1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mk.6 EMP -Experimental Modular Project-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 20 Jun 2005.

1. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

woa! nice, lol i see this is finaly becoming reality, i loved it when i first saw the thread a while back
    lol hook us up with those configs man! XD

2. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

3. Captain Slug

4. customh

customh conflagration.

And now start building the case and quit teasing

5. fingers

fingers What's a Dremel?

This mod looks to be very interesting, a whole lot of ideas to mull over, but one in particular that appeals being a bit of a quiet freak is the ducting and the use of a single powerful fan. Could you tell me, where is that blower from?

Cheers

6. Captain Slug

I was sent the wrong model of power supply but other than that I have everything I need to get started once I finish a testing platform.
    A gas water heater. :D
    Enamel coatings are extremely durable. I only have to disassemble and clean the blower for comforts sake and then remove the cleaning pitot which was adding a whistle noise. At full blast the fan is similar to sticking your head out of a car window at 60mph and about as loud but there's no motor noise. I will be using a sweet push-button AC fan speed controller with it.

7. fingers

fingers What's a Dremel?

That sounds awesome! I shall be watching this project with great interest. Thanks

8. Captain Slug

And speaking of nuts here's the result of a stressful day of very intricate tinkering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't want to go into too much detail because I would never in a million years recommend or try to outline how I did what I did but the hard part is done. I just need to finish the new frame and potentially find a shorter bulb.

9. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

Wow, the con is going to be very impressive...respect ist the only word I can say to that work :D

You mentioned 'samurize'. I hope the question is allowed:
    I've seen someone using somethink like that for displaying his cpu-speed, fan-speed, temperatures etc but the colors were held as they are in D3 yellow an blue... I think.
    Is it only for displaying speeds, voltages etc or is ist a surface for controling the PC via touchscreen? Have you got furter information?

Greets, Claas

10. Captain Slug

The UV LCD wasn't working out the way I wanted to so I went back to the white backlight. Slow day thanks to yet ANOTHeR cold front making it hard for me to move.
    You can make any of the meters or other elements respond to mouse inputs and then assign them to controlling or activating applications.

11. timothyw9

timothyw9 Banned

Wow- The case looks a bit like the £800 Zalman case

12. Captain Slug

My design isn't doing so well in the contest. Appearantly my renders aren't shiny enough. :\

In the next week or so I'm going to bench-test hardware, build a heat-warping table, and work on etching the PCB.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2006
  13. Captain Slug

I just placed a $380 dollar order through McMaster and later today I'll be placing a $140 order through Mouser. I'm going to be very busy over Spring Break because the case is now underway. I'm not sure what will get done first but I'd like to get the vacuum-forming table made while I wait for materials to arrive.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2006
  14. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

This is getting exciting, I love both your projects and am glad you'll be updating this soon :-D.

15. Captain Slug

Ow
    [​IMG]
    My foot found a 2-inch long glass shard (went in about an 8th of an inch) while I was installing an air conditioner. I bled all over the kitchen and had to keep my foot in the air for 2 hours to stop the bleeding. I was supposed to go to the machine shop today... :(

The vacuum-foming table work starts tomorrow.

16. gebrek

gebrek What's a Dremel?

Does that count as your "foot-in-the-picture" shot?

17. Captain Slug

3 MASSIVE packages full of materials (2 of which are 6-foot tubes) for the case arrived from mcmaster on friday.
    Today I'm testing all the hardware to make sure everything works. This is a step I skipped when making Mk.V and it lead to alot of confusion and frustration. So this time around I'm going to eliminate any potential for errant finger-pointing. If something goes wrong after I modify a part I'll be able to tell whether or not it was my fault and make it easier to identify what isn't working.
    [​IMG]
    My foot still hurts...
    :hehe: :rolleyes:

Last edited: 12 Mar 2006
  18. customh

customh conflagration.

Sweet lookin :thumb: , whats the mobo there?

19. Captain Slug

20. Captain Slug

I didn't get much done today because the first half of it was spent cleaning up the house and then tidying up my work areas. After all of that was done I did manage to get all of the aluminum frame pieces cut to length.
    [​IMG]
    I'll take these to the machine shop tomorrow to get them milled, drilled, and tapped. I figure out a way to make the frame halves without having to use angle brackets or welding.