1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Mobo battery dead?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Zener Diode, 26 Jul 2011.

1. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

Hi guys.

The other day when I booted my PC the CPU fan was running at full speed. I got a message saying overclocking failed, revert to default settings or something. I had XMP enabled, no manual OC at the time. The computer booted, worked OK etc. Now It continuously reverts to full CPU fan speed when I boot and sometimes when I return from standby. Once booted I can set the fan to silent, and CPU temps hold out at about 33 degrees C under normal use. The motherboard is an Asus P6T SE, with an i7 920. Are the BIOS settings being reset due to dead motherboard battery, or is this some other hardware issue? Thanks.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I would say you are right. The bios defaulting is usually the first sing that the battery in knackered. If you need to put a really silly setting in the bios, then unplug the PC for 5 mins, if it's gone when you boot up again, then the battery has no power left at all .

Zener Diode likes this.
  3. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I'll try and pick up a new battery. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for any anomalies, just in case.

Thank you.