1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Mobile Game Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CardJoe, 7 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

One of the downsides to not being able to drive is that I end up spending a lot of time at trainstations everyday and I need to amuse myself. I've read pretty much every book I own twice, I don't always want to carry my PSP/DS/EEE and the Metro isn't available in the evening - so I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a decent game I could play on my mobile.

I have an O2 Cocoon phone, which should run about any J2ME game I can find, but I can't find anything that I'm sure will give me decent replayability. I'm really looking for just a simple Rogue-like or an Ultima-type of RPG if possible - something like Sigmore Mines. Or an open-world trader, like Pirates! or Freelancer or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

About a year ago I played a Metal Slug game on someone's phone, that was good, not sure about rpgs though, have you tried doom?

3. alastor

alastor Well-Known Member

Last edited: 7 Sep 2008
  4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I like the gameloft poker games and stuff like that

also Virtual Pool Mobile is awesome. Don't know if these are j2me or what though

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

You can't do better than original Zelda. It's been ported to mobiles in several formats and versions and is available free somewhere, legally (I know, I found it once and play it constantly now).

6. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Puzzle Quest? Should run on your phone although it goes beyond replayability and will probably mean you end up missing your stop... I had to remove it from my phone and force myself to only play it on the 360. It eats enough of my life as it is.

7. airchie

airchie New Member

sudoku ftw tbh :)

8. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Tetris :) The fun never stops

9. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Konami ported the original Metal Gear to java for phones and it plays pretty well. There's also a Metal Gear Ac!d Mobile, which isn't half-bad but rather slow-paced.

For mobile gaming though it's hard to beat GameBoy and NES Emulation..

http://arktos.se/meboy/ - MeBoy - GameBoy Emulator

http://www.vampent.com/vnes.htm - vNes - NES Emulator. These guys only offer a limited trial though, insisting you pay to get the full version, which harks back to the days of Bleem! and is morally reprehensible, if you ask me.

The speed of emulation is solely dependent on the speed of your phone.
    I find that my SE w810i can handle black & white GameBoy emulation through MeBoy fine for the most part, with just some slowdown here and there (particularly on screen fades and whole-screen-redraws) but slows to an unplayable crawl in GameBoy Color emulation.
    NES Emulation is relatively fast, but seems to be glitchier and more prone to screen layers appearing in the wrong order, etc.

Faster, newer phones don't seem to suffer from the same slowdown that I get, so you may be lucky.

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Wow, thread revive.

The problem is that my phone seems to have some sort of protection on it. Konami don't recognise the phone for some reason and unless I can download and install over WAP or GPRS or whatever then it doesn't recognise the game is there. I do have Zelda, but I don't rate it to be honest. Anybody here an expert at circumventing whatever protection may be in place on my phone?

11. hodgy100

hodgy100 New Member

sonic the hedgehog on mobile is very good :D

12. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I play Lemmings on mine, but i don't know if it will work on your phone, as you kinda need the touchscreen for it to work properly.
    Think i will have to look for Sonic for mobile, hope its Sonic 2 :thumb:

Sam

Tags: