1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft; Official Bit-tech server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stickeh, 6 Oct 2010.

1. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

Definitely worth considering a new world, since it takes a long walk to get to newly generated areas. But we should consider a new nether also, but that's probably what you meant by keeping the old nether, witch would be accessible through world 1.8.

I agree with you on the cheating part. I think I recalled this from way back when visiting different multiplayer worlds. You started in a "small" world witch had different portals to the different worlds - and the entrance-point would be in the spawn-house. Could of course also have multiple portals from the "start-world" to the same world at different location. By example the old and the new spawn at World17.

Are there any plugins/patches that accommodate this feature?

Another thing I've thought about is bringing stuff you colleted in one world over to another. I see the usefulness of this for the guys (and galls) starting in World before they get promoted, but since our server is supposed to be survival, we should consider the possibility of starting from scratch.

And thinking of naming-schemes - maybe we should wait until 1.9 - since we already have World17 and World18? ;)

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Seems like we're thinking pretty much along the same lines.

In terms of not bringing items over, I think a self-imposed embargo until you get properly established is probably enough. If you ban items completely throughout you might as well just play on two different servers!

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sorry I haven't been around lately, but I bought XCOM Enemy Unknown recently and I CAN'T STOP PLAYING IT! IT'S SO AWESOME!:D

There is indeed a plugin to do exactly what you describe, and I used to use it on all my servers: Multiverse. There are a number of add-ons for the main plugin, such as: one nether per overworld, persistent inventories and different inventories for different worlds. It also has an add-on to make custom portals for travelling between worlds; using this you can specify entry and exit portals for each pair of portals, and this will work for portals in the same world - IIRC you can use it to "fast travel" between portals in the same world. Which leads me on to my next point...

Instead of starting a new world, why don't we define a custom portal in world18 that takes you into new chunks? It's going to put more load on the server with such a massive world, but even if you started a new world for 1.7 the server would still have to support the new world for 1.7 and the existing worlds. A new world where everyone starts from scratch is a tempting idea, but I've only just got to the point where I have decent resources, dammit :). Plus you're always going to have this problem as new features are added in new versions; horses, for example, will only spawn in chunks generated after the update to 1.6.

Of course using Multiverse instead of Multiworld will mean config changes and new permissions to consider... If we switch to Multiverse I'm happy to help out with that if needed, as I've used it quite a bit in the past. DynMap is compatible with Multiverse, but I don't know what other plugins are used on the server aside from bPerms.

EDIT:

Even with the fastest speed available to consumers in the UK, 120Mbps, I only get 10Mbps upload. And even then I get traffic-shaping at peak times; of course, peak times are defined as "times when I am not in work and ACTUALLY WANT TO USE IT!!".

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

That sounds like a much better idea!

5. MrsFio

MrsFio THE Minecraft Woman

:clap: Me likes :clap:

*knitting while waiting at the zombietrap in basement*

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Yeah, after completing the turrets on my tower im not too keen on restarting the world anymore :p

What is a custom portal? :)

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

With Multiverse, and I assume other plugins are similar, you define an opening of at least 1x2 blocks as a portal using a tool (like a wooden axe, similar to worldedit).

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Perhaps something like this:

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

... That's an awesome idea, much better than faffing around with switching to a multi-world plugin.

I've hardly ever played around with command blocks, but it looks like I need to....

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

The server doesn't have TP command active though? I thought anyway.

Just had a mega grind session, come away with Half a double chest of coal & redstone 2 rows of iron, 2 stacks of gold and 2.5 stacks of diamonds :) plus 2 double chests of cobble :D now me and Bealstorm can build our pigman grinder in the nether :D.

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Want help with that? After 1.7 I want to crate a wither skelly farm which is pretty similar.

I also want to make an iron golem farm. I might even make somethin akin to the iron trench!

12. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Iron Golem farm would be cool :),

working on an Automated sorting chest system at the moment :) there is a railway 800m+ long going all the way too a new chunk of nether :), sourcing Quartz if anyone wants to take a trip its at the top of the ladder near my portal / blaze spawn.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Doesn't have to be for command blocks, AFAIK. Besides, /tp probably is active, but only for ops ;).

14. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

Good news everyone.... ;)

I finally have some more info on the server move.

I've been busy at my parents house helping out with the renovation of the shower and toilet (Also the reason why I am not playing). While I am here anyway, I figured it would be a good idea to move the server sooner rather then later.... That means this news is a bit short-notice. Sorry for that.

I have made arrangements and the server will be moved this weekend.

The server will go down THIS Friday afternoon. It will stay down until Friday evening late, or Saturday morning (probably the later).

I will ofcourse let you know when it's up again and what the new IP is going to be.

Bellow a small teaser of my preparations today:

[​IMG]
    Running a UTP cable in the crawlspace under the floor.

[​IMG]
    Crimping the connector and the very important router.

[​IMG]
    Our new 'home' in the utility room :D :D

As you can see I got a small surprise when i ran the speed test. Apparently my dad got his connection upgraded (for the same price) to 100mbit!!! :clap: (When I asked he got the letter some time ago, but never told me :duh: )

P.S. The very observant under you may notice the cable outlet. That was indeed used for our first cable modem. When I was still living at my parents, my first server was actually in the very same spot! :p

Edit:
    I will look into the whole 1.7 new world thingy after the move. Did not have much time to investigate yet. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2013
  15. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

Nice preparation, XM. I'm sure it will be awesome... ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

16. Xtreme_Machine

Finally a message from me... WE ARE ONLINE AGAIN! :clap:

The new IP is: 84.39.26.40

Minecraft and HTTP ports should be forwarded. So you should be able to connect and use dynmap :)

If you have any problems, please let me know.

P.S. Anyone any idea on how to update the first post?

Edit:

Also updated to version 1.6.4 and set difficulty to normal, so be more careful!! :)

Last edited: 21 Sep 2013
  17. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Connection time out 503 error code

18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Same here.

EDIT: Fixed now.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2013
  19. Xtreme_Machine

Ohw thank god. I was kinda lost what the issue was. I checked everything in the router and that was OK. Also just did a test with a friend of mine and he could connect.

I did some searching and apparently when you get a 503 error there is an issue with the identification servers (aka minecraft.net). Maybe that was the cause.

Glad it's working now!! :)

20. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

So it is possible to be approved as a normal member somehow now? I didn't spawn in a world griefed to hell this time...