1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Mixer/AMP combo advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marlowdrummer, 24 Mar 2016.

1. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Hi folks,
    out of my depth with this one. (like most things...)

Looking for a mixer + amp combo for a e-drum project I'm trying to get going.

I currently have a cheap Alesis DM5Pro kit with the DM5 module. This runs only 16 polyphony. So I am looking to add in my DM4 and my Roland TD6 to do different things, cymbals/effects/midi duties and not clip off sounds. If the DM4 and DM5 play nicely I can chain them to get 32 note polyphony, but I doubt that is going to work.

What I am looking for, I need a 4 channel in (stereo, one for each module and a click track/audio) mixer of some sort. Preferably with a built in amp to drive some headphones and sometimes a pair of Mordaunt Short speakers.

Any ideas? Not looking for a PA mixer/amp which seems to be what my e-bay searches throw up.

Any help would be gratefully received.
    Many thanks
    Scott

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

marlowdrummer likes this.
  3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Pretty much what he said!

Simple amp connected to the mixer will do nicely. However - you mention stereo ins - do you need stereo from the drum modules? If you do, you'll want an 8-channel mixer (like the one saspro linked) andf if not, a 4-channel mixer will do nicely and be a bit cheaper.

marlowdrummer likes this.
  4. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Cheers guys.

The Mackie one looks like just the type of beastie I am after. Cheers Saspro.

As for stereo in jinq-sea, yep, the modules are stereo outs. So you can pan either an individual drum left/right or tweak a full kit to give the 'running round the kit' sound. Cheers to you also for the advice.

Many thanks
    Scott

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

For the polyphony issue you've got the option of running the cymbals from the DM4 & the drums from the DM5.
    Should give you a bit more breathing space without things cutting off.
    For gigs then you just turn up with your mixer and give the engineer a stereo feed out

6. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Hah, that was the plan, plus use the TD6 for effects/midi.
    Sadly not gigging any more - too damn old! Been there, done that. Managed the band, rehearsals, gigs and a full time job. Needed time for beer!
    This is just so I can play at home without annoying the neighbours. I have 2 full size kits and a set of Arbiter flats. But I like where I live so they are off limits for the foreseeable.

Cheers again laddie.

Many thanks
    Scott

7. Beladove

Beladove What's a Dremel?

Yes, that seem to be the best option for you. Best Suggestion saspro!