1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress MiniMe - Smallest (ever?) Watercooled mITX PC - 22/03/2010 COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by oliverw92, 27 Aug 2009.

1. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info on the flexi riser, i have considered these, but in all honesty i cant think of a better place to put it within the constraints of my box.

I have nearly finished my new sketchup model, so an update will come soon! The tubing on this thing is going to be immense...

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The riser-cards actually don't help that much asura. Either you need to put the GFX-card above your CPU or underneath the motherboard.

There's a reason, why the GFX-cards have their socket and their "to-be-cooled" parts on the side of the PCB that faces away from the CPU-socket.

It's a thermic issue.

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

depending on your electrical knowledge - build your own psu?

4. oliverw92

Nah it's fine iv fitted that seasonic 1u psu into the model! I am just trying to do some tubing in sketchup. Talk about dam hard to route...

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Take a breath and look around. We have a tubing tutorial for sketckup here on B-T. Modding? Take a quick look around.

john

6. oliverw92

Yeh im following that tutorial. Working well. It just takes a while to get the tubing right. Moving paths once they have been made is annoying.

7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Never done any PC graphics of any kind. I just figure out what I think I want and try about XX times to get it right. I sketch with lab notebook and Kodak digital camera method.:D

I watch

8. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I'll be watching too, I would love to get a gaming rig set up at this size. LANs would be easy as hell.

9. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

10. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Perhaps my maths are wrong but I thought 12v x 12 amps = 144 watts max and 12v x 13.5 amps = 162 watts peak. I was under the impression this was the correct way to calculate watts. Please tell me if no, my understanding of the principles of electricity is limited. I am assuming that the 12v represents a lion's share of the power draw.

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'm not a huge fan of SFF cases but this case might be changing my mind

12. oliverw92

I hope i have the ability to do that The_Beast!

Morning guys, gonna finish the tubing today then you can all have a peak at my sketchup model.

13. oliverw92

Update #6 - 30/08/09

The final sketchup model is finished! I spent ages on this. It is EXACTLY how it will be, everything is perfectly to scale. By doing it like this i have actually solved loads of problems i would have come across later when i had got items laser cut etc.

[​IMG]

Front

[​IMG]

Right side

[​IMG]

Top with 120mm rad and fillport

[​IMG]

Without the outer shell and cubes

[​IMG]

Back view without shell

[​IMG]

Back

[​IMG]

Left hand side with GPU. Will actually be nVidia but never mind...

[​IMG]

Profile shot of the right hand side.

[​IMG]

The loop! Yes i am now cooling the 9300 chipset. One of the problems i discovered by doing the accurate sketchup is that the apogee drive would hit the heatsink on the chipset. So duniek at OCN is making be a custom block that looks very similar to the one above (i.e. barb positioning is the same). Yes there is some VERY tight tubing to be done. But hey! I'm up for a challenge!

[​IMG]

The back of the loop. 45 degree fittings will save this project! Most of the models in the sketchup are downloaded, however i made the apogee drive and several other parts. It is precisely to scale from the swiftech site. Very pleased with it!

[​IMG]

Bottom compartment. The cd drive rests on an acrylic plate that is glued to the HDD bay. There is a 60mm fan at the back blowing across the hdds. This will be mounted to the base using a bracket, rather than mounted to the grill.

[​IMG]

HDD Bay

[​IMG]

Empty shell. The whole thign is held together with 10mm acrylic cubes. There will be purple LEDs mounted in them which will shine out of the corners displayed by the rounded corners of the aluminium frame.

[​IMG]

Moneyshot

So what do you think guys? I managed to get the 250W psu in, which i am very pleased about. I need to order things like the PSU, switch, CD drive and hdd before i can start milling out the aluminium.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Looks pretty dam good.

I MIGHT try to add some sort of plate for the power switch though, and have an USB connector or two in there. (I know how small that is, so it isn't really a project to go around and stick the thumb drive to the rear usbs, but what can I say, I'm just that lazy)

oliverw92 likes this.
  15. oliverw92

I was considering this. Does anyone know of any small front I/O plates you can buy?

16. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Have a look here: http://www.frontx.com/order1.html

Looks great! That tubing must have taken ages. Make sure that you build so it can be taken apart easily if you need to change something. Also have a look at Mashie's anemone mod, particularly how he did his sandwich construction.

oliverw92 likes this.
  17. oliverw92

No way! Thanks for that! You have found me my eSata backplate too! I was going to have to buy a pci backplate esata thing and mod it, but now i can buy one of those! If this forum had reputation thingy you would be getting epic amounts of it...

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Have you thought about a half-height gfx card?

19. oliverw92

There are no half height graphics cards that have the same amount of power and are still powerful. And even if i got a half height one, i would still have to have the case this size. I mean look at it... it isn't roomy :p Thanks for the input though.

20. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Brilliant, can't wait to see this being built! Looking good man!