1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Mobo screw fiber washers - Quite possibly a stupid question!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pete*, 14 Jan 2012.

1. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Um, right so i'm moving my mobo to a new case.

I've managed to lose one of the red washers that sit under the head of the screws holding
    the mobo in.

Can I do without or should I get another… all the way into town for a tiny red washer thing. ARGH!! :waah:
    Or can I use something else? Bit of paper maybe?

I've never not used them, so i'm wary of not using one on it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I have never seen washers included with the motherboard stand-off screws!

Why would you need washers? Maybe tighten up a bit nicer, in which case one missing would hardly make any difference anyway. Additionally the screws ground the motherboard to the case, if washers block contact between the board and the screws this would stop that. I would not worry about it at all.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The last time I saw these washers, where from ultra cheap cases. What case did you buy?

If your case is grounded, then you don't need these washers.

4. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Um, they come with the motherboard. ASUS P5Q Pro is what I bought and i've always had them
    since.

The case i'm moving into is a Corsair 700D 2nd hand.
    If there is no need for them then i'll just forget about using one on it. :)

Cheers for help guys

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Quick job with a piece of card and a pencil?

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

you don't need them. I've never used them.

7. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Whilst i wouldnt bother with them either, I think they would be designed to fit under the mobo to avoid shorting on motherboard tracks.

As mentioned the screw heads are supposed to touch the top of the mobo, thats why you see them fancy solder raised points, to help with a good grounding point.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

That makes no sense... Why? The screw conduct electricity, and so is the holder screw on the case. So putting the red ring is 100% useless.

I have never seen a motherboard coming with screws rings. Maybe it's a Europe (and I think Japan too) thing, for the places that don't have a ground in their wall plugs. But I am just guessing.

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

If you're in England and your plugs don't have Ground; You're still living in about 1925. I don't understand the point, unless it's to stop you from tightening the screws to the point where you crush the motherboard. But you'd have to be using a Cordless Drill to achieve that feat anyway, which the washers would do bugger all to stop.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Nope. The area around each of the screws is electrically isolated from the motherboard tracks. Their intended purpose is... as a spring washer... purely to spread loading, and to help resist vibration loosening the screw.

NOT using them has an advantage though, as the motherboard can discharge any static to the case, and then via the PSU to ground.

I've never used them.

11. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Yep true, theres always enough room for the jack posts to not touch mobo tracks, just like you im still trying to understand why they would bother with the washers.
    Sounds like a golf..... youd think if meant to act like a spring washer, why not use a spring washer or shakeproof washer to avoid screws loosening.

Just stick em in your miscellaneous box, there always come in usefull for some mod or other.

On my old Tagan psu it had an earth lead, so i could take it to one of my mobo grounding points.

I dont seem to see this on any psus now, i always do earth bonding checks when building a scratch build,.