1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini-Project: Bench PSU *Update Mar 5th*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mattthegamer463, 1 Feb 2007.

1. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

(careful about shorts) u got that one right, i dont know if u have seen the hdd holder i did for my project, however i was going to change the power to the fan cooling the hdd ,going from 12v to 5 v so i thought i thast swap the cable from yelow to red and i also moved the black to black cable next to the red .Boy was i wrong when i plug it in to test it ,first nothing happens the fan dident move, then smoke and the cables started to melt, at that time i trowed my self towards the pc cord and unpluged the pc lol.

luckely nothing broke exept the fan of corse, i stil dont know what i did wrong. :confused:

2. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I am so doing this...

3. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I'm talking about if you accidently hooked up an LED wrong and it shorted across the holes, then it could mess up your power supply.

4. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

Yeah i got that , i just came to think of that incident when u wrote abaout shorts .
    are u going to do the box for the led tester/how? or will u by a predone box and modify?.

5. mattthegamer463

No prob, interesting story.

I'm going to buy a small project box, if I can find one thats the right size for my purposes. I'm then going to solder different resistors to a PC board, and have them all hooked to the 12V or 5V pins of a molex connector. Then the resistors will be connected to some sort of LED sockets, basically metal holes that the LED legs go into. I'm not sure if I can find something that will work for me or if I will have to make something. Ill make a schematic once I have a more clear picture in my head.

6. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Why not use some standard 2 pin lead connectors... like the kind you use to connect LED's to your motherboard?

7. mattthegamer463

I thought about that, and I may add a set of those, but I'm not really sure what resistor to put on them, so I was kind of against it. Perhaps just one of those connectors to the 2.1V 10mA one will suffice.