1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Mini-ITX: Sizes, screwpositions and such

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spirp, 19 Dec 2003.

1. spirp

spirp What's a Dremel?

Hi all!

I'm planning to build a custom plexi chassi during Q1 2004. Currently I'm doing some resarch and I'm looking for some specifications for the Mini-ITX. I found out (quite easily :) that the mainboards are 170x170mm, but I've been unable to find any info on the positions for the screws with which to attach it to the case.. I'm also curios about how big the heatsink and fan is, in order to cram as much as possible in a small case.

Anyone has any info on this?

If anyone's wondering about the case, it will be a 200x200x250mm plexi glass chassi, somewhat inspired by the Apple G4 Cube. Hopefully I'll be able to start a modguide about
    this project, but that's up to the future to decide.. :)

thanks in advance, happy modding!

//Spirp

Last edited: 19 Dec 2003
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HSF is weeny; same height as the overall mobo. No more than 40x40x15mm

3. spirp

spirp What's a Dremel?

ok, thanks! :)

Is that for the Eden systems or for the C3's? (I guess C3's are bigger, with the fan and all?)

happy modding,
    Spirp

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

dunno bout eden, i was referring to the M10k EPIA w/C3 i have here.

5. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

I'm measure mine when i get home, after watching ROTK.

I think that there's a white paper on the Via website...

www.viatech.com/en/VInternet/Mini-iTX.PDF

however the mainboard is 170x170.. and the screw holes are more or less in teh corners.. the problem is that one of them isnt.

6. spirp

spirp What's a Dremel?

Are they really that small? :jawdrop: Great :)

I'm thinking of using a EPIA-TC10000 LP1000 or something similar, they apparently have a 12V DC, which allows me to ditch the builtin PSU.. :)

I found a fairly hires pic of a of the board at
    http://www.viavpsd.com/product/4/8/tophi.jpg

I think I'll be able to at least get some preliminary measures of it, after all, it should be possible to calculate the distances from the fact that each side of the motherboard is 170mm :)

thanks for you input btw!

7. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

according to This PDF, (from formfactors.org) a mini-itx board uses the 4 standard ATX mounting screws,.

Looking at mine, the three corner screws are 5 mm from the corners, and use the standard 8mm head screws (Ie, the case srews go pretty much to the edge of the motherboard)

when i first built my mini-itx system, i didnt have a case, so i built it into the box the motherboard came in.

Its small. Its VERY small.

Sadly, however the active heatsink sounded like a wounded hornet.. and i've as yet not been able to find a better heatsink.

I've swapped the heatsink for a zalman northbridge sink, and stuck a couple of 40 mm fans to the sides... .. which now means that it sounds like a Drunk hornet.

8. J_dupak

J_dupak What's a Dremel?

if you can make 2 of those plexi itx cases let me know...I've had lots of trouble working with plexi and making everything fit......i can tell you about all my screwups hahaha

9. bigmacmcgee

bigmacmcgee What's a Dremel?

I downloaded a highly detailed 3d model of an M10000 from the epiacentre.de forums, slapped it straight into the CAD model of my project.

It has all the screw holes you'll need.

Tags: