1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp MNPCTech Sketchup Case Design Competition 3

Discussion in 'Modding' started by confusis, 7 Sep 2009.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You threw in just enough crazy to make me happy.:D I like the modular aspects. That sucker would be heavy in all copper.:hehe:

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

I aim to please :)

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Very nice! luv that front grill design too!

4. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

i did this the other day, small dual i7 miniITX system. :)
    would be used as a rendering slave.

[​IMG]

5. Cheapskate

Do you have the whole thing hanging from those 2 bars in the back? That's cool!

6. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

Dark~3nergy looks great :D

7. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

thanks ^^

yeah cheaps, it's supported by two steel rods.
    [​IMG]

8. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

One more day guys !

all my pics are only 800x600 i could provide higher res pics later aswell, but i moved back to germany now so i have to set up my rig first ;)

9. Cheapskate

****! I have to install a floor.
    Consider mine done.

10. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

My final entry. I haven't had time to work on it as much I would have liked, so there is some glaring faults (such as no hole for the cables out from the main compartment, or any color at all...). But anyways here it is: A 50's radio combined with a boombox and an aquarium (I toyed with the idea of having small plastic fishes suspended with fishing lines inside the water and oil :D)!

[​IMG]
    The two side "speakers" contains a 120x2 and a 120x1 radiator. The narrow compartments after contains a pair of pumps and functions as the watertanks for the GPU and CPU/RAM loops. And the middle compartment contains the computer, with an gigantic combination of a waterblock and a heatsink over the motherboard, RAM modules, as well as the graphics cards. This is then submerged in oil to (hopefully) cool it a bit more.

[​IMG]
    Shot from the back showing a heatsink that maybe allows a bit more passive cooling, as well as the quick connect connectors for the waterloop. This is to allow one to carry the parts separately. Note also how I haven't made any holes for the USB/power/video/etc. cables. You have to imagine it uses some kind of high-tech wireless transfer for that :worried:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Closeups of the motherboard and GPU waterblocks/heatsinks. The fans should (maybe) move some oil between the fins if the heatsink, allowing a bit more semi-passive cooling.

There it is. Godd luck to all participants! All entrys and ideas I have seen so far are either amazing or fantastic!

11. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

nice entries guys!

12. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Entries close in 15 and 1/2 hours!
    (@ Midday 1st December GMT)
    oooh look at all the formatting tags!

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Some great designs guys, wish I'd been able to keep up to date a bit better this time round.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I promise I will take part in the next compo, I would have had a go in this one, but so far this year, Ive been so snowed under with work...

Dare I say more snow than John has had in Colorado?

15. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

3 hours!​

16. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

oh boy oh boy! Time to post some updated pictures! 150 minutes to work with... wish me luck!

17. Xtrafresh

goddammit!, i JUST wont make it with the updated pictures. Concider the earlier post i made my enrty for now, if you'll allow me i'll have 5 better ones in half an hour.

18. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

confusis ure goin to post mine ???

19. Xtrafresh

:worried:

Ninja entry!

I present to you Fresh Form Factor! It's a case designed to put maximum performance and features in the smallest possible footprint. It's capable of housing (and cooling) two high-end GPUs (ATI HD5870), mATX motherboard, and three full-size HDDs.
    I had a number of goals when i was designing the case.
    1) Make it as small as possible
    2) present the components in an interesting way
    3) include a couple of technical features that are uncommon in other mods
    4) build in the strongest possible cooling to allow for some heavy overclocking.

I started off by taking apart a shuttle case, and see how everything is housed in there. I decided that the conventional placement of motherboards in such cases (flat on the bottom) is not very appealing to the eye, so i placed the motherboard at an angle.
    Using a risercard, i placed the graphics card(s) at the other side, at the same angle. The rest of the design basically evolved from there.

I decided to watercool the components, because airflow inside the case isn't going to be optimal, so the large heatsinks for GPU and CPU that would be needed would simply not fit. I placed two single radiators in the front (two single ones next to eachother tit in tighter spaces then a single 2x120mm radiator, because the fittings on those are always length-oriented) and fitted two San Ace industrial fans to them. Together, these rads and fans can dissipate almost 600W of heat when the water is no more then 10 degrees above room temperature. Although this will not give me the ultimate holy grail in silence or temps, it's going to be a very respectable setup, with a fair margin more overclocking headroom then moost bigtower aircooled setups.

Did i mention i'm actually going to build the case? HighFlow.nl (a dutch computer cooling webshop) agreed to sponsor me, even though i never finished a project before and i'm VERY slow going. :clap:
    I wanted to incorporate the sponsor in the design, without resorting to cheap-looking stickers or engraving anything into the windows. Instead, i took their logo and used the wave on the side of my case.
    This is also how i got the idea for the very unorthodox DVD loading mechanism. It's just an opening in the sidepanel, where a DVD fits in snugly. You then roll it backwards, into the hidden slot-loading DVD drive.

The reservoir on the front also deserves a special mention. There's some UV-light and a black double helix inside. This should bring out the red fluid beautifully, while also acting as a good fillport for the loop.

Finally, there's the screen on top, which is a 7" mimo USB touchscreen. It will be used to display a samurize profile where i can control temps and fanspeed, media, RSS feeds, or just a cool graphic :D

Here's two overview shots, first the front:
    [​IMG]

And then the back:
    [​IMG]

Inside, the components are incredibly jammed together, here's a pic that might explain a bit:
    [​IMG]

And here you see just the cooling components:
    [​IMG]

I'm going to finish strong, with a nice gloryshot that includes a goodlooking part of the loop, the double-helix reservoir, the DVD loading slot, and the graphics cards:
    [​IMG]

20. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Very nice Xtra except for the 5870s! I'll have great grandchildren before people quit whining about 'Where's the 5870!'

Lots of interesting ideas, slanted MB to show off, good use of riser cards/cables, screen on top is cool.

Any thoughts about handle for moving or just pick up whole case. I move Notalis by holding on to the extended fan bezel.

john