1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Minority Report-style display

Discussion in 'General' started by johnmustrule, 30 Nov 2008.

1. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

It's hard to imagine forfeiting my keybord to any other interface, but I'd prefer this over the mouse any day. It would certainly make 3DSmax a better exsperiance. That being said I think this tech could be scaled down to a personal size but the colaborative oportunities seem really large too, it'll be interesting to see who invests in this now that they are "done" with initial development.

:) Glad to help, personally I belive the interface is the best way to improve modern computing. I"m pretty exsitedabout cloud computing too. I suppose you've seen the vids of people controlling computers with their mind? That tech really excites me, an interface that works as fast as you can think.

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I dont want an interface that reads my mind. Imagine the embarrassment of what might pop up on screen when my hot flatmate walks into the room! :O

3. sagittary

sagittary What's a Dremel?

I think it's one of those things that's slightly ahead of it's time - it's certainly useable but it may not have anything to be used with just yet. And, for the most part, the demo video on the web page basically is just a bunch of tech demos with very little if any consideration on actual regular day useage. That said...

It has the same benefits as multi-touch displays. Rather than trying to replace pointing and clicking (or essentially some equivalent there of ), it can add vocabulary to what we can do with the same basic UI. It can simplify and make complex actions more intuitive or simply quicker to perform or broaden what sort of commands we can directly call upon and shorten the need for a multitude of shortcuts.

On a broader scale, it can, potentially, be used more as a interface -between- programs and devices rather than for a singular device which can usually benefit from a more specific interface (this is why a mouse works so well - it's generic enough that it can fit most anything) or as an interface that's used in tandem with other technologies.

A good example would be the sort of things Tony Stark does in Ironman - broad actions like transferring files from system to system or gesturing to his robots to indicate particular actions (or lack there of). Imagine not zooming photos (which is a waste of the interface idea and arm strength) but being able to have your systems recognize that you're picking up a bunch of files from your desktop monitor and then recognize that when you 'drop' the files into your iPod on your physical desk, that you want to transfer files - that sort of gesture recognition would be far better than anything current.

4. Lilliput King

Lilliput King What's a Dremel?

Instead of poo-pooing the idea from your own perspective, envisage situations where this would be useful.

Schools, universities, whatever.

This isn't the kind of tech you'd be using at home, but then again, most people don't use projectors at home either. Just because you personally won't be using it, doesn't mean its not useful.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I did FPS on a projector in a darkened room for a week when my mum stole one from her school, actually. And it's AWESOME :D

edit- in 15-second retrospect, that's not a very constructive contribution, but still, I recommend horror FPS on a projector. Just...for the record.