1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod of the Year 2011 Winners

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 4 Jan 2012.

1. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Thanks, I can't wait to receive the carbon fiber :D And to the other Peter: congrats man! To Mnpctech: thanks for sponsoring this epic contest Bill.

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I wanted some carbon fibre. :(
    Thanks for the prizes Bill! :thumb:

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I need a roll or 2 of that stuff for my next build.

4. KidMod-Southpaw

It's expensive...

5. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Well, I would like to own L3P's build and LOTS and LOTS of great modding/scratch building went into it - congrats, L3P!

Having said that, I'm also quite shocked seeing Waynio's StealthLow all the way "down" there - should have been in top 5. But, hey - at least he made it into top 15, which is quite an outstanding achievement if you look at all the awesome mods that came out in 2011 - including the ones that weren't in the MOTY compo for some reason....

6. KidMod-Southpaw

Please say refraction. :D
    Kidding, well done to you all!

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Wow the top 6 were all pretty close. Congratulations to all those who were nominated.

8. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Little kids and pc-enthusiasts that vote dont know how many hours Waynio or other respectful modders spend to create a unique SCRATCH build. I said it before and I will say it again. Scratch builds and case mods are 2 different things. Unique and original mods are also in the shadows cause people nowadays cant judge properly. They judge by the looks and how many leds and uv tubing is inside. No disrespect to the other modders as I respect each one of them and I am a friend with most. BUT we need judges who will read the worklogs, watch the videos and judge accordingly considering the originality of the mod, the difficulty, hours spent, attention to detail etc etc. No more public voting. As a modder that I respect my self and my efforts I request at least 2 different contests, one for case mods and one for scratch builds. Also no more public voting. For me its disrespect to my efforts, to my originality and creativity. I try really hard to bring unique creations that include countless hours of hard and handmade work and at the end there is a dead end due to not proper judging. Congrats to all the modders. I am officially out of any other public voting contests. I demand respect to my efforts and so must do all the other modders. Peace to all of you

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  9. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

Congratz all.

I did not vote because I could not decide what the fairest way to do it was, should I vote for the one which was the mod I would love to own which automatically rules out some of the larger less practical but still awesome mods.

Do I vote for the ones which are the coolest looking? Or perhaps I decide to vote for the one which had the most unique solutions to modding problems. I love the logs but there are some logs which are more interesting to read than others, that would also influence me. Perhaps I was the only one who was so indecisive!

Perhaps AnG3L is right and there needs to either be seperate categorys for scratch and case mods or there needs be a judging aspect on top of or seperate to the voting system.

I also think voting for so many without a ranking system does not work well but it is clear BT consider the system a work in progress, given that they changed it from last year.

10. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Well I think it speaks volumes that all the entrants got well over 100 votes for the professionalism and effort they put in. Also shows how diverse and great the Bit Tech membership is.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ah I've thought about the fan controller & huge thanks for the random prize :D appreciated :rock: but I don't use them so please let me nominate it to the lowest ranking unsponsored modder in the nominees it would cheer me up & others I think even though I'll be back to my usual self soon when I get back into a new project I'm quite happy to transfer my hardware from 1 case to another as long as it still performs well which I expect it will :D:rock::hehe:.

Not joking.

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  12. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

+1 I am definitely in support of AnG3L's sentiments above.

I would just like to say that I looked at and was impressed by a ton of the mods in this year's competition, but with that said and even as a past 2nd place finisher in this contest, I did not vote. This was because of the 10 vote requirement. I only thought 4 of the builds were worthy of the title and as such I could not bring myself to vote for 6 other less than worthy builds. It's unfair to those that stand out from the crowd and leads to people voting for the ones they like first and the ones they think cant win with the remaining votes.

Personally, I think we have had plenty of MOTY contests that we could create a voting class out of the top 3 (or 5 or however many) finishers each year from previous contests. This would treat this prestigious contest more like the heisman trophy.

But I also dont want to exclude the standard forum users and otyher great modders who havent made it into the contest from their opinions either, so I think it would work well to have 50% of the voting weight from the delegated "MoTY Modders" and 50% of the voting weight from the general forum.

I hope you guys can come up with something like this, because I see some HUGE discrepancies in the finishing order of the mods listed here. I dont know what happened, but it's not in my opinion indicative of the best mods weve seen completed this year.

13. Jezzafool

Jezzafool What's a Dremel?

Tip top prizes, well earned peoples!

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I think you are being a little bit unfair/condescending on those who voted, I'm aware of the differences between the two, and the different levels effort required for each of them. L3P D3SK won, so clearly others factor this into their decisions too. The fact is, I'd pick a well made, gorgeous looking case mod over a ugly and poorly designed scratch build, even if that latter took longer (not that this should even factor into it, as some people work faster than others). Are the people doing scratch builds really doing this to win competitions anyway, or because they love doing it and sharing their work with the community? I've seen your wonderful creations, and read your build logs and you definitely fall into the latter camp.

I agree that separate competitions would be a better way of doing things, but ultimately a scratch build won the competition, so credit is being placed where it is due.

15. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Personally I think it would be a bit silly to create scratch builds just to win some computer parts seams as so much time and money goes into making them, however the people who create them just to win might just want the fun of winning the competition more than the prises. I build scratch builds just because I like building stuff, however I am slightly motivated by the competition for a bit of fun :)

16. bulldogjeff

This thread really should be about congratulating the winners not a big debate about the competition so I've created this thread THE GREAT MOTY DEBATE for every one to air their views

17. bulldogjeff

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there was only about 5 builds that are not sponsored in some way in the comp this year including yours and mine.

18. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Congratulations to the winners and thank you for all the votes!

19. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

and mine :)

20. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

I hate the drama that goes with mod contests hence why I NEVER participate in them since my first CPU mag cover. I have judged MANY contests for CPU Magazine and even that is a total PITA as you always get grief. Everyone has their idea about how judging should be done (heck I get irritated as the outcome of many contests hence I do not pay attention anymore).

Congrats to everyone who was in the running and those who won - I think you all do amazing work.

Tags: Add Tags