1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. Joey_B

Joey_B Theres a SNAKE in my boot!!

Griefer Protection

Hi Guys

I'm not active on the Bit-Tech server (though I do pop in time to time on this thread to keep up to date on some of the amazing things you guys are building) but I have noticed you seem to be having a bit of trouble with griefers that I may be able to help you out with.

I have fairly recently been promoted to admin on a 200 slot public server (Coneboy SMP - 83.169.34.241) and I thought I could share some of the tools/plugins we use to keep the server almost 100% griefer proof even with the IP open to the public.

The 4 main plugins we use for griefer protection are:

BigBrother - LINK

World Guard - LINK

Cleaner (Inventory scanner) - LINK

Vanish - LINK

BigBrother I find most useful as the second someone reports griefing you can "/tp" to them, use the "/bb stick" command and wave your "History Stick" at the griefed area, which the lists all edits on that block meaning you can work out who had destroyed that persons structure. This can then be rectified with the rollback command "/bb rollback [griefer name] r:100" which would remove all work done by the griefer within a radius of 100 blocks. Then its server policy on whether this person is warned or banned.

I hope this has given you some ideas on how to sort out your griefer infestation.

All the best

Happy Mining :D

2. -=ice=-

-=ice=- New Member

Who does one need to PM to get some IPs?

Failing that, could someone in the know send them please.

Been playing Minecraft since December but am yet to play on a populated server :thumb:

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

You've been clearly and politely told what the deal is, several times. The only thing you're going to achieve with this constant begging is proving that we can't trust you.

On a semi-related note, i'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that both server IPs are private, for a reason. The fact that we gave them out to you does not mean you can pass them on.

4. Kroy

Kroy Member

Nice one Joey. I think the server admin might have two of those in action. He was certainly waving a stick around....

I'll check out your server too :)

200 slot server? WTF.... what are the specs on that? it's hard enough with the rig that XM has going, and it's no slouch for sure.

5. Joey_B

Joey_B Theres a SNAKE in my boot!!

These are the specs I pulled off of our forum:

4x CPU GenuineIntel, Intel® Xeon®CPU @ 1.50GHz = 6GHz
    RAM 8GB + up to 8GB Swap =16GB max
    HDD 500 GB
    OS Linux 2.6.18-028stab070.7

And it's hosted in a professional datacenter somewhere in Germany.

Honestly, I'm not too familiar with the hardware side of things (My duties tend to be more in game based) but I do know Coneboy has spent a LOT of time optimizing scripts and databases to get the server running as smoothly as it does today.

Any chance of the IP for XM's server?? I have the IP for the old creative server but haven't had a look round your new map yet :)

6. -=ice=-

-=ice=- New Member

I was hoping the someone who has the power to hand out IPs would, not to encourage random handouts of course :)

7. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

If someone knows what to do about my connection problem I would like some help.
    My google fu is no good.

I just wanna build me a underwater kingdom.

8. Kroy

Kroy Member

9. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

I do have the IP.

10. fuus

fuus Rocking All Year Christmas

mc net just gone down?

11. MrsFio

MrsFio THE Minecraft Woman

It does that every now and then.. Just try again. :)

12. jeff1155

jeff1155 New Member

Hi guys

I'm a CustomPC subscriber and I'm trying to find a safe online server for my son, he's a sensible rule-compliant lad, to play multiplayer minecraft on; he loves the single player game so much but there's only so much he can get out of it on his own.

Ideally there would be a moderated server to take care of his online safety, but failing that a defined community is the next best thing.

Any recommendations? I was going to ask for the bit-tech IP but it seems a) you'd probably rather have people that can co-operate in bigger projects to move your server on rather than just exploring it and not adding much, and b) it seems asking isn't enough :)

Thanks

Geoff.

13. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

Dear Bit-Tech Survivalists,

I have confession to make.....

I have switched to the 'Dark Side' and am configuring a Bukkit server :worried:

Although i want to be loyal to hMod, circumstances we all know have made this impossible. hMod may be fixed (as good as...), but plugins are not being developed any more. They have all jumped ship, so there fore i am forced to do the same :sigh:

On the plus side of things, i am safe to say that you, the player ,will not notice anything, except more stabillity, less lagg and more useful (though not 'cheating') commands (due to better plugin support). I have read that memory management is a lot better in Bukkit, so that alone is reason enough :)

I can't quite say when i'm ready for the switch, but you will know soon enough. What i don't know is if i will tell when i am switching :p It would be nice to test if the transfer is as seamless as i think. (LWC protections for one are already copied).

Mellow greetings from your friendly server-admin,

Xtreme_Machine

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

Hi Geoff

Being a CustomPC subscriber really isn't enough to gain our trust, but your post is quite compelling so i'll go by face value. We've recently implemented some extra security measures so i'm not too worried either.

I'll pm you the IP to both of our servers shortly. While the survival server's address itself may be considered vulgar, we're a rather nice, mature community with our own dedicated cake angel and little to no trash talking so i do believe we can keep ourselves from spoiling your son. As long as he doesn't set any houses on fire we'll take care of him.

Peter

EDIT: I can't actually send you the IPs because you seem to have disabled your personal messages.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2011
  15. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

I support DragunovHUN on sending the Survival IP :)

We are a nice bunch of people :)

16. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

You can't send PM's to someone with under 10 posts.
    EDIT: Emailed it to Geoff - check your emails.

17. Kroy

Kroy Member

minecraft.net down *again*.... Amazon really aren't any better than whatever it was before.

sigh. and to think I only logged out to avoid being ganked whilst afk.

Time to try some SP

and to new players.... we have an active community, we welcome new players. I don't know what the rules are to join, other than you promise to play nice or you will be black-listed.

18. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

So, who do you have to screw around here to get the survival server IP :p?

19. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

no, you just have to prove you didnt join bit-tech just to obtain the server IP. in other words, if you have just a few posts and they are non-contributing and/or non-productive then you probably wont get an IP.

you, on the other hand, have a quote from my favorite movie of all time under your name...so i think your a shoe in.

20. lp rob1

lp rob1 New Member

Could I have the IP of the server as well? Don't have any movie quotes though... :eyebrow: