News Mininova trialling Torrent video streaming

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Mar 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S Well-Known Member

2. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Won't this destroy seeding? As once you've finished watching it you'll stop seeding.

3. p3n

p3n New Member

if the streaming iplayer went p2p it would lose me as a user since i mainly use it from work where we dont allow such activities :p

4. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish New Member

Image where we'd be if the MPAA / RIAA decided to embrace technology this way instead of trying to brutally beat it into submission at every turn :duh:

5. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Member

Well they would have the "master" servers which will be the main seeders i guess. Just the people watching it will also be helping seeding while they watch. It wont eliminate the BW costs, but it will cut them down drastically.

I live the iPlayer stream, I was stuck at work the other saturday waiting for automated backups and other month end stuff to finish, so I watched Ashes to Ashes, its nice getting paid to watch BBC programs :p and I dont even have a TV at home or a TV licence :eek:

6. Impossible

Impossible New Member

If the content was over 30 mins, then I guess this would cause selfish people unknowningly to seed more!

7. fargo

fargo New Member

personally I don't torrent anymore the benifit does't outway the risk, I rent movies for $1.00 and burn
    copies for me but I hope this works out and the MPAA gets it stuck up their dark hole

8. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

if you watch anime renting is by no means an option. it wouldn't even be available, and even if it was, it wouldn't be subbed. I rather normal torrenting to streamed.

9. completemadness

completemadness New Member

why cant we just get multicast implemented on the web

I mean, that's basically what this is trying to be (if im reading correctly), except there are already standards in place

10. willyolio

willyolio New Member

i guess, unless the movies are of low enough quality that download speeds >> playback speeds.

11. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Tags: Add Tags