1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MKV Convert!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Blogins, 18 Feb 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

This is really stupid, as with other threads I've joined in condemnation of PowerDVD! Bought the Blu-ray drive, installed bundled software, tried to play Avatar and PowerDVD demanded payment for an 'upgrade' to play a disc format that is supposedly compatible with the bundled software!

Anyway to cut a long story short I discovered the delights of MKV with an excellent program called MakeMKV. Within an hour I produced my first Avatar MKV and it was up and running in VideoLAN! I've not tried it yet but MakeMKV can actually stream content from the Blu-ray over to VideoLAN, so you don't even need to extract the video in to a large all consuming file.

Really it's little wonder piracy is rampant considering what a pain the nice expensive legitimate software is to use with HDCP! Why bother when one simple file and a double click of the mouse button is all you need? Anyways, being an MKV virgin I'd appreciate any pointers from experienced users.

2. SouperAndy

SouperAndy To Bumble or not to Bumble?

MKV is just a container format and can contain different video & audio codecs (like AVI). For instance, Blu-Rays can use different video codecs like VC-1, .h264 & even MPEG2. Similarly, audio is usually TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc but MKV also supports MP3, FLAC, etc.

I use a combination of AnyDVD HD ($$$-ware) and MeGUI (free) to rip my Blu-Rays.

AnyDVD removes the copy protection and I then use MeGUI to extract the video and audio streams and then mux into MKV. I don't re-encode the video, but I generally 'downgrade' the audio from TrueHD to AC3 and DTSMA to DTS.

That's my solution anyway :)

Cheers,

SouperAndy :worried:

3. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Yep, MakeMKV rocks. I ripped my DVD collection to a NAS and stream to my WDTV Live downstairs. Awesome. There's not much more to learn really - enjoy!

4. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

+1 for MakeMKV I copy all my DVD / Blu Rays to my media server.

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Anyone else have the bug where you go to the folder where the mkv files are made and explorer crashes? I get that. Something to do with the files being of a certain type, size etc. W7 pro 64 bit. Any ideas? Anyone else know where to get a perm version and not just trial version?

Last edited: 2 Mar 2011
  6. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I think you can buy the permanent version from the website, but until it is 100% finished, the developer seems happy to keep dishing out free trial licenses - I have been using it for aaages...

As for the crash, sorry can't help you there - I am running a similar system 7 64bit, and had no problems. My only little annoyance is the thumbnails for the videos sometimes work and sometimes don't.