1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Mod for my dad, opinions needed.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Gascan1888, 14 Oct 2006.

1. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 New Member

Okay my dad asked me to make him a flash light thingy, imatating This . he just wants the LED part to illuminate the blood trail, not the big xenon bulb. theres more out there like it, this is just the first i found with google. Now do you guys think those are just UV LEDS, with some red ones too ? i dont realy know if this will work, or how it works and just wanted your guys ideas. if you think it will work, im prolly gona mod it into a big Mag light.

2. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 New Member

Im sure its just uv leds (Check out CSI), but i don't know for sure.

3. Upriverpaddler

Upriverpaddler New Member

Google is very stingy on this subject. But I did find this little quote.

"These Illuminator units provide a unique Blood Tracking Light System or BTLS. It is an array of four LEDs which form a multi-function light system,

1. A single red light for a flashlight that will not disturb animals on the way to and from stands
    2. Three white lights for normal high powered flashlight use at night to see what is scanned
    3. Blinking red light in conjunction with the three white lights to make blood virtually jump out at you in the dark."

This does kind of fit with the one you linked to. It looks like it has some white or blue LED's and one red one.

You could get a good handful of blue, white, red, and UV leds for cheap. Then test the different kinds with the red one (blinking or not). Then after you figure it out you can mount them in something.

You can get an LED flashlight from walmart and replace the bulbs in it.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2006
  4. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Mor ethan likely a UV array with red lights to. But it oculd be ultra high temp. light from the LEDs like uber blue-white light with flashing red in order to flash the blood and screw with contrast to make it really blow up. I think a 555 timer wired up right could flash red leds and an on off switch for both the white, UV, red lights w/e.

blood contains phosphors so it will glow in the right UV conditions.

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I spent a few minutes trying to find reviews on the product, but without any success.

Also, I really don't think that blood is UV reactive, but that's just a baseless assumption.

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I believe Upriverpaddler found your answer. (no UV involved - some of you watch too much CSI)

Basic science says red things like blood reflect red light better than other things (like green leaves - which shouldn't reflect at all) except of course for white items which reflect all colours. The flashing red simply emphasises (sp?) red items - making them appear to flicker.

Is there a store near you where you could try one out?

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Tyinsar conveys the explanation I suspect is true too, but the blue LEDs have a purpose too. Maybe they are used to oversaturate or essentially cancel out all of the other wavelengths the ground objects might reflect.

It says they calibrated a specific spectrum - maybe the "red" LEDs aren't absolute wavelengths but specially selected to cover a slightly broader spectrum. I really don't think that there's a way to reverse-engineer something like this.

8. Upriverpaddler

Upriverpaddler New Member

Yes, google dosen't have much about what works, but plenty of places that say UV dosen't work.

9. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 New Member

thanks guys, i didnt think it would be so easy ! i might have to go find one to play with to see how it works.