1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp MNPCTech Design Contest Volume 6 - Modify a Cooler Master HAF 932

Discussion in 'Modding' started by confusis, 16 May 2011.

1. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

:jawdrop:

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

nice idea .... HDD amno crate :thumb: .... I like the curtain

EDIT : Little update to show the little modifications

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hardware and cooling (transparency enabled)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Jun 2011
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@asura -And the bays fold out to help produce lift.:D
    @Guille - Dat moire pattern is killin' me. I want to look, but I can't blink fast enough!:lol:

4. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Awesome work so far guys, keep it up..or else! XD

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

Oh no, not HDD's; this case is far to massive for that! Those are bays for M-ITX motherboards, and they are suitably wimpy slimline 100mm fans cheeps, so no fear of it taking off. Meet my cluster computer design :p

And the shuttering was actually my last desperate option, I'd tried swing doors, sliding doors (independent and twofold) but in the end this was the only idea that worked... glad to hear it turned out ok :)

Haven't had opportunity to work on the other internals so they're pretty much all still the same stock.

Guille I'm loving the blue/black displays the design very cleanly without any of the distractions.

Cheeps, we need more crazy ideas!!!

6. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Are you guys not supposed to MODIFY a HAF 932? LOL in the last 2 concepts it can be any case.

Still looks cool though.

7. GuilleAcoustic

The chassis is still the one from the HAF ..... just stripped front, top and side panels, all plastic parts, bays. There's still the core of the HAF inside those things :blush:

8. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

there is one message the guys from Coolermaster who are lurking this thread can learn from this:

Your original design is f*cking ugly!

Y/k ;)

9. GuilleAcoustic

This is rude ... but I have to agree. The HAF is not a sexy box :lol:

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

ucking fgly.
    @asura- I should have known they weren't drives. I've turned my crazy idea momentum to other things at the moment. -Here's one in text: Carbon fiber skulls.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

OK, as I don't have time to post at the 15th or 16th I'll post my final entry now...

Hafnium picture spam incoming :hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it, and good luck to everyone :thumb:

12. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Sure it's rude... but it is true. I got a HAF case, and all I can say is it's a POS. It does not look good, and is designed really badly. The fans are not even that loud, but the case rattles like hell and is built pretty badly. Many of these flaws wouldn't even have been that hard (or more expensive) to fix. All those tacky edges like the useless flat surface on top that is not big enough for an external HDD or anything that always have iritated reviewers cause the damn noise. The case was not noisy from the beginning though, it took a few weeks until the rattling started.

I never cut myself when installing any hardware, and everything is powdercoated properly. Unfortunately that is the only positive thing I got to say about the case. Considering the price I paid for it that's just not enough.

I really tried to come up with some ideas for the competition, but my hatred for the case overshadowed my creativity. All designs I could come up with are the same kind as the one from asura and many others here - as nice as they are, they look great! - are not really a modified HAF case, but just a case that has the same dimensions.

Imho the task was to modifiy the case, which means the origin should be recognizable. jrs77 did one of the best jobs so far, he clearly did away with the ugly features of the case, but it still is recognizable.

As I said, that probably goes a long way to show how much we all appreciate the design of this series.

Of course that is only my opinion, the rules say otherwise. And I am not complaining about the work of others (well at least not about the work of people from this forum my dear devs from a certain company), but that's what I'd demand from myself.

tl;dr: I hate Coolermaster and the HAF cases

/rant

Last edited: 9 Jun 2011
  13. asura

asura jack of all trades

And I'm exactly the same, new top to cover up the holes I don't need, remove the drive bays 'cause I don't need them, remove the plastic front fascia 'cause it's fuggly, jigsaw out a hole for the fan-array, and make the new side-panels; that's it.

+1

Meh, skulls never did anything for me, a nice dragon though, that's more my style :p

That is a fair few images JRS77 yes! I love the cartoon style, less so the blue tone but the layout it pretty smooth and I like being able to see/fill the reservoir's from the top.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Schanke dön Aterius and thanks asura ;)

I've modeled a miniITX HAF aswell, but that would've required a complete scratch-build basically, so I discraded it as an entry.

And yeah, it's not really the best case you can get for that money :hehe:

I went with a light blue as I didn't want to go with grey, white or orange like I usually do. The lighter colour is needed to see something, if you don't render the thingy :p

Last edited: 9 Jun 2011
  15. GuilleAcoustic

Nice job JRS77, really nice design :thumb:.

I think mine doesn't ressemble the original coz' I really don't like the HAF :lol:.

16. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Ok guys, who wants an extension to the time limit? I'm considering the 30th, if the demand is there. I'm leaving for a 3 day LAN in ~7 hours so I will take votes up until then to make my decision!

17. GuilleAcoustic

Why not, but I'm almost done. Maybe some people would like to have more time :thumb:

Today's work :

Modeled custom CPU blocks :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details on how they are made (3 layers : fins with in / out hole, channels between the two CPU, maze on each CPU). The link between blocks is made the same way than the GPU block (nickel platted copper pipes)

[​IMG]

Hope you like it :blush:

18. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

AN extension couldn't hurt me, I'm soooooooooo rusty.

Hope the concepts espoused count as much as the ability to design these days...

19. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

so thats 2 for 0 against so far :)

Re: concepts, thats up for the community to decide as this is a community judged contest..

Oh and PLEASSSEEEE bit-tech could we have a front page article?

20. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

after seeing this i really want to play minecraft now
    blasted zombies :p