1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete MINI MOTO MAYHEM: Photo Dump

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asouter, 23 Mar 2013.

?

Which Colour

Poll closed 24 Sep 2013.
  1. UV Lime Yellow

31.3%
  2. Pastel Blue

68.8%
  1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

This is going to be really good, although I think you should use the coke glass as a reservoir, just stick a pump top on it and you're good to go :rock:.

2. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

A hell lot of awesomeness in here. I'll definately be following!

3. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks Wiby, I'm pretty stoked about this one and it's getting difficult to leave it alone and do the everyday living stuff, which is a good thing it means that the enthusiasm for the build shouldn't wane

Thanks Act95, The coke glass was just for the mock up, Now that it's been in place for a few days and it catching my eye every time I go into the kitchen, something has been bugging me about the whole idea and I have re-thought about how I am going to tackle the reservoir. I don't like the res breaking the line and shape of the tank. I have found a solution and will post in the next update (in an hour or so)

Cheers man, Again I'm excited about this project, which helps with the motivation. Also something came through the post which has given me a boost.

4. Asouter

Asouter --------

Reservoir solution

UPDATE 31/03/13

Time for an update,

Yesterday I got home from work and the other half was annoyed with me, a parcel had been delivered from AquaTuning (Germany) and she thought I'd been spending more money (y'know how it is) I was baffled as I hadn't ordered anything and thought the parcel had been sent to the wrong address.

[​IMG]

It had my name on it and thought what the hay and opened it. Inside was a modding kit from Phobya. 3 nice fans, some braided sata cables, LEDs and a fan controller ... oh and some gummy bears which got damaged in a series of small accidents involving me and my stomach.

[​IMG]

Then I remember .... It was a prize for D33P THOUGHT and the write up it had in CUSTOM PC magazine. So a big thank you to AquaTuning for sending the Phobya kit through and also to Corsair for the Case and PSU. Also a Huge thanks to Combatus for chasing it all up :thumb:

So the fans came in handy as I have been looking through the Net trying to decide what to get, (they still might change yet) but for now they're a god send as I can see that they fit perfectly.

[​IMG]

The fans look pretty good and should give off a nice red glow through the frame.

[​IMG]

Right now for thing that's been bugging the hell out me, the reservoir. I really don't like the first idea as the reservoir will break up the lines and shape of the tank. The bike has been screaming at me every time I walk past it. I plan to use Mayhems fluid in this build and want to do the Aurora fluid some justice. So I have ordered up a solid block of acrylic and will make a custom reservoir, the shape will be the Mayhems water droplet logo (If Mayhems doesn't mind) and the return flow will go through the top of the tank, much like a fuel breather hose.

[​IMG]

here's a mock up of what I have in mind, I need to see a man about a dog for this but it should be possible. I will use an anti kink coil as the hose will be exposed, it will help to keep the hose open and also protect it. I really like K.3nny's hose covers but it could be some time before they're commercially available (hurry up K.3nny)

Another small job that I've done is to fit the front fender, which wasn't as straight forward as it should have been as I had to remove the whole front end and turn it around as the mounting brackets were facing the wrong way.

[​IMG]

and finally the where it's at pic

[​IMG]

Jobs to tackle next, fit two 12 Volt batts, fit the electric motor and fit the PSU.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2013
  5. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Andy, check your PMs when you get a second dude. :)

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I missed this; crazy idea.:D

7. Piotrek_PL

Piotrek_PL What's a Dremel?

That's a nice project but I think you should just hide the res under this tank cover, it would look a way better imho.

8. Asouter

Asouter --------

Darwin prize worthy ?

9. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks Piotrek, I want to have the res on diplay, it would be easy to just hide the res but I have something special in progress, so look out for an update with the help from a talented friend

10. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 23/04/13

It's been a crackin day outside so time to get some more progress done on the bike

I have an old PC in the shed, it's never gonna be worth getting sorted and I'm low on material.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not impressive is it ? but it has something I want so lets get this thing torn down, like I said it was a nice day, so took advantage of the sun and done it in the garden.

[​IMG]

Now for the bit I want, not having any experience with the mini ITX form factor, I'm assuming it can still be mounted on to an ATX mobo tray (backward compatibility) and on further measuring I should be able to cut down the mobo tray and make use of the I/O shield and expansion slot mountings

[​IMG]

and after drilling out all the rivets, I have what I want and also some useful material to make "other things"

[​IMG]

I quite like the power button too, so I think I'll use that and mount that on the tank somewhere.

[​IMG]

we will come back to the mobo tray later but in the mean time I have had some "bits" delivered for the drive system, motor, throttle, batteries, ignition, charging unit and port and motor control unit.

