1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp MNPCtech & Bit-Tech.net case design contest

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Dark~3nergy, 1 Apr 2010.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Whoa! Is that a 'overkill grill' in the center?

Looks really meaty and industrial - sort of what we've come to expect from you, Seth. Which reminds me - how's the Scrapbot project coming along?

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Confusis - I like where you stuffed the drives. That thing is going to be a real cat vacuum.
    @editor - Shrink it, but keep that design!!!
    @Seth - did you ever see that suggestion I made about the bars on ModBros? If you build this, do it while you are still young and have a healthy back. It's a pity custom aluminum extrusions are friggen expensive.

3. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

Looking great guys, I like the aluminum extrusion style Seth, but i'm not to sure on the colour?

Here is what i am working on, The colours are just a visual reference :). I'm working on a theme based on Wood, Aluminium and Acrylic. With Countersunk, Light and Chilly as it's main Features.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Apr 2010
  4. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Member

Hey guys,

some pretty nice and awesome designs in here already :jawdrop: I thought I might try something too. I haven't really used Sketchup for long, so it's a bit simpler then other designs :blush:

Here's my attempt of making a case :|

Basically, it's a tiny case that can "expand". There's the possiblity to flip open the top covers and create space for the video card, and also to gain access to the components whenever you need to.

Opened up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closed and covered up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly enough, I completely forgot about the PSU, so I have to either use an external power brick or somehow manage to intergrate it... I just don't really like the look of the case with the PSU in there...

[​IMG]

It obviously isn't done yet but this is it so far :p

5. Cheapskate

Welcome to Bit-Tech!:clap: A smaller than ATX PSU could be the answer there. There's also the option of modifying the PSU to fit.:D
    A flexible PCIE riser for the video card would be an option too. You could mount it to your door.

...Oh, right... I came to post.:duh:
    [​IMG]
    -I don't like how the grille is coming out. It looks like Kendo headgear. In the spirit of SFF, I've decided to cram as many parts as possible inside. You will note the optical drive had to be inserted rectally.:p

@Bent - "Chilly as it's main features" -? Phase change, or Tex-Mex?

6. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Looking good cheaps, no chance of putting that thing with the back against a wall though... XD

7. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

You'll have to wait and see Cheapskate :)

8. asura

asura jack of all trades

So far...

[​IMG]

Components + mobo tray 90% done, the actual body of the case will probably be quite plain, just the large res at the front acting as a distorting window... and maybe a bit of Escher thrown in for good luck...

9. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

woah asura, that's really compact ! :thumb:

10. Trance

Mine is coming along nicely now, almost finished it, just the tubing to do, once thats done maybe Ill think of other things to add to it, and Ill get some final pictures up, showing you its little taking apart trick, small hint to it in this picture for the eagle eyed, oh and its name too :)
    [​IMG]

11. Cheapskate

@asura - Props to you for managing to cram 4x120 radiator space in there. You will need trained hamsters to get everything connected.:D
    @Trance - Could it have something to do with the seam running down the middle?

12. Trance

it could be, it could be :D

13. asura

asura jack of all trades

Hmm... Is Trances a slider, or a swinger...

Cheeps, would you be able to squeeze a slimline optical between the 120x2 and the first 120 rad's, the slight break might make it look less kendo-masque-esque. And yes it's going to be tight as a painted on shirt, but it should be do-able. The pump and res are attached to the main load-bearing structure (not shown) everything else gets assembled out-with, and the backplate and front plate (again not shown) screw in once the pump and res have been connected... should work, but there's a very definite construction path, deviate and be damned.

Bartaggio, I really like the idea of an origami pc; think about a 1U psu? Longer but shorter than ATX and 400/500W ones aren't unusual these days. Would obviously need re-wiring for 6pin pcie etc. With power bricks you'd probably need two, or three, one for the board and one or two for the gpu, how high do they go these days?

And I want to see more of Editor22's spider monster, and Bentleya's bevel sexiness.

14. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Damn all of these entries are just outstanding! seems like everyone has come back in force for this one :)

@ Cheap - why not run with the kendo theme now its there and strap on a huge mutha******* sword to the back!

@ bentleya - A wooden case huh :p think that's a first for the SU comps isn't it? Loving the countersunk goodness and all the bevelled details.

@ asura - :jawdrop: Cant believe you managed to squeeze all that in there!

@ Dark - Threw some test pieces in to make a general frame for size references..... is this to big? I don't mind starting something else if it is :)

[​IMG]

15. Cheapskate

@asura - The face is one radiator. (...well, 3 radiators soldered together.) I want to add a water clock to the side, but I'm having a hard time getting it to not look like crud.
    A rear mounted drive should be OK if I dress the back panel, right?
    @editor - The legs need a dual function, like holding a bank of ssd drives. The repeated layer pattern in the top needs to carry on in the bottom too.:D (Do my bidding, minions!!:lol:)

16. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

lol steady on cheaps, that's just some blank shapes for sizing up the case and to see if dark thinks its "small" enough lol:)

PS. the SSD bank and 2x120mm custom rads allready have their homes planned :)

17. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

that looks awesome editor ! and the size should be fine so no worries

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I'm in too!

Does it count as SFF if it's just one-dimensionally small? Here's a fast sketch of what i'm thinking of, the whole thing will be only 8cm high, including the feet. :D
    [​IMG]

It's meant to be the ideal case for use in combination with an eyefinity 3-screen setup, but you probably guessed that from the shape already :D

19. disturbed13

disturbed13 New Member

where in the world did you find that mobo?

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

He made it up :D