1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors mod ideas 1980 malibu

Discussion in 'General' started by Cookiemonster101, 10 Mar 2005.

1. Cookiemonster101

Cookiemonster101 What's a Dremel?

hey guys, im trying to map out a budget for a remodel on a 1980 chevy malibu.

it need some mechanical work, but i was wondering if you guys had any advice on mods. i was thinking of shaving the door handles (its a project for school and i need practice). i dunno what else really, i dont want it to be a hot pink car with a wing or anything, but i need several projects that are relevant to welding/ bodywork. any ideas? its a 4 door, it will be made into a 2 door possibly with suicide doors if im ambitious enough. maybe even make it a roadster.

any input on likes/dislikes would be very welcome

2. penski

penski BodMod

Slam it into the weeds, smooth out the bodywork, remove all chrome, weld up, smooth and finish the rear doors, paint it matte black with clear gloss flames (such a fan****ingtastic look) or matte black with purple scallops, chop the roof and put spats over the rear wheelarches.

*n

3. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

have you got any pics?
    welding up the rear doors might not be a good idea as if its a large car (which being american it probably is) it'll look stupid

4. Cookiemonster101

sorry, no hostin or working digicam here, but if you wanna see an example try

www.longislandhotrods.com/hotrods/18.html

thats a 2 door, and id prefer a 2 door as its just going to be a rice killer street rod with a v8 which i cant afford to use asw a daily driver forshizle. but the 4 door is whats avaible to me. it is one of the good old chevy boats, v8 guzzler, but not as heavy as some of its cousins like the corvette. cuz its lighter you see alotta them made into drag racers, but im not into that.

if i weld up the rear doors id probably want to chop the top, which doesnt sound too bad at this point. already have the "r" title on it as it has no motor in it currently. planning a normal 350 plant (orig equipped with a 305) which will be easy to add to and build up over time seeing as i cant afford to do it all at once. but a well tuned 350 will be more than enough to smoke the tires and burn most of the posers around my place.

if i weld up the doors that means most likely a custom interior also. there is an interior shop at school tho, just means i have to take a few more classes, but may be well worth it.

paint wise, flat black with the clear flames sounds aweseome, but i was thinking a little bit more toned down. i dont want to be inviting the fuzz to pull me over everywhere. something close to a stock color, i like the blue of the link above. nothing crazyh at first.

also probably not a induction hood, as i think they are pretty dum unless you have a supercharger under the hood, and that silly for a street rod.

so i guess so far its looking like ill weld the rear shut and cut the top off, making it a roadster effectively. a dropped suspension for sure, probably some nice factory rims if i can find em.

still looking for that really unique thing to set it apart tho.....

5. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

I say weld in a nice roll cage, gut the interior, put a large rear end and upgrade suspension. put a 427 motor and tweak the hell out of that motor (shoudl be good for 600-700hp if done correctly) and put in a front suspension off a c5 corvette. lower it 1-1.5inches (enough to improve handling and not hinder perfomrance).

that should prove to be a nice lil fire breathing car. And as far as paint go for a cherry red with white stripes down the middle. And dont forget the large bowtie and SS sighn.

Good luck.

6. penski

penski BodMod

Not chop the roof off...Give it a chop top!

Clicky!

Chop tops look damn pro. Especially on street rods.

The drag look has been done to hell and back...smooth, low and stylish is the way to go.

*n

7. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

that choptop looks cool, still not sure if a 4 door converted to a 2 door would look good tho.
    how about if your wanting welding projects how about a head light/tail light conversion from another car. another idea could be to remove the side repeaters fill the holes and move them to the wing mirrors or move them to near the wheel arches like on the Porsche Boxster
    just look what people have done on similar cars to help with ideas

8. Cookiemonster101

i have enough trouble with headroom as it is, so i dont think that the chop top is for me. does look nice tho but id lean more toward comfort. its not going to be a daily driver, not with the v8. not going to be a show car either. im just trying for something i can have fun in. i love riding in my friends convertable around town, just screwwing around. its just a really cool feeling doing 80mph down the interstate blasting music. you cant help but smile. hell, i wont be driving a rwd car in the snow so why does it need a top?

my school has a huge archive of literature including specs and measurements on most cars. i might be able to reproduce some suspension parts on my own, hopefully reducing the cost.

the suspension will be dropped for sure (gonna try fabricating), and its porbably getting a 350 as i dont have the cash to throw down on anything else. most of the stuff i wanna change i can do myself in classes, but i cant afford to go out and buy all sorts of expensive stuff that i cant fabricate myself. this car smoked tires with the factory 305 engine, untill it threw a rod thru the block. i dont need to drag the thing, but i do love drifting around corners. i think the 350 will be plenty if i tune it correctly (my school has a dyno!!). already has a almost new 350 tranny in there. not the biggest or best but itll work great for me.

most i may spend would be on a ford 9" rear end. those things are friggin indestructable, and they have alotta aftermarket support. also , they arent too much if you get em used. same with the 350, most bang for the least amount of money, plus a huge selection of parts. also, i can easily upgrade the parts on it later without worries, there is a huge selection.

right now im working on getting it towed down there (4 hours away) affordably. ive been quoted 65cents a mile on the bed of a tractor trailer, but i cant afford that. anyone have any experience with those uhaul tow behind 2 wheel car dolies? im going to have to disconnect the driveshaft i think.

this is getting expensive and i havent even started on the dang thing.

9. tsa cain

tsa cain What's a Dremel?

Damn you. I wish my school had Auto shop classes. I think your ideas in the post above this one are very good ones.

10. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

not auto shop in school, im paying more than 25k USD to go to this school for a year.

my high school didnt have an auto shop, but there are vocational schools poppingn up all over the place for this kinda thing, as you need formal training in all this computer mumbo jumbo in todays cars.

11. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

what school is it. and i have a 79 2 door malibu with a rebuilt 283 in it. but i need to do sumthing about the interior (thinking about removing the back seat and moving the bucket seats back). but i dont think you should make it a 2 door the door will be to big and just loook retarded. the 2 door is about a door and a half lenght. + since the door is steel you might be putting to much weight on the hinges.

Now as for mods. I say make it look like the drag car 13x6 up front 15x9 in the rear so the front end is about an inch from the ground. Big block it (400 with a 350 crank, 373 i think it is) make sure the handles, bumpers and stuff are nice crome. paint color depending on interrior color (i like balck or dark blue) tint the windows. not sure. but i think the ford 9" rear end is posi but if not weld the spider gears.

if you want to do major body work could make it into a real 2 door.

but hey my opinion.

and if this is wyotech ull have to say hi to my brother.

oh and as for towing you dont have to disconnect the driveline. just throw it into nutral

Tags: