1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Mini-DTX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oooo, 24 May 2007.

1. Oooo

Oooo What's a Dremel?

With the anouncement of the first mini-DTX mobo: http://www.dailytech.com/Gigabyte+Announces+First+DTX+Motherboard/article7286c.htm it atleast made me open my eyes.

AMD has anounced the new form factor a while back: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/01/10/amd_announces_dtx_for_small_form_factor/1

It has a perfect size at 17x20 cm, just a bit bigger then the mini-itx form factor.
    But the thing make it better than mini-itx is you can use a standard AM2 cpu of choice, atleast two DDR2 memories, a pci-e gfx-card and apparenty very many HDD's.
    As for the cpu support it won't support Intel (for now atleast), like BTX didn't support AMD.
    It's compitable with the ATX standard, and use only standard conections.
    The price is apparently not going to be skyhigh, probably leveling with same specced mobos, if it will be incorporated better to the market then BTX was.

It just seem it will be made for OEM in the early stages.
    Otherwise it look like a perfekt form factor for us who like to build small yet powerful not needing a slow VIA cpu, and the posibility for extreme gfx.

Please share toughts and goods/bads.

Main link to all important facts: http://www.dtxpc.org/

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I always liked tiny computers

3. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

It does look good. A similar board with a low wattage X2 3800, passive gfx card, 2 or 3 500gb quiet sata drives for storage and 2.5" sata drive for OS/software/downloads, gigabit ethernet to main pc. Just what I need :)

4. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I would actually love to get my hands on one of those, i suppose you could say its portable.

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd love one of those to replace my School PC. I'm sure it would fly with 2Gb of DDR2, an X2 3800 and something like an 8500..

6. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

i like it but one thing that gets to me is that everyone seems to want their own form factor. how hard really would it have been to get it to an itx form factor so the itx cases that are currently out there could actually be used. like i said i do like this but for the sake of having another form factor just because, i hope it fails.

7. Oooo

Oooo What's a Dremel?

I think no one would like to have that Gigabyte mobo since it don't have any pci-e x16 for gfx, and the integrated gfx only support directX 7 :hehe:

Yes, this is just AMD's way to revenge Intel because they made BTX that only could support their cpu's because of the layout.
    If you find a bit bigger mini-itx case you can fit a mobo of this size in. It's like, many mini-itx cases are designed to work with flex-itx as well. And flex-itx is about the same size as mini-DTX.
    It may just fit, and all will be good.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What's wrong with micro ATX or mini-ITX?

Everyone is happy.

9. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

No PCIe is a downer but u can get x1600 as PCI nowadays. Good enough for a school pc. I dont think DTX is aimed at the gamers market anyway. More office and home user stuff.

10. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

It doesn't really matter if people like it or not really, just AMD taking a bash at sub MATX form factors should help boost competition in that market further :)

11. Oooo

Oooo What's a Dremel?

Nothings wrong at all with them. It's just a bit smaller then micro atx with same features, and just a bit bigger then mini-itx but with better features.

True. For this mobo. Guess an office pc will do fine with that, and tinking LAN it will work allright.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Still has a load of layers which negates the implied saving of DTX, yet, still doesn't have a PCI-Express x16. Spose it does have two memory slots though.

It's only because the AM2 socket is freakin massive, and AMD won't retail their mobile chips :/

13. Oooo

Oooo What's a Dremel?

The lack of a pci-e x16 is just on this mobo. In the reference drawings and AMDs own premade mobo there is a pci-e x16 slot built.
    If it's probably going to be used in office pc two memory slots is enough. True?

This Gigabyte mobo seems to be a bad start, cause it is capable of running a pci-e x16 slot, but don't have it. Among other things...

Edit: We can buy mobile socket S1 chips fairly easy over here i online stores.

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

BAD, BAD, BAD GIGABYTE!

why the HELL did they use the 761GX? The ****ing thing locks up under ANY 3D load.

15. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

You can get mini-ITX mobos with 16x Pci-e, socket for mobile core 2 and two mem slots just theyre not as easy to get hold of as the VIA ones.

I think eventually its volume that will decide whether they become reasonably priced.

I hope they make a DTX board with a Turion socket.

Moriquendi

16. Oooo

Oooo What's a Dremel?

Yepp, but how many models are there in the market. And the mobo alone cost as much as a complete office pc today.

Remember how BTX was coming to the market, it had almost as many models as comercial mini-itx at most, all that in short time. And the BTX, like DTX now, was way better feature and performance wise.

17. Tulatin

Yeah, but BTX never caught on. You needed new cases, new heatsinks, etc.

DTX is oddly/stylistically compatible with ATX. You can plop it into your average joe atx case. Just like it was with AT/Baby AT -> ATX

18. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

That plus it is aa open standart makes it superior to BTX. I am looking farward to DTX and some more SFF fun

19. Tulatin

Open standard or not, it comes down to what consumers want; i would be far more inclined to buy into something that seems future proof, and compatible with the present - rather than something that needs a near complete system overhaul.

20. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

It's an open standard, but because of the layout the memory is giving an advantage to AMD because they have memory controllers on the CPU. It's better then BTX because it can go in ATX cases, but it's an AMD format for now.

Tags: