1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mirror's Edge PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jan 2009.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Still reminds me of Breakdown on the original XBOX, going to have to get my hands on this :) Put that ASUS PhysX Card finally to some real use.

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 New Member

Exactly. I gave my 8800GTS-640Mb to a friend in exchange for his 8800-320Mb so he could play games better, especially when i'm round there... ;-)

I have a x16 slot free on my Maximus Formula.
    I'd have to move the SB Audigy PCI card up to the slot above the first PCIe x16 slot, and I had trouble with it being up there. Not sure if that slot isn't shared with something else...or if slot sharing even exists anymore, but it wouldn't work properly when i built the system last year...been some bios updates since, will be worth a try this weekend...
    Then i'll be able to slot the 8800 just under the PCIe x1 intel GigE NIC...

Its worth a try, its about time I reinstalled Windows anyway, so if it goes funny, then I don't mind.
    I'll have a pop at it saturday.

My rig, for any interested:
    Quad intel 9450@3.52Ghz
    2Gb Dominator DDR2
    ThermalRight SI-128SE cooling+ancient Papst fan from a 386 server psu.
    4870 1Gb@829/3600 (50% fan)
    Maximus Formula with 2x4cm fans on the large NB.
    Antec 900 case, fans on medium, top on full

3. Mentai

Mentai New Member

So I was going to buy this today off steam but it is unavailable in my region (NZ). I hate it when online releases are region specific, I don't see the point. It's a feature steam could do without.

4. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Trying not to be urban

"...make you clench your buttocks harder than a baby tasting its first lemon."

"...how many poodles can you see and how many birds have they caught?"

On fire Joe! Keep up the good work :eek:)

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Well-Known Member

The game is far better than I initially thought.

6. Lilliput King

Lilliput King New Member

Not in my region, apparently :(

(UK)

7. Lilliput King

Lilliput King New Member

Don't worry so, Joe. Even his linking seems to make no sense.

From the article he linked to:
    "An action-adventure game is a video game that combines elements of the adventure game genre with various action game elements."

Then from the "adventure game" wikipedia entry:
    "An adventure game is a type of video game characterized by investigation, exploration, puzzle-solving, interaction with game characters, and a focus on narrative rather than reflex-based challenges."

Doesn't really sound much like Mirror's Edge.

8. bahgger

bahgger New Member

Although I agree, it isn't a feature that Steam implements, but rather part of the contract they have with the developers/publishers. Consider it as Steam offering them different regions of its logistics network for products to be shipped, and as developers and publishers choosing which regions they want to sell their games in. Therefore, it isn't the fault of Steam, but rather the sales strategy of the publisher.

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 New Member

So I came home early today, and gave it a go.
    the 8800GTS is in the bottom x16 slot and the 4870 in the top slot.
    I can enable GPU PhysX, but cannot use it unless an Nvidia card is Primary display.
    If I disable the extended desktop on the Nvidia card (Ati is primary display) then the PhysX will not even see it...

Lets hope I can get F@H to work on it as well as the 4870...

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 New Member

Oh well.
    You have to have the primary desktop on Nvidia Hardware to run any PhysX program.
    You also have todisplay the i;age on that card, since it wont display on a second ati card.

I can place the Nvidia water tech demo in split between the two screens, and the nv side is ok, the Ati side is without any water flow....realtime !!! lol
    The only problem was, with having only one screen, when i tried to put the monitor onto the Nv card to see the magic, none of the outputs where working...?

Nv needs to update their drivers to allow a single GeForce card to be PhysX dedicated, without having to have a Nvidia primary display card.
    Otherwise, PhysX has no future.

11. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

lol...

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Tried to play it, got fed up with the fighting - quick event ******** and helicopters. Might be a very nice game, but as of now my nerves have just totally had it. When in a game there are parts that can't be played through on the first try, I most likely will not like it.

13. 003

003 New Member

In theory, it should be possible. However, as a result of the Protected Media Path DRM that is built in to Windows Vista (and probably Windows 7 as well), you can not use more than one active video driver, which precludes the use of an ATI video card and an nvidia video card dedicated to PhysX.

It should be possible in Windows XP, as you can have more than one active video driver. However, I am wagering that for continuity reasons, it would not work in Windows XP, either.

You can thank Microsoft's hand for this, with their fascist DRM schemes that just interfere with flexibility for the end user.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 New Member

Yeah. I'm running XP, and I have managed to get F@H to run on the second gpu, its just fails just before starting the Work Unit...
    I hope this will get sorted out some day....

15. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

just played the game, it's fantastic, the feel of running on rooftops are simply amazing!

and people said PhysX was useless! it adds to the atmosphere so much, without it, it feels like a dead lifeless game. but with it, it makes the whole experience so much richer, it actually feels like you are being shot at.

16. Hovis

Hovis New Member

I think it's a shame that the game has been so massively underrated, probably due to the console version having inherently lethargic controls which are not suited to the game, so I'm pleased to see a good review of it. The only real weakness of it that I could think of is the story, which kind of feels a little weak compared to the rest of the game that is frankly stunning. I think the combat gets a bit of a raw deal though, there's nothing particularly wrong with it, it's just hard. If you ever really get the hang of it not only is it fairly easy but it doesn't interrupt the flow and it looks great. Wall running, jumping, kicking some dirty plod in the chops, then having his gun away and clubbing him with it is great fun, and you can do all that in seconds. The problem I think is that the learning curve for combat is a little steeper than the learning curve for the movement, so for me by the time I'd cracked the combat there was nobody left to kill.

As for the shortness of the game I think partly this comes from how they've misjudged the pacing on the story, there could have easily been another hour or so before the plot really kicks off. I don't begrudge the game too much for being over in about six hours though because I would far rather have a game that lasts six or seven hours (maybe even a shade less if there's good MP and other elements) with a good, tightly written narrative than a game that lasts twelve hours and is just padding. There's an art to writing stories for games, a new art at that, and it's taking folks time to get the hang of it, but I think Mirror's Edge putting plot before padding is a step in the right direction.

17. Darkefire

Darkefire Member

Fun game so far. I'm only a few levels in, but I like the feel of it and the pacing. This blows Assassin's creed out of the water as a parkour game, you actually feel like you're flying across the rooftops. Controls are nice and simple (up, down, or around) and combat isn't as bad as I'd heard. I can see why this did poorly on consoles; having a keyboard and mouse is really necessary in a first-person game, especially one this fast-paced.

What I'm not liking is the fact that I'm basically being shot at constantly. It does move the flow of the game along (which I'm sure was the intended effect) but having to restart a section for the fifth time because you're not entirely sure how to get past a part and don't have time to look around gets annoying in a hurry. I don't care how dystopian that future is, they can't possibly justify putting several dozen police officers and an assault helicopter on a single unarmed person for long periods of time. When the helicopter actually follows you into the storm drain pit, you know they're trying too hard (that kind of stuff should be reserved for Gordon Freeman).

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

So, basically, you pirated it? Great.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

^^^ seriously and there is plenty of replay value, like you could turn off runner vision, look for all the runner bags and change the difficulty level, also you could try different routes, I bought this game and in two days beat it, thats not to say it had a lot of play time it did. I got sucked in and couldnt stop. Such an amazing game so I say if you did pirate it then you should still go buy it because this is a game that deserves support so we can see a second one come out.