1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Missing case part, would it matter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 24 Feb 2018.

?

What is the best option?

1. It don't matter that 1 is missing

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Buy one from eBay (help me on the size)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Just go and look for it (ok then if you think so)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I'm re-building my gaming rig and its a fairly long process but I'm about to test fit most of the components and just moved my motherboard standoffs around and realized I'm missing 1.

I'm a perfectionist, but I also live in a rather large house, and the hassle of going to the attic to find something as small as a motherboard standoff is not really enticing.

Question A:

Would it matter that I miss 1 standoff?
    The board is horizontal in my case, so all pressure is from the top and down.
    Its the one there is a ring around I'm missing.

[​IMG]

Question B:

If I was to buy a few new stand offs on eBay, what size do I need?
    It looks like its a M2 thread but I'm really not sure, the case itself is a Lian Li PC-V33.

Option C:

I just pull my self together and go to the tomorrow attic and look in a ton of boxes for something almost the size of a needle (in a haystack)....

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm sure someone here could provide a standoff but I don't understand the difficulty of popping into the loft to look for one. I mean I doubt it's floating around on its own but in a case box or something.

In any case it wouldn't actually make much difference if it was missing.

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

The problem is first of all getting in to the attic is a little difficult then if I'm up there I currently have 7 desktop systems running around the house and sometimes consolidate their accessories so I don't really know where what is... Might rethink that strategy beyond this point....

I guess that my choice of board, the asus x code, with full amour makes it stiff enough till a point were it dont matter so much, just want to be sure what others think before i decide.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just have to exercise a little more self control in regards to the amount of force being applied when inserting expansion cards, other than that it won't make any difference.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

One missing there wouldn't be a problem I reckon, TBH if I were to not have one that is the one I would choose not to have.

May be worth hitting Lian Li with a quick email, they'd be able to tell you the type (I think length is the major thing) and/or even send you one (i've found some companies really helpful with that sort of thing).

6. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

yes I looked at them and thought, if i should leave one out then this one looks like the one with least worries.

7. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I consider it solved, thanks for the replies