1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Mixing RAM, same brand, different FSB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DoctorBeat, 6 Aug 2012.

1. DoctorBeat

DoctorBeat What's a Dremel?

Hi folks, one of my trusty (or not) memory modules, have been failing and after running memtest, it gave a load of errors... so, now that i know what is the problem, i went on a quest to find the match for my old memory kit...

4X2GB OCZ DDR2 Titanium series (800mhz 4-4-415) R/N: OCZ2T800C44K
    ---one of those modules is faulty and the closest match i have seem online (i cant find new) is a module from the OCZ platinum series OCZ2P10662G (1066mhz 5-5-5-18)

Will this module be able to replace the faulty one and still operate in dual channel?
    BTW, the system is a q6600 o'ced to 3.4ghz 9*377mhz (the memory is oprating at 754mhz)

Thanks in advance

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

the timings need to be the same other wise you can run into problems.

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. DoctorBeat

if i set the timing manually on the bios, will that work?

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It can do. you could loosening the timings or tightening then. But it's still not 100% going to work especially as the speed are different, but when that happens the faster stuff will slow down to match the slower stuff. Basically with the RAM you are looking at being so different, it a gamble that could work.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

In sum: Motherboard these days are forgiving, but not much. Basically, it will try to to match the timing with the slowest one. If your RAM can't handle, well the system won't POST, or you'll have stability problem (freeze and/or BSOD's)

It is strongly recommended to have matching timing and speed.

6. DoctorBeat

DAMN IT.... the wort part is i can't find a used module with the same specs at a good price... do you think if i contact OCZ they will sell me a module, since they are discontinued and i cant find them on online shops?

7. Deders

Deders Modder

It's very possible they are the same chips and the 800MHz stick would work at 1066MHz with 5-5-5-18 timings, and luckily for you vice versa.

They will have Jdec settings for various speeds so it is likely they will work, although you may have to fiddle with the timings a little if they don't.

8. DoctorBeat

thanks deders, i thought of that, glad to hear that someone thinks like me...
    Here is what i'm going to do... i'll grab a corsair stick from my pc at work and see if i can match the timings and fsb... if it works...with diferent brands... there is a good chance that it will work with the ocz 1066... let's see... tomorrow i'll post the result

9. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

+1

In the worst case, you could run them all at 800MHz 5-5-5-18. You're unlikely to see any kind of performance difference.

10. DoctorBeat

Hurray it works... since i was not on the mood to fuss with the bios settings, i ended up with the default 800Mhz FSB and loosen the timings on all the modules to 5-5-5-18 @ 2.0 volts

Problem solved

Thanks guys