1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mithril (9/2/09, I'm not as daft as I thought...)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KayinBlack, 3 Jan 2008.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well, it does appear to be my WC, and I had to do so much rigging to get it to fit (there is no out-of-the-box solution for this board) that I think that did it.

I'm currently looking at my repair options, and I do have a Q6600 G0 here to sell, so I have more hope than last night.
    I'm wanting to start a petition for standardized mounting holes. I had to try ridiculous things to get this to "work." I shouldn't need to do so. Quit making the mounting area the size of a quarter.

I'm gonna look at an option on these boards, as well.

I do feel better than I did last night. Everything else so far checks out.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

This all happened because you said 'Blame Cheaps.' Did you really think I didn't have the power to send bad juju your way?

-Nah, I'm full of sh*t. :hehe: I hope it's just the board.

3. KayinBlack

It's still your fault.

*holds up horseshoe*

4. Ola.l

Ola.l What's a Dremel?

Bro, if you try to end this shizzle without completing it fo nizzle it would be a total brolocaust :(!

5. KayinBlack

Bro, there's no way that would happen.

I have said Q6600 pending sale. Also, I've put in a bid on Top Nurse's Gigabyte board, as it'll unlock my 720 easier-I'm hoping to get the money hit my paypal and send it right bck out again. Worst case scenario I might have to transfer it to me and back out when he pays me, but that's a bridge I'll hack at when I get there.

New board will be air cooled. There are no real WC kits for new AMD boards except for the Anfi-Tec stuff, and I don't see a sponsorship from those guys, no matter how much I compliment them. May have some chipset blocks up for sale soon then, but that's to be seen. Suffice to say that this has been an ordeal, and I want to play some games.

6. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Looks like a Gigabyte board is coming your way soon. :D

7. RedRaider

RedRaider The RealRedRaider

Any updates Kayin?

Have you received your NEW motherboard from TopNurse?

8. KayinBlack

Nobody bought the Q6600, so it fell through.

Anyway, I tracked down the problem definitively. I had a slow leak out of my NB block, which wet my PWM area. NP, I said, I'll hair dryer it, leave it for a week.

I left it for two.

Turns out there's STILL water there, and the PWM is shot. The MSI board doesn't do subzero for that reason, as well. You just really can't insulate the DrMOS area right. Awesome volt control on air/water (leave that sink alone, mind you) but it can't be insulated right on phase/LN2. Well, my drip simulated LN2. Same 2A code as they get, even an oven won't fix it.

So I did kill it, but at least it wasn't with clumsy-it was with something that is unique to this digital PWM on this board. I feel much better, even if I'm only halfway to able to afford the replacement.

Also, in talks with Gigabyte for a board, as well. If Gigabyte does send me a board, I'll probably use the MSI I'm ordering for Batman: Year One (oh s***, I said it...)

9. KayinBlack

**** it all, I fixed it!!!

Was a VGA issue, so I'm gonna rip out and redo VGA, in the meantime, a 3850 has it booting 100%!!!

10. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Lol, good news Kayin! Good thing you persisted!

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yay! ...wait... Yes, Yay!

12. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

ahh, relief man. I've been reading your log for awhile and was worried there for awhile! Really glad your back on track!

really looking forward to seeing more progress :D

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

Man, dont know whats worse a duff board or GPU! Computers can be right c**ts at times and make people take a serious look at console gaming only to suddenly remember console gaming has its headaches now! red ring o death being one.

14. KayinBlack

GPUs will be going back to air as soon as I find the parts to do so, and these blocks are going away. They bow the cards amazingly, so far I'm afraid I might not have a pair of 4870x2s any more.

Sucks hardcore, but I'd rather have air and reliability than water and dead cards. For what I paid for these blocks, you'd think they'd have standoffs. Koolance Cheesecake.

15. KayinBlack

16. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

man your still playin GW? I cant find anything to do anymore ... but GW2 is soon and I cant wait :)

17. KayinBlack

Titles, and taking my kids through the missions.

Did you see the memory amount and it's still playing nice?

[​IMG]

dunno if this resized right, but this is a 1000 point improvement over my last score.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2009
  18. KayinBlack

Checking in today to say that HD4870x2 1 of 2 is now fully functional again. I had a friend check her over with x-ray. Had asscess to wave soldering if we needed it, but it turns out they're gonna be OK. Need to find my other stock heatsink and fix #2, and we'll be good.

I'm making the choice to take them back to air. Those blocks do not work right, and it's a lot of money for new ones that do. Money that I'm choosing to spend on a few other things-getting a phone, paying bills, and buying my children things they want for Christmas. I'm going to button this one up, and finalize paint and all-and recycle those top rads into the CPU cooling loop.

Nothing really wasted there but the blocks, pumps I'll scavenge, barbs I'll scavenge, the cards will live and I'll play games to my heart's content.

This weekend I'll rerun the hoses for the CPU, refill it and bleed it, and mount both side panels. Expect pics of the final product.