1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile 1.5Ghz or AMD 64 Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyberbob:-), 24 Aug 2004.

1. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Member

Hi guys,

Whats the difference, performance wise in a laptop with a 1.5 mobile( Centrino) processors and something like A AMD 64 3200+.

Both laptops have a ATI 9700 pro card with 128mb, 512mb. I know the mobile one's battery last longer than the AMD one.

Here are the 2 I've been looking at.
    Rockdirect

And the FUJITSU SIEMENS

2. Austin

Austin Active Member

:confused: So you want to know how a Centrino 1.5ghz fairs up against an Athlon64_3200+? The Centrino is basically just a Pentium-M, the Centrino name is permitted if certain other things meet Intel's criteria, the idea being that the mobo and stuff can fully utilise all of the CPU's features. So Centrino 1.5ghz = Pentium-M 1.5ghz. Intel have just released new 90nm Pentium-M (Dothan core?) which I think has a few optimisations, it's also less power hungry than an older P-M. The fastest new one is the Pentium-M_755 which runs at 2ghz which uses less power than the old P-M 1.5ghz, this can stick it out with the Athlon64_3000+ and P4 3.2ghz in most things. I'd say the older design at 1.5ghz is going to be loads slower but if battery life is your biggest concern it would win. I'd imagine P-M 1.5ghz would be able to kick it with a P4 2.0ghz in most things, so certainly no slouch.

3. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Get the Centrino it will provide much better battery life and will probably be just as fast. My friends Dell D600 1.7Ghz kills his P4 3.2Ghz main PC at anything cpu intensive.

The 1.5Ghz is no slouch and will most likely be on par if not better than a 2.4Ghz P4.

4. Highland3r

Highland3r New Member

Yip, would go the centrino route as well, its gonna be loads cooler, run longer, and you get wireless and such with it. To get a rough desktop equiv speeds with the centrinos, multiply by 1.9 :), so thats ~ 2.85 ghz equiv.

5. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Member

I think the only things that Intel has over AMD is batt life and weight. Both of these machines are about the same weight, so all you will really get is batt life. AMD still has the 64bit capability and will also scream at 32bit. In the price range you are looking at you could prabably find a Fujitsu Ferrari Notebook. Its got all the bells and whistles (sp?) and great to look at! So my opinion: You want battery life, go Centrino. You want performance, go Athlon64.

6. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Do be brutally honest the NX bit at the moment is not as effective as a decent antivirus program and never will be.

The A64 clock for clock will actually get beaten by the Pentium-M! Its that fast.

Thirdly 64bit is overrated at the moment its only going to show benifits when a 64bit OS comes out (I mean windows here not linux) and more programs are compiled for it (this will take a long time)

A64 laptops do not have a performance advantage over P-Ms.

7. Austin

Austin Active Member

:thumb: Well NX with OS support (XP SP2?) offers great protection and is not intended to replace antivirus sw. What it does is prevent areas of memory containing non-executable code from being executed. ie Protection from buffer overflows etc. This is certainly not the only way a virus can get on your system but is a very nice idea, hence why Intel are copying it with their newest CPUs. I'd say people are getting a little carried away with Pentium-M (Centrino) perf. Almost double the perf per clock of a P4? Faster than Athlon64 at the same clock speed? Over all I seriously doubt it, at least until Intel get a new mobo chipset, 800FSB, Dual Channel PC3200 and probably Dual Core +HT into Pentium-M (and probably tag it as 'Pentium 5').

8. Lynx

Lynx New Member

The NX bit just closes off one area of attack for viruses/worms (mainly worms). Nothing is better than up to data AV so infact the NX bit is kinda redundant.

Performance wise the Pentium M is a hot cooky. In some areas such as MP3 encoding a 1.7Ghz P-M does beat a P4 (my friend has shown this) Gaming wise its hot as well. So basically yor choice is Pentium M for battery life: Athlon 64 for ? as the performance difference is neglegable as if you realy want to game with a laptop then the GFX card is more important.

Pentium 5 will never exist that has pretty much been confirmed and neither will you see HT on a P-M derived core its architecture doesnt suit it.

9. Cyberbob:-)

Wow! So many replies. So is the Pentium-M CPU any good?

To be honest I don't really know what chip to go for. I would like the AMD 64 but I would also like a battery that will last longet than 90mins.

I want the power and also the battery life, what ever I go for I want at least a ATI 128mb 9700 chip in it. Also I want wireless, 512mb memory and anything over 40gig hard drive space, more the better. At least a 15" screen. Would also like a DVD burner... :D

I've got about £1200 to spend

Anybody got any recomendations???

10. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Take your pick

Dell make crap desktops but their Laptops are only bettered by IBM and those cost a ton.

11. Cyberbob:-)

Yeah! But none one of those has a ATI 128mb 9700..

I'll be using it for 3D stuff and maybe playing Medal of Honor... :D

Been looking at the Acer's. They have plenty to chose from, I would like one with DVDR- but i Don't think i will get that with everthing else I want, not for the price anyway. This one looks ok...Acer 2023 WLMi

12. Mosha

Mosha New Member

Desktop... :rock: :hehe:

13. Austin

Austin Active Member

;) NX is still good added protection, check how many new viruses are discovered each week and how many systems get infected before antivirus software gets a virus definition update to combat it.

:cooldude: The Mobility 9700 is a great onboard solution but do bear in mind it's 9600XT rather than 9700/9800. So a very good mid-range card still capable of playing games like Doom III and Farcry pretty well. For gaming the gfx is more important than the CPU and the P-M 1.5ghz won't be holding you back in games nor choking the Mob9700. With the superior battery life the P-M with Mob9700 seems a great buy. If you wanted something more powerful then it will cost you a LOT more, along the lines of A64 or fast P-M combined with Mob9800 (which truly is at 9800Pro levels). Some reviews on perf below ...

P-M_755 (2.0ghz), A64_3000+ (2.0ghz), P-M_745 (1.8ghz), A64_2800+ (1.8ghz), classic P-M 2.6ghz, Celeron-M 1.4ghz and P4 3.2ghz:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2129&p=7

P-M_735 (1.7ghz), P4 3.2ghz and A64_2800+ (1.8ghz):
    http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dothan&page=1

C-M1.3, P-M1.6, P-M1.7 and P4 2.4ghz (JAPANESE):
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2004/0514/pclabo24.htm

:) The P-M Dothan improves over the previous P-M Banias by using 90nm (vs 130nm), 2MB L2 cache (vs 1MB), some enhancements (eg pre-fetch), lower voltage, less power (1/5 of Prescott), double the transistor count meaning a 6% larger die size. Still 400FSB (4x100mhz), mPGA749, Single Channel PC2700, SSE1&2 with Enhanced Speedstep.