[​IMG]

The motor control unit appears to have some excess connections (or at least to me there are) The light connections can go, or they might come in useful for adding bling when running, ohh and the brake connector can get binned too, pffft brakes ....

[​IMG]

Fitting the motor was easier than expected, It's just mounted onto two strips of steel and bolted onto the frame, I did have some clearance issues with the front sprocket and the chain rubbing against the frame but I packed out the sprocket, ground down some of the motor cover and filed some flats onto the frame. This has allowed me to pinch a few millimeters and the chain clears the frame quite nicely.

[​IMG]

It does however raise another issue about safety, namely getting my toes chewed up by the chain and sprocket, Luckily I have an off cut from an exhaust that I'd fitted to one of my race bikes. So I will run the header up to the graphics card (funky backplate to be designed) and the heat shield for the small piece of off cut will be a dummy exhaust and also double up as a chain guard.

[​IMG]

So on with the update, yes it's quite a biggy

Now I have to think about fitting the batteries, I made a template so I could mock up the position and also use to mark out on my new found material.

[​IMG]

Slightly over sized, to allow for a bigger battery to be fitted and some insulating material to stop it rattling around.

[​IMG]

The position of the first battery on the rear of the frame

[​IMG]

This will be hidden under the speed hump on the back of the seat unit

[​IMG]

Ohh nearly forgot, I have a new seat unit, the paint finish isn't so good but it's very unlikely that it will stay this colour, as I plan to do a full race livery. Colour undecided it depends if any sponsors come forward.It would be great to have a nice ASUS or Mayhems livery, If not (the most likely scenario) Then it will be a Cal Crutchlow Replica (fave MotoGp rider)

[​IMG]

Ok now for transferring to the steel from the old pc

[​IMG]

and cutting out

[​IMG]

So after bending, the tray fits onto the rear of the frame like so

[​IMG]

and with the battery fitted

[​IMG]

I run out of cutting disks so the second battery position is where the template is, that'll be done when I get more disks.

[​IMG]

I have also been thinking about cable management, any loose cables is going to be bad news. I don't want them getting caught in the chain or wheels. I'm not going to win any MotoGp races if the bike don't run properly.
    The idea is to use aluminium blocks with channels slotted into them and an acrylic cover over the top. I can bolt these all over the frame an keep those cables neat and safe.

[​IMG]

Ok to finish off here's a couple of pics of the rear end of the bike, the ends of the frame under the battery tray are screaming for a set of exhaust tail pieces.

[​IMG]

The tail unit has some beautiful lines, I'm liking how it follows the rear of the frame

[​IMG]

That's all for now :cooldude:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2013
  11. elAwesome

elAwesome What's a Dremel?

Awesome job with hiding all the stuff!
    Keeps getting better with every update :)

12. Azariel

Azariel Minimodder

Ooo...really like the 'comb' idea! I've been thinking about a good way to do wire management for my Arc for some time and quite a few 24 pin solutions just looked a bit messy...

Might steal this idea from you :)

13. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks man, The batteries have been a bit of a challenge to hide, but I'm getting there

No worries, I've been looking at a lot of project logs lately and comparing cable management, there's a lot of good work out there, but I'm looking for something more convenient and easy to use.... check out Furball Zens Carbide log, there's some good ideas that he's got going on there.

14. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I predict a MOTM nomination :D, really good so far!

15. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Loving this idea. Itching to see how it turns out.

16. Asouter

Asouter --------

It's a lil to early yet, but hopefully ....

Cheers man, nice to see you watching

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Coming along awesomely. :dremel::rock:

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

Thanks Wayne :thumb:

19. Asouter

Asouter --------

UPDATE 28/04/13

A small update, I redesigned the res for the tank and realised that I'd need some help to achieve what I had in mind, I contacted Phame (of Golden Pi fame) and he kindly agreed to lend a hand, This is the sketch that I gave Phame, yeah I know not a lot to go on but he's been given free reign and so I'm looking forward to see what he comes up with.

[​IMG]

I also asked Phame to follow the contours of the inside of the tank, so I sent him a block of acrylic and sliced off the top of the scrap tank that I'd been using for mock up. He has sent through some pics of the mapping of the inside of the tank. (It all looks like witch craft to me)

[​IMG]

and finaly some pics of the computer surface model (again I haven't a scooby about it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top of the res will petrude out of the tank in the form of the Mayhems logo and will be back lit with LED's. Phame will keep a small log of the machining, and I'll look forward to posting the result

A BIG THANKS goes out to Phame :clap::clap::clap:

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That measuring thingamajig for the contours is pretty awesome & expect the result of using such a method will make the res amazing. :D

Crazy cloning device lol. :D

Nice that Phame is helping out. :)