1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Minimum power required to run Vista Aero smoothly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Renoir, 14 Aug 2006.

1. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

I'm interested to know what the minimum amount of graphics power needed to run aero smoothly on a 1650x1080 monitor is. I don't play any games and am curious what the cheapest and lowest power gpu is that would accomplish the above. Without the final release of vista it's obviously difficult to be sure but wandered whether people had any ideas and perhaps have some practical experience running beta 2 on lower end graphics hardware (I realise this isn't a very optimised version of vista but would give a baseline reference point)?

I realise microsoft have released the minimum specs for aero but I imagine it's like most minimum specs in that it'll work but not very well.

A lot of integrated gpu's are now being touted as being vista premium capable but how well are they likely to work in practice?

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Hi,
    I have been using Vista on a Laptop, using an ATI Xpress 200 Chip, and it ran fine, however as far as i know Areo Will use so much GPU power its unbeleivable, hence all these new GPU's being released, with AMD at the helm of ATI and there range of X1900 series and Nvidia and there 7900series these cards are optimised for Vista, when you browse a site like www.overclockers.co.uk or www.novatech.com they point out that the card is optimised for Vista, ok yea, Areo looks very nice, but to some extent it has gone away from the OS's purpose, i heard alot about Vista and how good and bad it was going to be, examples, how quick it boots as it does not rele turn off, but hibernate as such, and if you play games Vista cuts kills it self to give more CPU and GPU Power to the Game. Vista is designed to run with out Areo which would allow those with on-Board graphics, however to get the most out of it, you will need to spend a bit of money, AMD/ATI X1600 would be fine as well as Nvidia 7300. But, i dont think its really worth the time buying a new Card now, as we are still in the DX9 time, and DX10 will be out for Vista. If anything i would wait till Microsoft announce the full Specs for Vista, and wait for DX10 cards, but the near enough confirmed specs are RAM=1GB Min and HDD=15gb, This is for Windows Vista Ultimate with Areo installed.

Sam

3. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply Sam.

I take it you have been using vista without aero on the xpress 200?

As for the being "vista optimised" phrase that's pure marketing IMHO. They are no better optimised than lower end cards except in so far as being more powerful. There's nothing specifically in the architecture that makes them better for vista.

I'm not looking to buy a card now just interested in what aero will require for when I do buy one. Not sure what benefit DX10 cards would have for me given that 1) I don't play games and 2) The aero desktop compositing engine is strictly DX9 and would only become DX10 by the next release after vista at the earliest(Vienna I believe it's codename is).

One possibility that I'll ask about in a seperate thread is that a DX10 card might have unified shaders (I say might as Nvidia's first DX10 card will not have unified shaders) in which case if the compositing engine is pixel shader heavy then perhaps being able to dedicate all the shaders to pixel shading would be an advantage over an equivalent DX9 card.

E.g. a low end DX9 card has 4 pixel shaders and 2 vertex shaders whilst the low end DX10 card has 6 unified shaders which would mean that if aero mainly requires pixel shading (I have zero clue about what sort of shading is used in aero) then the DX10 card would have 50% more pixel shaders (6 vs 4)

Tags: