his allowance. So obviously we will be getting that.

But as PC gamer my self I am aware that there will probably be some limitations to what you can do on that version of the game. So as funds are not grate I thought I would ask my internet buddies here if you know of any coupons, or seasonal sales that I could use to also get him Minecraft for the PC and if this makes any sense.

Big confession time:
    I have never played minecraft but have played far too many hours of Terraria and made some minor contributions to the Mech forum for that game.

Also any Ideas on educational uses of Minecraft would be great and other ways to show the benefits/positive sides of gaming to none gamers without causing them offence as I personally am not good at explaining this to people.

Thanks guys for taking the time to read my waffle :)
    Wishing you all the best, it has been far too long since I was last active here!

Hex likes this.
  2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Not sure if this fits the bill completely, but it's Minecraft, the copy of MC is free and preinstalled and it's definitely educational! So... how about Minecraft on a Raspberry Pi:

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/getting-started-with-minecraft-pi

If you don't already have a Pi sitting around, there are often cheap ones going in the For Sale forum here. Quite a few of us have way too many of the things as they're very addictive! :hehe:

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4. Hex

I was going to link that, but you need an Office 365 Education account for it. It's limited to teachers and schools :(

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Be aware, though, that it is very, very broken. It was released as an early alpha proof-of-concept then never updated. It's also very limited, more so even than the original Pocket Edition. It's free, but that's about all it has going for it.

6. Hex

That's a shame. I haven't dabbled with it very much at all. I got the Win10 version when it was free (and already had an ancient account for the java version... and actually I have it on 360/XB1 too...), but looking online there are no cheap versions of Minecraft (legally) any more.