1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Mini iTX / Micro ATX Gaming PC - General Advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mat0tam, 30 Sep 2014.

1. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

Hi all,

So i'm thinking of downsizing.
    My current PC just feels too big for what I use if for, (Recreational BF3/Dota/MC) and as of FEB 2015 i'l have a new apartment and possibly want to run it as a HTPC / Gamer in the living room.

My Current Spec: [Keeping/Upgrading]

[CPU] - i5 2500k
    [MoBo] - P8Z68-V LX
    [GPU] - 6870
    [RAM] - 8gb Corsair DDR
    [SSD] - Samsung 840 EVO (240gb)
    [SSD] - OCZ Vertex 3 64gb
    [PSU] - 750W OCZ Modular

[HDD] - 2Tb Cavier Green
    [Case] - Fractal Arc Midi

So... My question is, Which Mobos are best for Mini ITX gaming (Budget £100), Will the hardware i've decided to keep be suitable for a smaller case and any general advice for going down to Mini ITX.

(Will consider Micro ATX if Mini proves too much hassle).

Like the look of the Fractal Node 304 - LINK
    Also like the Bitfenix Prodigy case - LINK

Last edited: 30 Sep 2014
  2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I like mATX as it gives you option to use a sound card or second GPU.

I have had great experience with my rig (see sig). Sadly I am selling due to having more important family commitments.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Youd be wanting a z77 ITX.

Problem is that 1155 is end of life and not many shops stock them, even fewer stock itx versions.

ITX prices seem to be fairly high on eBay as well.

Could get a smaller ATX supporting case?

4. mat0tam

This I did not think off.

How about this one? LINK

Being honest, my Modo "suitability" knowledge could do with some work.

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hi, it's tricky to keep up with Intel turning out new chipsets most years!

I am running a mATX portable rig at the moment but about to go back to ITX (used to take i3 H55 in Silverstone SG05 to LAN nights), and had the same difficulty as you finding a Z77 board.

That ITX mobo you linked to will take your i5 2500k, but won't let you overclock it - it's a basic model.

As mrbungle said, you need a Z77 ITX board to allow full oc ability.
    The 2 that are out there are the Asus P8Z77i Deluxe - Jinq Sea is asking for prices on his in the marketplace at the moment, so that may go for sale. They seem to fetch £60- £100 on the 'bay, which at the moment at the higher end not much less than a new Z87 or Z97 board (wrong chip fit...)

The other is the Asrock Z77E ITX, which is available new still in a few places at £90 - £100.

Although they are not cheap, you will be able to use your existing 2500K and the other parts, which will save you a fair bit of money.

I like my ITX cases small - I have an SG05 as mentioned (can't get much smaller...) and a Parvum ITX for the new build. The Prodigy is on the large size and about the same size as smaller mATX cases.

Good luck with the build, you have some good kit there.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

P8Z77-I.

Job done!

Definitely 100% love ITX. Since you want to keep your full ATX PSU my recommendation would be the Corsair 250D.

7. mat0tam

Thanks for the help so far you guys!

Will keep an eye on Jinq Seas thread. Will do a bit of thinking regarding Case now. I like the 250D, will check some videos on it.

Next decision is do I put PC in living room and somehow stream to a TV in my bedroom for night time watching or do it the other way... Hmm.

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Sorry - the z77 ITX motherboard that I have will not be going up for sale :(

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Modder

I can tell you that the 250D is a lovely case. I've just sold mine because itx was just a little too limiting so I'm waiting for a 350D today. I'll let you know how I get on with that. In the mean time I fully recommend the 250D for an ITX case. I had a blu ray drive in it and a H60 cooler. It all fit fine and you can get bigger AIO coolers to fit too.

10. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

If it's any help as a guide my 3770 is in a matx Lian Li V351b along with a 570 Phantom.

I was dubious at the start as it has 2x120mm in and 1x80mm out and I did have to disable the turbo on the 3770 as I only use a big shuriken but neither the 570 not the 3770 ever leave high 60's.